Honours & Awards
1. Gita Gopinath becomes 1st woman to feature on wall of former chief economis
- Gita Gopinath has become the first woman and second Indian to feature on the 'wall of former chief economists' of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Gopinath was served as IMF Chief Economist for three years, since October 2018.
- Raghuram Rajan, was the first Indian who was featured on the IMF's wall of former chief economists.
- He served as IMF's Chief Economist and Director of Research between 2003 and 2006.
- New IMF chief economist: Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas
National & International Appointments
2. TVS's R. Dinesh appointed as President Designate of CII for 2022-23
- R Dinesh, Executive Vice-Chairman of TVS Supply Chain Solutions has been elected President Designate of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for 2022-23.
- He has been the Chairman of CII Southern Region during 2018-19.
- Sanjiv Puri (Chairman and Managing Director, ITC) will continue as the Vice-President of CII.
- Sanjiv Bajaj (Chairman and Managing Director, Bajaj Finserv Ltd) continues to be the President of CII for 2022-23.
- CII Headquarters: New Delhi
National & International Appointments
3. Former CEO of NITI Aayog Amitabh Kant appointed as new G20 Sherpa
- Former NITI Aayog CEO, Amitabh Kant has been appointed as India’s new Sherpa for the G-20.
- He replaced Piyush Goyal (Minister for Commerce & Industry and Consumer Affairs), who was appointed as the G-20 Sherpa in September 2021.
- India will hold the presidency of G20 from December 1, 2022 to November 30, 2023.
- He served as the NITI Aayog CEO from June 2016 to 2022.
- G-20 Leaders’ Summit 2023: India
- G-20 Summit 2024: Brazil
- G-20 Summit 2025: South Africa
4. India elected to UNESCO panel on Intangible Cultural Heritage for 2022-2026
- India has been elected as a member of the Intergovernmental Committee of UNESCO’s 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) for the 2022-2026 cycle.
- The elections for the Intergovernmental Committee was held during the two-day General Assembly of the 2003 Convention at UNESCO headquarters in Paris.
- India has already served as a member of the ICH Committee, from 2006 to 2010 and from 2014 to 2018.
- Culture Minister: GK Reddy
5. MoD approves three private sector banks for overseas procurement
- The defence ministry has allowed three private sector banks - HDFC Bank Ltd, ICICI Bank, and Axis Bank, to provide financial services to it for overseas procurement of military hardware.
- Earlier, only authorised public sector banks were allow to provide services such as issuance of letters of credit and DBT to the ministry.
- For one year on concurrent basis, the selected banks may be allocated with LC business of Rs 2,000 crore, each on the capital and revenue side.
6. Secretary-General of OPEC Mohammad Barkindo passes away
- Mohammad Barkindo (Nigerian), secretary-general of oil producer group, OPEC has died at the age of 63.
- His second term as head of OPEC was set to end on July 31, 2022.
- He hold the post for six years since 2016.
- He started his career with the Nigerian Mining Corporation in 1982, and also served as deputy MD of Nigerian Liquified Natural Gas.
- New Secretary General of OPEC: Haitham Al-Ghais (Kuwait)
- OPEC Headquarters: Vienna, Austria
- OPEC Members: 13
7. Delhi govt launches 'Mission Kushal Karmi' to upskill construction workers
- The Delhi government has launched the ’Mission Kushal Karmi’ programme to offer a skill development training course to labourers, who are registered with the Delhi Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board.
- The government will also compensate the loss of work by providing ₹4,200 to those workers who take the course (15-day programme).
- The programme conducted by the Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University, Simplex, NAREDCO and India Vision Foundation.
8. Google announces Startup School India initiative
- Google has announced the launch of Startup School India (SSI) as part of the Google for Startups initiative.
- Through this platform, the Google will bring together investors, successful entrepreneurs and programmers.
- Aim: To reach out to at least 10,000 startups with this programme.
- This is a nine-week program, which will be delivered virtually.
- India is the third largest startups ecosystem in the world.
- 100th Unicorn: Open (neobanking fintech portal)
9. India’s first floating LNG terminal likely to operationalise in 2022
- First floating terminal of India for liquefied natural gas (LNG) at Jaigarh in Maharashtra is expected to be operational in the second half of 2022.
- Floating storage and regasification units (FSRUs) of H-Energy Gateway at Jaigarh and the Swan Energy-led terminal at Jafrabad are cumulatively expected to add 11 million tonnes per annum of regasification capacity.
- The sixth LNG import terminals was Mundra LNG in 2020.
10. Deutsche Bahn becomes world's first intermodal partner of Star Alliance
- Deutsche Bahn (DB) is ready to become the world's first Intermodal Partner of Star Alliance.
- Under the new partnership, the DB customers and passengers of Star Alliance member airlines will be able to start or end their journey comfortably on the climate-friendly train.
- Germany is the first market and DB is the world's first partner in the new Star Alliance initiative.
- This partnership between DB and Star Alliance builds on the Lufthansa Express Rail programme.
Banking & Finance
11. HDFC joins hands with Salesforce to reimagine the customer lifecycle
- HDFC Ltd has partnered with software firm, Salesforce to support the company's growth priorities.
- HDFC, to build the next generation of integration backbone, to connect backend and frontend systems including Salesforce.
- Mulesoft (software company) with its innovative API-led integration approach and low code integration capabilities will help HDFC to innovate quickly around connecting systems.
- MuleSoft has been part of the Salesforce family since 2018.
Banking & Finance
12. PNB signs MoU with Indian Air Force for 'PNB Rakshak Plus Scheme'
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) has signed MoU with the Indian Air Force for 'PNB Rakshak Plus'.
- The scheme covers personal accidental insurance, air accidental insurance to serving, retired and trainees of the defence forces, central armed police forces, state police force, metro police and retired defence pensioners.
- Death Cover:
- Personal Accidental: Rs. 50 lakh
- Air Accidental Insurance : Rs. 100 lakh
- Personal Accidental (Permanent total Disability): Rs. 50 lakh
13. CBSE launches Pariksha Sangam
- CBSE Board has launched a portal named ‘Pariksha Sangam’ to connect students, school regional offices and CBSE board headquarters to integrate examination-related processes.
- A single window is available for board examination results, sample papers, and other details.
- The pariksha sangam portal can be accessed at parikshasangam.cbse.gov.in.
- The portal is divided into three parts, namely- Schools (Ganga), Regional Offices (Yamuna) and Head Office (Saraswati).
14. Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe passes away
- Former prime minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe has been passed away, after being shot while campaigning for a parliamentary election in Nara.
- He was the longest-serving prime minister of Japan, who held office in 2006 for one year and again from 2012 to 2020.
- In 2020, he resigned from the PM post due to the debilitating bowel condition ulcerative colitis.
- He was the first Japanese PM to be chief guest at India's Republic Day parade in 2014.
- Japan PM: Fumio Kishida