Science & Technology
1. ISRO plans to launch mission to Venus in December 2024
- The Indian Space Research Organisation is planning to launch a spacecraft to orbit Venus by December 2024 with an orbital manoeuvre.
- Aim: To study the Venus atmosphere
- The Orbital manoeuvre is the use of propulsion systems to change the orbit of a spacecraft.
- It permits a spacecraft to enter a planet’s orbit.
- ISRO eyeing the December 2024 window as Earth and Venus would be aligned in a manner so that the minimum amount of propellant would be required.
2. PM Modi addresses the inaugural session of JITO Connect 2022
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the inaugural session of Jain International Trade Organisation’s - JITO Connect 2022 by video conferencing.
- JITO is a global organisation which connects Jains all over the world.
- JITO Connect is an attempt to help businesses and industries by providing a direction for mutual networking and personal interactions.
- This is a three-day event being organized at Gangadham Annex, Pune from 6th May 2022.
National & International Organizations
3. India’s Civil Registration System Report 2020 released
- According to the annual report on Vital Statistics based on the Civil Registration System report 2020, Ladakh (1104) has recorded the highest sex ratio at birth in the country in 2020 followed by Arunachal Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Tripura and Kerala.
- Lowest sex ratio at birth: Manipur (880) followed by D& N Haveli & Daman & Diu (898) and Gujarat (909).
- Published by: The Registrar General of India (Ministry of Home Affairs)
4. Haryana launches Vehicle Movement Tracking System
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar launched a Vehicle Movement Tracking System (VMTS) mobile app to track the vehicles carrying sand and other mining material.
- The app will be used at different checkpoints in all the districts of Haryana.
- All vehicle details including vehicle type, vehicle number, moving from, moving to, and driver details will be stored in it.
- The non-registered individual will not be permitted to enter the zone of sand mining.
Summits & Conferences
5. Health Minister Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurates Health Summit in Gujarat
- Union Health Minister Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya has inaugurated a three-day Swasthya Chintan Shivir (Health Summit) at Kevadiya in Gujarat.
- Aim: Detailed discussion on various topics and policies related to the health sector and recommend ways and means for better implementation of these policies/programmes.
- This summit is being organized as a part of the 14th Convention of the Central Council of Health and Family Welfare (CCHFW).
6. The Second phase of mandatory hallmarking will come into force from June 1
- The second phase of the mandatory hallmarking of Gold Jewellery and Gold Artefacts will come into effect on June 1, 2022.
- This phase will cover additional three caratages of gold jewellery and artefacts - 20 carats, 23 carats and 24 carats.
- BIS also has made a provision to permit a consumer to get the purity of their unhallmarked gold jewellery tested at any of the BIS recognized Assaying and Hallmarking Centres.
7. Manipur CM Biren Singh launches DBT for organic farmers
- Manipur CM N. Biren Singh has launched the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) for 18,000 registered farmers under Horticulture Department for Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North Eastern Region (MOVCDNER), Phase- III (2020-23).
- DBT of Rs. 11,250 per farmer, for the components of assistance for on-farm input for both 1st year and 2nd year and for off-farm inputs production for 1st was transferred to the individual registered farmer’s account.
8. Delhi Cabinet approves Startup Policy to aid the entrepreneur
- The Delhi cabinet has approved the "Delhi Startup Policy” with an aim to create an ecosystem for people to launch startups and provide them with fiscal and non-fiscal incentives, collateral-free loans, and free consultancy from experts, lawyers, and CA.
- Aim: To encourage, facilitate, and support 15,000 startups by 2030
- The 20 members task force will be set up including government officials and experts from business and trade.
9. India's 'first' tribal health observatory set up in Odisha
- Odisha is ready to come up with an observatory that will establish a repository on the health of the tribal population in the state.
- This will be India's only tribal health observatory.
- An MoU was signed between the ST and SC Development Department and the RMRC (Regional centre of ICMR).
- It will perform systematic and ongoing observation on disease burden, health-seeking behaviour and healthcare delivery system pertaining to tribal health in the state.
10. India remains on top in T20 in Annual ICC Rankings
- India cricket team (captain Rohit Sharma) has been ranked as the world’s number one T20 team followed by England and Pakistan.
- New Zealand has bagged the top spot in the ODI rankings, followed by England, Australia, and India.
- Men's Test Team Rankings: Australia, India, and New Zealand
- International Cricket Council Chairman: Greg Barclay; CEO: Geoff Allardice; Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
11. Vedika Sharma wins bronze in women's 10m air pistol in Deaflympics 2021
- Vedika Sharma won the bronze medal in the 10 m air pistol at the ongoing Deaflympics 2021 in Caxias do Sol, Brazil.
- Sharma’s bronze medal takes India in the medal tally to four at the quadrennial event.
- Pranjali Dhumal has finished at fourth position in the same event.
- currently, India stands at the eighth spot with two gold and two bronze medals.
- Earlier in the event, the rifle shooter Dhanush Srikanth and the badminton team had won gold medals for India.
12. Formula one driver Tony Brooks dies at 90
- Tony Brooks who won six Formula One Grand Prix in the 1950s died at 90. He was known as a “Racing Dentist".
- He won his F1 debut at the non-championship 1955 Syracuse Grand Prix.
- He registered his first world championship victory at the British Grand Prix at Aintree in 1957.
- He also won the Grand Prix of Belgium, Italy, France and Germany.