Summits & Conferences
1. Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw flags off NITI Aayog’s Fintech Open Summit
- NITI Aayog, in collaboration with PhonePe, AWS and EY has organized 3-week summit, titled ‘Fintech Open’ to showcase importance of fintech industry.
- The summit will be held from 7 to 28 February.
- It will bring together regulators, fintech professionals, enthusiasts, industry leaders, start-up community, developers to collaborate, exchange ideas and innovate
- It has three objectives:
- Encourage an open ecosystem
- Foster innovation and growth
- Ensure financial inclusion
2. Health Minister launches Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 4.0
- Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya has virtually launched Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 4.0.
- It will be conducted in 416 districts across 33 states/UTs.
- It will be implemented in three rounds, beginning from 7th February 2022.
- Second round will start from 7th March 2022, and third round from 4th April 2022.
- First round will cover 11 states: Assam, Uttarakhand, Gujarat, J&K, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tripura and Chhattisgarh.
3. ICICI Lombard collaborated with Airtel Payments Bank for Cyber Insurance
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance has partnered with Airtel Payments Bank to offer cyber insurance policy to its customers
- It will provide financial protection to customers against potential financial fraud relating to banking, credit or debit card; identity theft; phishing or email spoofing etc
- It will also provide 90-day discovery period followed by a seven-day reporting period.
- Earlier, Airtel Payments Bank had launched Airtel Safe Pay, safest way to pay online.
National & International Appointments
4. Dinesh Prasad Saklani appointed as new Director of NCERT
- Dinesh Prasad Saklani has been appointed as the new Director of National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT)
- His tenure will be of 5 years.
- He is currently serving as the professor of history at HNB Garhwal University, Uttarakhand.
- He succeeded Hrushikesh Senapaty, whose tenure ended in November 2020.
- Since then, Sridhar Srivastava was holding the position on interim charge.
- NCERT: autonomous organization which was established in 1961.
5. R K Singh launches Powerthon-2022 for technology-driven solutions
- Power Minister R K Singh has virtually launched Powerthon-2022, which is a hackathon competition to find technology-driven solutions to solve the complex problems in power distribution and to ensure quality and reliable power supply.
- The competition will bring together qualified mentors with TSPs, innovators, and other participants from across India to create teams that will develop solutions for creating a much more vibrant and efficient electricity network.
Summits & Conferences
6. MNRE, MEA organizes ASEAN-India High-Level Virtual Conference
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and Ministry of External Affairs has organized 2-day ASEAN-India High-Level Virtual Conference on Renewable Energy
- It will focus on the theme, Experience, and Innovations for Integrated Renewables Market
- It was addressed by Energy Ministers and their senior representatives from ASEAN member countries.
- Main concerns: renewable energy ambitions, progress made and priority areas for their countries and India-ASEAN cooperation
Honours & Awards
7. President to confer RPF personnel with Jeevan Raksha Padak Series Awards
- President Ramnath Kovind will confer seven Railway Protection Force, RPF personnel with Jeevan Raksha Padak Series of Awards 2021, for their act of bravery.
- RPF has been saving lives in mission mode under Mission Jeewan Raksha.
- RPF personnel have saved 1650 lives from the wheels of the running trains at railway stations in the last four years under this mission.
- In 2021, RPF personnel saved 601 lives by pulling persons out of harm's way in the nick of time.
8. Arjun Munda introduces Constitution (ST) (Amendment) Bill, 2022 in LS
- Minister of Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda has introduced Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2022 in the Lok Sabha as well as Rajya Sabha
- The Bill seeks to add certain communities to the list of Scheduled Tribes in relation to the state of Tripura.
- It also omit Bhogta community from Scheduled Castes list in Jharkhand and Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order, 1950 for inclusion of certain communities in ST list in the State.
9. J&K Lt Governor Manoj Sinha launches Single Window Clearance System
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has launched J&K Single Window Clearance System, ‘www.singlewindow.jk.gov.in’.
- It is a historic move by the UT Government to facilitate investments in J&K.
- Through this, over 130 industrial services have been made online on a single window system and more than 160 services would be integrated this year.
- Jammu & Kashmir is the first UT to be integrated with National Single Window System.
10. Kerala Governor signed the Ordinance to amend the Lok Ayukta Act
- Kerala Governor Arif Mohammad Khan has signed Ordinance to amend the Lok Ayukta Act amid protests from the Opposition.
- The move comes a day after he had a meeting with Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on his return from abroad.
- Section 14 of Lok Ayukta Act was 'constitutionally untenable' and the decision to amend it was not politically motivated.
- Congress-led Opposition had urged the Governor not to sign the Ordinance
11. IIT-Hyderabad launches AI-based platform for disabled jobseekers ‘Swarajabi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-Hyderabad) has launched AI-based job portal titled as ‘Swarajability’ that helps people with disabilities acquire relevant skills and find jobs. It is presently the beta version of the portal.
- It is funded by Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- It is developed in association with Youth4Jobs, Visual Quest apart from Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- It will analyze the profiles of the job seekers and suggest the skills they would require to become eligible.
12. RPF launches nationwide operation to curb human trafficking
- Railway Protection Force has launched a nationwide operation titled as ‘Operation AAHT’ to curb human trafficking.
- Under this, a special teams will be deployed on all long-distance trains/routes with focus on rescuing victims from traffickers
- Infrastructure and intelligence network of force could be utilized to collect, collate and analyze clues on victims, source, route, popular trains used by suspects, identity of carriers/agents, kingpins etc
Banking & Finance
13. Ministry of Finance releases PDRD Grant of 9,871 crore rupees to 17 States
- Ministry of Finance has released monthly Post Devolution Revenue Deficit (PDRD) Grant of Rs 9,871 crore to 17 States.
- This was the 11th installment of PDRD grant released to the States.
- Grants are released to the States as per the recommendations of 15th Finance Commission to meet the gap in Revenue Accounts of States post-devolution.
- Commission has recommended PDRD grants to 17 States and the same being released in equal monthly installments.