National & International Appointments
1. Alkesh Kumar Sharma assumes charge as new Secretary for MeitY
- Alkesh Kumar Sharma (1990 batch IAS of Kerala cadre) has assumed charge as Secretary of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY).
- Prior to this, he served as the Additional Secretary and Secretary in Cabinet Secretariat.
- He was also chairman of Indian Highways Management Company and implemented FASTAG system of toll collection.
- Minister of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY): Ashwini Vaishnaw.
Honours & Awards
2. NASA climate research scientist wins World Food Prize
- NASA climate research scientist, Cynthia Rosenzweig has been awarded World Food Prize.
- She is an agronomist and climatologist and spent much of her career explaining how global food production must adapt to a changing climate
- She was awarded $250,000 prize in recognition of her innovative modeling of the impact of climate change on food production.
- She is a senior research scientist at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
3. UN-Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025 launched
- United Nations has launched UN-Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025 to catalyze large-scale action and support needed for transition to clean, affordable energy for all and net-zero emissions.
- Energy Compact Action Network was also launched to match those govt seeking support for their clean energy goals with those govt and businesses that have pledged over $600 billion
- It sets out a framework for collective action by nearly 30 UN and international organizations
4. India's first Regional Rapid Transit System to be handed over to NCRTC
- India's first semi-high-speed train set for Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) has been handed over to National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) at Alstom's Savli plan in Gujarat.
- RRTS train sets are being manufactured under Make In India initiative and are capable of running at speed of 180 km per hour.
- It will be brought to Duhai Depot in Uttar Pradesh.
- Implementing agency of India's first RRTS corridor between Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut: NCRTC.
National & International Appointments
5. Sudarshan Venu appointed Managing Director of TVS Motor
- Sudarshan Venu has taken over as the Managing Director of TVS Motor Company.
- Prior to this, he was the Joint Managing Director of the company.
- His elevation coincides with the appointment of Prof Sir Ralf Dieter Speth as the Chairman of the company.
- He succeeded Venu Srinivasan, who has become the Chairman Emeritus of the company.
- TVS Motor Company: Indian motorcycle manufacturer headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It is the 3rd largest motorcycle company in India
Summits & Conferences
6. Conference of Cluster-Based Business Organizations (CBBOs) in Jaipur
- Union Minister, Kailash Choudhary has inaugurated Conference of Cluster-Based Business Organizations (CBBOs) and Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) under Scheme of Formation and Promotion of 10,000 FPOs at Birla Auditorium in Jaipur.
- Focus areas: expectations from CBBOs, Knowledge sharing by CBBOs on best practices, discussion on Training and Capacity Building of Stakeholders, and Open discussion on various issues/ suggestions.
7. L&T Infotech announced to merge with Mindtree to become 5th-largest IT firm
- L&T Infotech and Mindtree, two independently listed IT services companies under Larsen & Toubro Group have announced merger that would create India's fifth-largest IT services provider.
- This combined entity will be known as LTIMindtree
- This proposed integration will see Mindtree and LTI join strengths to create an efficient and scaled up IT services provider exceeding USD 3.5 billion
- It will create a more distinctive employee value proposition.
8. Khelo India Mascot and Logo launched at Panchkula in Haryana
- Mascot, Logo and Jersey and theme song of Khelo India Youth Games were launched in a special ceremony held at Indra Dhanush Stadium in Panchkula, Haryana
- The Mascot and theme was launched by Haryana’s Chief Minister Manohar Lal along with Union Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Anurag Thakur.
- More than 8,000 athletes will be participating in the Khelo India Youth Games scheduled to take place from 4th to 13th of June at Panchkula, Ambala, Shahbad, Chandigarh and Delhi.
9. MHA and SECI sign MoU to realize India’s green energy initiative
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has signed MoU with Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI) to promote renewable energy thereby moving towards a carbon neutral economy in Delhi
- This MoU envisages collaboration between the two parties for jointly undertaking installation of Solar Rooftop PV Power Plants.
- Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) has estimated the total solar power potential of 71.68 MWs in the campuses of CAPFs & NSG.
10. Railway Protection Force signs MoU with AVA for trafficking free nation
- Railway Protection Force (RPF) has signed MoU with Association for Voluntary Action (AVA) for a trafficking free nation.
- It will enhance the scale, reach and effectiveness of Operation AAHT (Action against Human Trafficking) launched by RPF across the nation.
- RPF is entrusted with the responsibility of security of railway property, passenger area and passengers.
- RPF has also set up Anti Human Trafficking Units (AHTUs) at more than 740 locations across India