1. India-Maldives Joint Military exercise ‘EKUVERIN’ begins today
- The 11th edition of Exercise EKUVERIN-21 between India and Maldives will be conducted at Kadhdhoo Island, Maldives.
- The exercise will enhance synergy and inter-operability between Armed Forces of both the nations conducting Counter-Terrorism and Counter-Insurgency Operations
- They will share best military practices and experiences.
- The joint military excercise will also include cultural and sports activities to enhance defence cooperation and bilateral relations.
Books & Authors
2. Public Service Ethics’ authored by former Governor of Jharkhand Prabhat Kum
- The book titled ‘Public Service Ethics’ has been authored by Prabhat Kumar, former Governor of Jharkhand.
- The book was released by the VP M Venkaiah Naidu.
- The book is published by IC Centre for Governance.
- It deals with ethics in governance and public service and proposes a collective quest for ethical India
- It doesn’t just talk about the problems and the crisis of ethics – it gives practical and positive solutions and tells you how to head in the right direction.
Honours & Awards
3. Nikhil Srivastava among 3 selected for inaugural Ciprian Foias Prize
- Indian-American mathematician Nikhil Srivastava, has been jointly selected for the inaugural $5,000 Ciprian Foias Prize.
- They were selected for the "highly original work" in Operator Theory by the American Mathematical Society (AMS).
- Other winner are Adam Marcus and Daniel Spielman.
- The award recognises their "highly original work" that introduced and developed methods for understanding the characteristic polynomial of matrices.
4. Argentina wins Junior men’s hockey World Cup 2021
- Argentina has won the won the men’s Junior hockey World Cup at the Kalinga Stadium, Odisha.
- They defeated six-time champion Germany by 4-2 and won the title after a 16-year gap.
- Argentina sealed their second men’s Junior World Cup title when Franco Agostini fired into an empty net in the final minute
- France has defeated India to claim the 3rd place in the tournament.
- France captain Timothée Clément was named Player of the Match.
5. Malaysia won the Asian team squash championships 2021
- Malaysia has won the men’s final of the Asian team squash championships in Kuala Lumpur.
- Malaysia defeated Indian in the final by 2-1.
- India had lost in the summit clash before in 1981 and 2012 also.
- Malaysia has also won the women’s final of the Asian team squash championships defeating Hong Kong 2-1 in the final.
- The last time Malaysian men’s and women’s teams won was in the 2008 championships in Kuwait.
6. Viktor Axelsen and An Seyoung wins BWF World Tour title
- The world number one Viktor Axelsen has won the 2021 BWF World Tour Finals in men’s category in Bali, Indonesia.
- He defeated Kunlavut Vitidsarn of Thailand by 21-12, 21-8 in just 43 minutes to wrap up the men's singles title.
- South Korea's An Seyoung has won BWF World Tour Finals in women’s category by defeating India’s PV Sindu.
- Earlier in men's doubles, Japan's Hoki Takuro and Kobayashi Yugo beat Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo from Indonesia.
7. Oppo, IIT-Delhi sign MoU for scholarship programme
- Oppo India has launched a ‘Genius+’ program to provide scholarships to students pursuing engineering in India.
- Under this Oppo has inked an MoU with IIT-Delhi to offer scholarships covering academic expenses for the shortlisted students.
- Program is aimed at connecting with youth at renowned institutes in India and reach out to the best talent who can further build India’s innovation portfolio.
- The program will be further extended to Masters and Ph.D. students.
Science & Technology
8. IIT Madras to launch global consortium aimed at low carbon future
- IIT Madras will launch a Global Energy Consortium to boost the transformation towards a low carbon future.
- Over 50 global faculty will work in areas such as carbon capture and storage, gas hydrates and renewable energy systems.
- The consortium will be launched at the IIT Madras Energy Summit to be held from December 14 to 16.
- These initiatives will form the core of the Global Energy Consortium.
National & International Appointments
9. FICCI appoints HUL’s Sanjiv Mehta as President-Elect
- Hindustan Unilever Chairman & Managing Director, Sanjiv Mehta, will be appointed as the President of FICCI next week..
- He will be taking over the position at its Annual General Meeting on December 18.
- He will be succeeding media industry veteran Uday Shankar, who is the current President.
- Mehta is also the President of Unilever South Asia and is a member of the ‘Unilever Leadership Executive’.
- He is also a Director on the Board of Indian School of Business.
Banking & Finance
10. Bajaj Allianz Life launches Bajaj Allianz Life Assured Wealth Goal
- Bajaj Allianz Life launched a guaranteed income-cum-life insurance plan Bajaj Allianz Life Assured Wealth Goal.
- It comes in two variants for policyholders to choose from based on their financial goals.
- Bajaj Allianz Life’s Assured Wealth Goal is designed to provide guaranteed tax-free income for up to 30 years.
- For the year to date till October 2021, Bajaj Allianz Life registered a 34 per cent growth in gross written premium and a 23 per cent rise in renewal premium.
Banking & Finance
11. Yes Bank, NPCI launch RuPay credit cards
- Yes Bank, in collaboration with NPCI has launched new RuPay-branded credit cards for its customers on the indigenously developed payment platform.
- NPCI has developed the RuPay card payment network.
- Yes Bank has launched the Yes Prosperity Rewards Plus credit card variant on RuPay platform for its Yes Prosperity segment customers.
- The new credit card comes with multiple benefits for customers.
- The Yes Bank-NPCI partnership was announced at the Digital Payments Utsav.
12. Veteran Journalist Vinod Dua Passes Away
- Veteran journalist Vinod Dua (67) passed away.
- Dua was a pioneer in broadcast Hindi journalism with stints in Doordarshan and NDTV.
- He lived an inimitable life, rising from the refugee colonies of Delhi to the peak of journalistic excellence for over 42 years, always, always speaking truth to power.
- He was an integral part of NDTV’s journey as well. His much-loved food show ‘Zaika India Ka’ saw him crisscrossing the whole country just for the best taste.