Honours & Awards
1. Virat Kohli named ICC Men's Player of the Month For October 2022
- Indian cricketer, Virat Kohli has been named Men’s Player of the Month for October 2022 by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
- He was recognized for his outstanding performances in the shortest format of the game.
- While, Pakistani cricketer, Nida Dar was named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month.
- She has been honour for her sensational form in their Women’s Asia Cup campaign.
- International Cricket Council:
- Chairman: Greg Barclay
- Headquarters: Dubai, UAE
National & International Appointments
2. Former Justice Rituraj Awasthi appointed as Chairperson of Law Commission
- The Centre has appointed former Karnataka HC Chief Justice, Rituraj Awasthi as the chairperson of 22nd Law Commission of India.
- He was a Judge of Allahabad High Court.
- 22nd Law Commission was formed in February, 2020.
- Other members: Justice KT Sankaran(former Kerala HC judge), Prof. Anand Paliwal, Prof. DP Verma, Prof. (Dr) Raka Arya and M Karunanithi
- The term of 21st Law Commission was ended on August 31, 2018, which was headed by former SC judge Justice BS Chauhan.
Honours & Awards
3. NSA Ajit Doval to be awarded with Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman
- Ajit Doval (NSA), late CDS General Bipin Rawat among five distinguished people will be honoured with the 2022 Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman
- Others: Prasoon Joshi(Chairperson of CBFC), late Girish Chandra Tiwari ‘Girda’ (lyricist) and late Viren Dangwal (poet).
- About Uttarakhand Samman:
- Constituted: 2021
- It one of the two highest civilian awards of the state along with the Uttarakhand Ratna.
- It is awarded for their extraordinary contribution to any field of human endeavour
4. Anthony Sinisuka wins Men's singles title at 2022 Hylo Open
- Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (Indonesia) won the Men's Single title of the badminton's HYLO Open 2022, after defeating Chou Tien-chen (Taiwan).
- While, Han Yue (Chinese) has defeated Zhang Yi Man (Chinese) to win the women's single title at HYLO Open 2022
- Other winners:
- Men's doubles: Lu Ching-yao and Yang Po-han (Chinese Taipei)
- Women's doubles: Benyapa Aimsaard and Nuntakarn Aimsaard (Thailand)
- Mixed doubles: Rehan Naufal Kusharjanto and Lisa Ayu Kusumawati (Indonesia)
5. World Radiography Day 2022: November 8
- World Radiography Day is observed annually on November 8 to mark the anniversary of the discovery of x-rays.
- 2022 theme: Radiographers at the Forefront of Patient Safety
- The X-ray was discovered by Professor Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen (Wuerzburg University, Germany) in 1895.
- This was an accidental discovery by Professor while working with a cathode-ray tube in his laboratory.
- John Hall-Edwards used X-rays in a surgical operation for the first time in 1896.
6. UIDAI launches new chatbot ‘Aadhaar Mitra’
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched the new AI/ML based chatbot named ‘Aadhaar Mitra’ for better experience.
- It will provide information like check Aadhaar enrollment/update status, tracking of Aadhaar PVC card status, and information on enrollment centre location.
- Residents can also register their grievances and track them using the bot.
- Recently, UIDAI has topped for resolving public grievances rankings for October 2022, published by DARPG
National & International Appointments
7. Prof. Kishor Basa appointed as Chairman of National Monuments Authority
- The Ministry of Culture India has appointed Prof. Kishor Basa as the chairman of National Monuments Authority (NMA) for three years.
- Presently, he is serving as Vice Chancellor of Maharaja Sriram Chandra Bhanja Deo University in Baripada.
- He is also the member of Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists (INCAA).
- He has also served as Vice Chancellor of Fakir Mohan University in Balasore.
National & International Organizations
8. Reliance ranks 20th in Forbes' World's Best Employers rankings 2022
- According to Forbes' World's Best Employers rankings 2022, Reliance Industries has ranked 20th in the index and becomes the only Indian firm to place in the top 20 rankings
- The global ranking was topped by Samsung Electronics (South Korea), followed by Microsoft, IBM, Alphabet and Apple
- Other Indian companies:
- HDFC Bank (137th), Bajaj (173rd), Aditya Birla Group (240th), Hero Motocorp (333rd), Larsen & Toubro (354th), ICICI Bank (365th), HCL Technologies (455th)
9. Cochin Shipyard collaborates with IIT-Madras to support maritime startups
- The Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) has collaborated with the IIT Madras to support startups in the maritime sector.
- Aim: To develop products or services with financial support from the shipyard.
- This is part of the startup engagement programme, 'USHUS' launched by the CSL to support the Centre's initiative in supporting maritime startups.
- IIT- Madras will act as an implementation partner.
- It will provide incubation, mentorship and training to the startups.
10. Google launches a flood forecast platform 'FloodHub’
- Google has launched a platform named ‘FloodHub’ that will provide information about area and time where floods could occur, so that , authorities can assist people with effectively.
- Google has also expanded its AI flood forecasting services to 18 counties - Latin America, Africa and SE Asia.
- These flood forecasting services supported by AI were first introduced in India back in 2018.
- About Google:
- CEO: Sundar Pichai
- Founded: 4 September 1998
- Headquarters: California
11. Haryana Forest Department and USAID launched TOFI Program
- The Haryana Forest Department and US Agency for International Development (USAID) have jointly launched TOFI program.
- TOFI refers to Trees Outside Forests in India.
- Aim: To enhance carbon sequestration, support local communities, and strengthen the climate resilience of agriculture.
- This initiative also bring farmers, companies, and other private institutions together to rapidly expand tree coverage outside of traditional forests in the state.
Banking & Finance
12. Kerala becomes first state to introduce Uniform Gold Price
- Kerala becomes the first state in India to launch uniform gold prices based on the bank rate.
- The decision to introduce a uniform price on 916 purity 22-carat gold has been taken at meeting between Malabar Gold and Diamonds and All Kerala Gold and Silver Merchants Association.
- It offers an opportunity for consumers to purchase gold at a reasonable and transparent price.
- In most states, gold is priced at Rs 150-300 per gram extra over the bank rate.
Books & Authors
13. A book title E. K. Janaki Ammal: Life and Scientific Contributions released
- A new book titled "E. K. Janaki Ammal: Life and Scientific Contributions" has been authored by Nirmala James (retired school teacher).
- The book was published by Enview Research and Development.
- It was released during the event organised on the 125 the birth anniversary of E. K. Janaki Ammal.
- She was born on 4th November 1897 in Thalassery, Kerala.
- E. K. Janaki Ammal is the India's first woman botanist.
- Nirmala James has authored many books including books for children.