National & International Appointments
1. Justice Tashi Rabstan appointed as acting chief justice of J&K High Court
- The Government of India has appointed Justice Tashi Rabstan as the Acting Chief justice of the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
- He has replaced incumbent Chief Justice Ali Mohd Magrey, who retired on 7th December 2022.
- Justice Rabstan had enrolled as an Advocate on 6th March 1990 in Bar Council of J&K.
- He remained as Standing Counsel for Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh from 1997 till 2005.
- Retirement age of-
- SC Judges: 65
- HC Judges: 62
2. Mirabai clinches silver at Weightlifting World Championships 2022
- Tokyo Oylmpic medallist, Mirabai Chanu has secured the silver medal in 49kg category, at the ongoing 2022 World Weightlifting Championships, held in Bogotá, Colombia.
- She managed to lift a total weight of 200kg (87kg in snatch and 113kg in 'clean and jerk').
- She lost to Jiang Huihua from China, who won the gold with a total effort of 206kg (93kg+113kg).
- While Hou Zhihua settled for bronze medal with the total lift of 198kg (89kg+109kg).
3. Economist and former Union minister Yoginder K Alagh passes away
- Former Union minister and eminent economist Yoginder K Alagh has been passed away at the age of 83.
- He taught economics at prestigious Indian and foreign universities, including IIM-Calcutta.
- He was an associate professor at Sardar Patel Institute of Economic and Social Research, Ahmedabad.
- He has also worked as the vice-chancellor of JNU, Delhi.
- From 1996-98, he also served as minister of power, planning, and programme and served as a member of Planning Commission.
National & International Organizations
4. Three Indian billionaires on Forbes Asia Heroes of Philanthropy list
- Three Indian billionaires - Gautam Adani, Shiv Nadar, and Ashok Soota were listed in the 16th edition of Forbes Asia's Heroes of Philanthropy list.
- Gautam Adani (Adani chairman): For having pledged ₹60,000 crores ($7.7 billion) when he turned 60 in June 2022.
- Shiv Nadar (HCL co-founder & chairman): For having channelled close to $1 billion of his wealth to various social causes.
- Ashok Soota (Happiest Mind chairman): Pledged ₹600 crore to the medical research trust
Banking & Finance
5. RBI increases Repo rate by 35 bps to 6.25%
- RBI has increased the repo rate by 35 basis points (the fifth increase since May 2022) to 6.25%.
- Aim: To bring down the inflation to a tolerable limit.
- While, RBI has lowered the GDP growth projection of India for the current fiscal at 6.8% from 7%.
- CPI inflation forecast for FY23 retained at 6.7%.
- Size of forex reserves has increased to 561.2 billion as on Dec 2.
- FDI inflows rose to $22.7 billion in Apr to Oct 2022
- SDF : 6.00%, MSF : 6.50%, Bank Rate : 6.50%
6. International Civil Aviation Day 2022: 7th December
- International Civil Aviation Day is observed on every year on December 7 to promote the importance of international civil aviation.
- 2022 theme: Advancing Innovation for Global Aviation Development
- The theme will remain the same until the year 2023.
- In 1996, the UN General Assembly has formally recognised December 7 as International Civil Aviation Day.
- Safety standards in international aviation are maintained by the ICAO (an autonomous UN body).
7. ‘Goblin Mode’ is Oxford’s Word of the Year for 2022
- Oxford University Press (OUP), publishers of Oxford English Dictionary has selected “goblin mode” as the 2022 Oxford word of the year.
- It refers to a type of behavior which is an unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy, typically in a way that rejects social norms or expectations.
- For the first time, a group of lexicographers at OUP gave people a choice of: “Goblin mode,” “metaverse,” and “#IStandWith”.
Honours & Awards
8. Indian-origin, Veena Nair won Prime Minister's prize in Australia
- Indian-origin teacher, Veena Nair was honoured with the 2022 Prime Minister's Prize for Excellence in Science Teaching in secondary schools in Australia
- She is ViewBank College's Head of Technology and STEAM project leader
- She was awarded for demonstrating practical application of STEAM to students, and how they can use their skills to make a real impact in the world.
- She started her teaching career in Mumbai, where she provided computers to low socio-economic schools.
9. Cristiano Ronaldo signs 200-million euro contract with Saudi club Al-Nassr
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portuguese) has signed two-and-a-half year agreement for 200 million euros each season with Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr Football Club.
- Manchester United has terminated his contract after a controversial bombshell interview with broadcaster Piers Morgan.
- Al Nassr Football Club was formed in 1955.
- The club plays its home games at the Mrsool Park.
- Al-Nassr FC Chairman: Musalli Al Muammar
10. AGEL becomes world’s largest wind-solar hybrid power developer
- Adani Green Engergy Limited (AGEL) has commissioned a 450 MW wind-solar hybrid power plant in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
- With the new hybrid plant, AGEL has become the largest operational hybrid power generation capacity of 1,440 MW.
- AGEL has a total operational generation capacity of 7.17 GW, making it the largest wind-solar hybrid power farm developer.
- According to the company, the plant has Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) with SECI at Rs 2.67/kwh for 25 years.
Banking & Finance
11. SBI's personal loan portfolio crosses Rs 5 lakh cr mark
- State Bank of India (SBI) has surpassed the Rs 5 lakh crore mark in the personal banking advances as on November 30, 2022.
- The lender has marked the first Rs 1 lakh crore mark in January 2015, followed by Rs 2 lakh crore (January 2018), Rs 3 lakh crore (August 2020), and the Rs 4 lakh mark (November 2021).
- Personal banking advances mainly comprise personal loan, pension loan, auto loan, education loans, personal-gold loan, and other personal loan products.
12. NSIC signs MoU with Walmart
- The National Small Industries Corporation Limited has signed an MoU with Walmart Global Sourcing India Private Limited on 6th December, 2022.
- The MoU was signed by Gaurang Dixit (Chairman, NSIC) and Prameela Mallaiah (Director and Hub Leader, Walmart) in the presence of Union Minister of MSME, Narayan Rane.
- Through this MoU, NSIC will extend the NSIC schemes and other services to MSMEs who would participate in various Vriddhi program.
Banking & Finance
13. Spice Money partners with Axis Bank for financial inclusion in rural India
- Spice Money has partnered with Axis Bank to facilitate opening of instant, zero balance savings or current accounts for rural citizens through its Adhikari network.
- Aim: To bridge the rural-urban divide and bring financial inclusivity by providing access to banking products to the last mile at their doorstep
- A regulated entity under RBI, the fintech firm delivers various financial services such as cash deposit and withdrawal, and insurance premium to the rural masses.