1. PM launches global initiative ‘Lifestyle for Environment (LiFE) Movement
- PM Narendra Modi has launched a global initiative ‘Lifestyle for the Environment (LiFE) Movement, on the occasion of World Environment Day.
- Aim: To initiate ‘LiFE Global Call for Papers’ inviting ideas and suggestions from academics to influence and persuade individuals, communities and organisations to adopt an environment conscious lifestyle.
- The idea of LiFE was introduced by the Prime Minister during the 26th UN COP-26 in Glasgow 2021.
2. Sakshi, Divya, and Mansi win gold medals at 2022 Bolat Turlykhanov Cup
- India's Sakshi Malik (62kg) along with Divya Kakran (68Kg) and Mansi Ahlawat (57kg) have won gold medal at the 2022 Bolat Turlykhanov Cup wrestling tournament in Kazakhstan.
- Last time, Sakshi Malik won a gold was at the 2017 Commonwealth Championship.
- While, Pooja Sihag and Neeraj have settled for bronze in the 76kg and 63 Kg category respectively.
- India now have won four medals with Greco Roman.
3. Govt launches 'Clean and Green' campaign on World Environment Day
- The Ministry of Housing has launched a 'Clean and Green' campaign on Environment Day.
- Urban Local Bodies across the nation will conduct an awareness programmes to free the country from single-use plastic and contribute to improve the environment.
- The Ministry has instructed to state and Union Territories to ban Single-Use Plastic by 30 June.
- It was also directed to use plastic waste either as an alternative fuel in cement plants, or for road construction purposes.
4. Health Care Abhiyan 'Anchal' launched in Rajasthan for pregnant women
- Rajasthan government has launched a Special Health Care Abhiyan 'Anchal' in the Karauli district for pregnant women.
- This unique campaign was started on the initiative of District Collector Ankit Kumar Singh.
- Aim: To ensure all necessary medical aid to pregnant women at the pre and post-natal stage.
- It is also ensured that the Auxiliary Nurse Midwife and ASHA workers will keep in constant contact with the pregnant women.
Honours & Awards
5. Vicky Kaushal won best actor award at IIFA 2022
- Vicky Kaushal has won the best actor award for his movie Sardar Udham at the 22nd International Indian Film Academy Awards in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Other awards:
- Best Actor (Female): Kriti Sanon (Mimi)
- Best Director: Vishnuvaradhan (Shershaah)
- Best Film: Shershaah
- Best Supporting Actor Female: Sai Tamhankar (Mimi)
- Best Supporting Actor Male: Pankaj Tripathi (Ludo)
- Best Playback Singer Female: Asees Kaur (Raataan Lambiyan, Shershaah)
Honours & Awards
6. Dutch film ‘Turn Your Body to the Sun’ bags Golden Conch award at MIFF 2022
- Dutch movie, “Turn Your Body to the Sun” has bagged the Golden Conch award at the 17th edition of the 2022 Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) for documentary, short fiction and animation films.
- The award carries a golden conch, a certificate and cash prize of Rs 10 lakh.
- This documentary was directed by Aliona Van der Horst.
- Best Short-fiction : ‘Saakshatkaaram’ (Malayalam) & ‘Brother Troll’
- Best Animation Film: ‘Prince in a Pastry Shop’ (Poland)
7. UN approved to change Turkey’s official name to ‘Türkiye’
- The United Nations has agreed to change the Republic of Turkey’s country name from “Turkey” to “Türkiye” after a request from Ankara for the change.
- The country has begun the move to change its internationally recognised official name in English to Türkiye in December.
- The move comes after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has released a memorandum and asked the public to use Türkiye to describe the country in every language.
Banking & Finance
8. NABARD Chairman launches My Pad My Right programme in Leh
- Chairman of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), Dr GR Chintala has launched My Pad My Right programme in Leh.
- This programme was launched by Nabard’s NabFoundation with machinery and materials of a cost of Seven and half Lakh rupees.
- NABARD also sanction One lakh (addition) to upgrade the machinery to make sanitary pads suitable to the demands of women of different age groups.
9. World Environment Day 2022: 5th June
- World Environment Day is observed globally on 5th June every year.
- Aim Raise awareness about protecting the environment and to remind people not to take nature granted.
- 2022 marks the 50th World Environment Day and host by Sweden.
- Nodal agency: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- Theme of World Environment Day 2022 is ‘Only One Earth’.
- This year’s theme draws its importance towards ‘sustainable living in harmony with nature’.
Banking & Finance
10. SBI General Insurance launches new health insurance vertical
- SBI General Insurance has launched a new health insurance vertical to focus on new innovative health products to boost customer experience.
- The company will manage in-house servicing of all health insurance claims to deliver a superior and hassle-free customer experience.
- The company has recorded a 50% growth in gross written premium in 2021-22.
- SBI General Insurance has also partnered with Apollo 24/7 to offer access to various services offered to its customers.