National & International Appointments
1. Mini Ipe takes charge as Managing Director of LIC
- Mini Ipe has taken charge as the Managing Director (MD) of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India.
- Prior to this, she was Executive Director, Legal Department, LIC of India.
- She joined LIC as a direct recruit office in 1986.
- She was also the first woman zonal manager (In-charge) of LIC and headed the Hyderabad zone.
- LIC Headquarters: Mumbai.
- LIC was founded on 1 September 1956.
2. Lovlina Borgohain bags bronze medal in Tokyo Olympics
- India boxer Lovlina Borgohain (23 years) has won bronze medal after losing by 0-5 , to top seed Busenaz Surmeneli of Turkey, in the Women’s Welter (64-69kg) semi-final bout
- She is the only third Indian boxer to win a medal at the Olympics after Vijender Singh (2008) and MC Mary Kom (2012).
- She won bronze medal at 2018 and 2019 World Championships
- Other than her, PV Sindhu won Bronze Medal in Badminton, Mira Bai Chanu won Silver Medal in weightlifting in Tokyo Olympics
3. Indian Hockey Team wins bronze medal in Tokyo Olympic medal
- Indian men's hockey team has defeated Germany to win the bronze medal at Tokyo Olympics
- This is India's first Olympic medal in hockey since they won gold medal in 1980 Olympics in Moscow.
- This is India's fourth medal in Tokyo so far.
- This is India's fourth bronze medal at the Olympics and last won a bronze in the 1972 Munich Olympics.
- Indian Hockey team is the most successful team at Olympics with 8 gold medals (1928, 1932, 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1964 and 1980)
4. Indo-Russia Joint Training Exercise INDRA 2021 commenced in Russia
- Indo-Russia joint training Exercise titled ‘INDRA 2021’ commenced at Prudboy Ranges, Volgograd in Russia
- It started an impressive opening ceremony that saw unfurling of the National Flags of both nation.
- The exercise will enhance interoperability between the Indian and Russian Armies.
- Aim: to facilitate joint training between Indian and Russian Armies to jointly plan and conduct counter-terror operations under UN mandate.
- INDRA was conducted for the first time in 2003.
National & International Organizations
5. Germany becomes 5th country to sign ISA Framework Agreement
- Germany became 5th country to sign International Solar Alliance (ISA) Framework Agreement after amendments to it entered into force on 8th January 2021, opening its Membership to all UN Member States.
- Membership to the ISA was earlier limited to 121 countries, which were partially or entirely located within the tropics.
- This didn’t allow major solar energy economies to join the alliance
- ISA initiative was launched in 2015.
- ISA Headquarters: Gurugram
6. Uttarakhand unveils India’s first earthquake early warning mobile app
- Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami has launched earthquake early warning mobile application, titled as ‘Uttarakhand Bhookamp Alert’.
- It is India’s first earthquake early warning’ app for notifying people about earthquake alerts
- It has been developed by IIT Roorkee, in association with Uttarakhand State Disaster Management Authority (USDMA)
- It can detect the onset of the earthquake and issue warnings and the expected time of arrival and intensity to prevent loss of life.
Banking & Finance
7. CBIC launches Indian Customs Compliance Information Portal (CIP)
- CBIC has launched Indian Customs Compliance Information Portal (CIP) at www.cip.icegate.gov.in/CIP for providing free access to information on all Customs procedures and regulatory compliance for nearly 12,000 Customs Tariff Items.
- It will provide complete knowledge of all import and export related requirements for all items covered under the Customs Tariff thereby improving the ease of doing cross border trade at the click of a button.
8. World Bank approves project to make India’s existing dams safe
- World Bank has approved USD 250 million project in India titled as Second Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP-2) agreement for long-term dam safety program and performance of existing dams of India.
- The agreement was inked between World Bank, Govt of India, Central Water Commission (CWC), and government representatives from 10 participating states.
- Implementing agency: CWC
- At state level, approximately 120 dams will be undertaken across the states.
9. Shehroze Kashif becomes youngest mountaineer in the world to scale Mt. K2
- Pakistani climber named Shehroz Kashif (19 years) has become the youngest mountaineer in the world to reach the summit of K2 (second-highest peak in the world).
- He achieved the feat of scaling the 8,611-metre high peak with the aid of bottled oxygen, on July 27, 2021.
- Prior to him, Sajid Sadpara, the son of the legendary climber Muhammad Ali Sadpara, was the youngest person to have climbed K2 at the age of 20.
Arts & Culture
10. ‘My Handloom My Pride Expo’ at Dilli Haat launched
- National Handloom Development Corporation has organized Handloom My Pride Expo at Dilli Haat to celebrate the 7th National Handloom Day (August 7).
- The Expo will provide direct access to the Handloom weavers of various areas of India, to market their genuine Handloom products to consumers.
- The exhibition will be open to public from 11 am to 8 pm till 15th August.
11. APEDA inks MoU with University of Agricultural Science, Bangalore
- APEDA has signed MoU with University of Agricultural Science (UAS) Bangalore to give boost agricultural and processed food products exports especially from Karnataka
- Key areas of cooperation of MoU include developing technologies for advance alertness, efficient & precision farming for enhancing quality exports
- It will also help in strengthening forward and backward linkages, participations in international exhibitions and fairs, etc
12. Padma Shri awardee Dogri writer Padma Sachdev passes away
- Noted author and Padma Shri awardee Padma Sachdev (81 years) passed away in Mumbai.
- He is the first modern woman poet of Dogri language.
- She authored many books in Dogri and Hindi, and her poetry collections, including 'Meri Kavita Mere Geet', won her the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1971.
- She was honoured with Padma Shri in 2001 and Kabir Samman for poetry for 2007-08 by Madhya Pradesh government.