National & International Appointments
1. MEA appoints Sanjay Verma as India's next High Commissioner to Canada
- Sanjay Kumar Verma has been appointed as India’s next high commissioner to Canada.
- He is a 1988 batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service and is currently the ambassador of India to Japan.
- He has been served in Indian missions in Hong Kong, China, Vietnam and Turkey.
- He has also served as Consul General of India in Milan, Italy.
- While Amit Kumar, who is currently Consulate General of India in Chicago, has been named as the next ambassador to the Republic of Korea.
Science & Technology
2. India & UK conducts Counter Ransomware Exercise for 26 Nations
- National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) of India and the UK Government in collaboration with BAE Systems have successfully designed & conducted the Cyber Security Exercise for 26 Countries.
- Aim: To simulate a large, wide-spread cyber security incident affecting organisations within a country.
- It is a part of the International Counter Ransomware Initiative- Resilience Working Group.
- This initiative is being led by India under the leadership of NCSC.
Banking & Finance
3. PSU banks to open about 300 branches in unbanked areas by December 2022
- Public sector banks will open about 300 brick-and-mortar branches in the unbanked areas of various states by December 2022.
- Aim: To cover all remaining unbanked villages.
- Branches in: Rajasthan (95), followed by Madhya Pradesh (54), Gujarat (38), Maharashtra (33), Jharkhand (32) and Uttar Pradesh (31).
- Banks have been asked to open branches at allocated locations by the respective State Level Bankers' Committee (SLBC) by December 2022.
4. International Day of Clean Air for blue skies: 7th September
- The third International Day Of Clean Air For Blue Skies is observed annually on 7 September to raise awareness about the importance of clean air for the health.
- Theme 2022: The Air We Share
- On November 26, 2019, the Second Committee of the 74th session of UNGA has adopted a resolution to designate the 7 September as the “International Day of Clean Air for blue skies”.
- This day commemorates by the United Nations by hosting summits with member states.
5. Bangladesh cricketer Mushfiqur Rahim retires from T20 internationals
- Former Bangladesh captain, Mushfiqur Rahim has announced his retirement from Twenty20 international cricket.
- He would continue to take part in the Bangladesh Premier League, other two formats of the game (Test and ODI) and other Twenty20 franchise tournaments.
- His decision came after Bangladesh lost their Group B matches in the Asia Cup against Afghanistan and Sri Lanka in UAE.
- He has played in 102 T20 matches for Bangladesh and scored 1,500 runs at 19.48.
6. Ireland's Data Protection Commission fines USD 402 million on Instagram
- Data Protection Commission (DPC) of Ireland has imposed fined on Instagram of USD 402 million ( 405 million euro) for breaching regulations on the handling of children's data.
- The DPC has launched an investigation in late 2020.
- Reason: How the Instagram platform handles children's personal data.
- Findings: The platform had operated a user registration system whereby the accounts of 13-17-year-old users were set to "public" by default.
7. Suresh Raina announces retirement from all formats of cricket
- Indian Cricketer, Suresh Raina, fondly known as Mr. IPL, has announced his retirement from all formats of cricket.
- Suresh Raina has represented India in 18 tests, 226 ODIs and 78 T20s in his 13 years of international cricket career.
- He has 5615 runs from 226 ODIs and 1605 from 78 T20Is for India.
- He was part of the Indian cricket team that has won the 2011 World Cup and 2013 Champions Trophy under Dhoni’s leadership.
8. Bharat Biotech’s intranasal Covid vaccine gets DCGI nod
- Bharat Biotech International Limited (BBIL) has received a formal approval from the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) for its intranasal COVID19 vaccine iNCOVACC (BBV154).
- This is the second Bharat Biotech coronavirus vaccine to get the nod after Covaxin.
- iNCOVACC is a recombinant replication deficient adenovirus vectored vaccine with a pre-fusion stabilized spike protein.
- This nasal vaccine iNCOVACC is stable at 2-8°C for easy storage and distribution.
Banking & Finance
9. IppoPay to acquire risk management company Tutelar
- A payment gateway platform for small businesses in Tier-2 and 3 cities, IppoPay has acquired the Chennai-based, Tutelar (AI-based risk management company) for an undisclosed amount.
- IppoPay is a Chennai-based payment gateway firm, that is backed by Coinbase Global, Better Capital and Blume Founders Fund.
- Addition of Tutelar makes IppoPay an important constituent in the fight against fraud in the payments space.
- IppoPay CEO: Mohan K
10. Uttarakhand government launches e-governance portal ‘Samarth’
- The Uttarakhand education department has launched an e-governance portal named "Samarth" with an aim to provide all administrative and educational updates.
- It includes information about entrance exams, salary structures, appointments from five state universities and public schools.
- Aim: To make the education system more transparent in the state.
- Around 200 assistant professors of science subjects will be sent to IISc, Bengaluru for special training.
National & International Appointments
11. Govt appoints Justice M Duraiswamy as the Chief Justice of Madras HC
- President Draupadi Murmu has appointed Justice M Duraiswamy as the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court with effect from September 13, 2022.
- Prior to this, he was the senior judge of the Madras High Court.
- He has replaced Chief Justice of Madras High Court Justice Munishwar Nath Bhandari.
- He got enrolled as an Advocate in the Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry in 1987.
- He was elevated as Additional Judge of the High Court of Madras in 2009.
12. Mastercard acquires BCCI title sponsorship rights for all home matches
- Mastercard has become the title sponsor for all international matches (both women and men) held on home ground, domestic cricket matches like Irani Trophy, Duleep Trophy, and Ranji Trophy organized by the BCCI as also all junior cricket (Under 19 and Under 23) matches held in India for the 2022-23 season.
- Aim: At enhancing Mastercard's connection with cricket lovers across the country.
- Mastercard CEO: Michael Miebach; HQs: New York, United States