Honours & Awards
1. Svante Paabo wins 2022 Nobel Prize in Medicine for decoding ancient DNA
- Swedish geneticist, Svante Paabo (67) has won the 2022 Nobel Prize in Medicine for discoveries on human evolution.
- This discovery provides understanding of how modern day humans evolved from extinct ancestors.
- He performed his prize-winning studies in Germany at the University of Munich and at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig.
- Paabo is the son of Sune Bergstrom, who won the Nobel prize in medicine in 1982.
Honours & Awards
2. Yunqing Tang wins 2022 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize
- Yunqing Tang, Assistant Professor with the University of California has been awarded the SASTRA Ramanujan Prize for 2022.
- She was born in China and completed her B.Sc in Peking University in 2011.
- She completed her Ph.D in 2016 at Harvard under the supervision of Mark Kisin.
- The award was instituted by the Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA) in 2005.
- This award is presented annually to individuals aged 32 and below.
- Cash prize: $ 10,000
3. President Murmu to launch start-up platform for women entrepreneurs
- President, Droupadi Murmu has launched a start-up platform for women entrepreneurs that was created by Gujarat University.
- 'Her Start' is an initiative of the varsity for women entrepreneurs.
- She has also inaugurated or laid foundation stones of various projects related to education and tribal development.
- She has also inaugurated various projects worth Rs 1,330 crore at a function in Gandhinagar.
- Droupadi Murmu was on visit of Gujarat from October 3 to 4, 2022.
4. BHU launches welfare schemes for PwD, BPL students at university
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU) has launched two major schemes to benefit divyang and below poverty line (BPL) students.
- Under first scheme, the university will transfer Rs 25,000 every year, into the bank accounts of all the divyang students of BHU.
- Under the second scheme, BPL card holder students shall be eligible to receive a financial assistance of Rs. 25,000 per annum.
- This will also be transferred directly into their accounts.
Books & Authors
5. A book titled 'The Last Heroes’ will be released on November 21
- The book titled “The Last Heroes” that has been authored by P Sainath is scheduled to release on November 21, 2022.
- The book has been published by the Penguin Random House India (PRHI).
- This book is an attempt to recognition those freedom fighter stories, who are truly deserve, but were never granted.
- He is also an author of the acclaimed book, Everybody Loves a Good Drought.
- P Sainath was awarded the 2007 Ramon Magsaysay Award.
Banking & Finance
6. SBI launches 'Gram Seva Program' across six states of India
- SBI will adopt 30 remote villages across India under the 4th phase of the ‘SBI Gram Seva’ program.
- This is one of the flagship CSR programs of SBI Foundation.
- The bank will adopt remote villages across Aspirational Districts in Haryana, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and West Bengal.
- Aim: Comprehensive development of villages by active intervention in areas like education, healthcare, livelihoods, and infrastructure.
Honours & Awards
7. Dr. Vivek Lall receives Lifetime Achievement Award by US President
- Dr. Vivek Lall has been honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award by US President, Joe Biden with citation of 'With Grateful Recognition'.
- He is an industry leader and CEO of General Atomics.
- The company is a global leader in the specialised fields of nuclear technology and has developed state-of-the-art Unmanned Aerial Vehicles like the Predator, Reaper, and Guardian drones.
- The citation was given to Dr. Lall by the AmeriCorps, which is a part of the US Government
8. Himachal Pradesh government launches app to aid police
- Himachal Pradesh CM, Jai Ram Thakur has launched the ‘Satya Nishtha’ app that will help state police to investigate and control criminal activities.
- The app will help police to prepare a database of criminals.
- It also study the various offences that take place under different police stations in the district.
- The app was designed under the guidance of Kangra Superintendent of Police Kushal Sharma.
- The data available in the app from be accessed from anywhere and at anytime
9. Rohan Bopanna & Matwe Middelkoop clinch Men's Doubles title at Tel Aviv
- Rohan Bopanna (India) and Matwe Middelkoop (Dutch) have clinched the ATP 250 Tel Aviv Watergen Open men's doubles title.
- They defeated the third seeded Mexican-Argentine pair of Santiago Gonzalez and Andres Molteni by 6-2, 6-4.
- It was Bopanna's third ATP title of the season and 22nd overall.
- Meanwhile, Novak Djokovic has lifted the Tel Aviv Watergen Open men’s singles title after beating Marin Cilic.
- It was his third title of the season and 89th overall.
10. India, New Zealand navies sign pact on White Shipping Information Exchange
- Indian Navy has signed an agreement with the Royal New Zealand Navy on White Shipping Information Exchange.
- Aim: To promote greater transparency in the Maritime Domain.
- The agreement was signed between Navy chief Admiral, R Hari Kumar and Rear Admiral, David Proctor, Chief of Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN).
- The white shipping information refers to the exchange of prior information on the movement and identity of commercial non-military merchant vessels.
11. Chhattisgarh govt launches scheme to develop into rural industrial parks
- Chhattisgarh CM, Bhupesh Baghel has launched a ‘Mahatma Gandhi Rural Industrial Parks’ (MGRIP) scheme.
- Under this scheme, ‘gauthans’ (cow shelters in villages) will be developed as ‘rural industrial parks’.
- In the first phase of this scheme, 300 such facilities are being developed across the state.
- The state government has set up gauthans in over 8,000 villages under its flagship scheme Suraji Gaon Yojana (village good governance scheme).
National & International Appointments
12. Arunachal Pradesh Governor receives an additional charge of Meghalaya
- The government has appointed the governor of Arunachal Pradesh, Brig. (Dr.) B.D. Mishra (Retd.) to discharge the functions of the Governor of Meghalaya, in addition to his own duties.
- Reason: Satya Pal Malik has completed his term on October 3, 2022.
- Satya Pal Malik had been a governor of Bihar (2017), Jammu and Kashmir (2018) and Goa before becoming the Governor of Meghalaya in August 2020.
- Meghalaya Capital: Shillong; Chief minister: Conrad Sangma
13. Sergio Perez wins 2022 Singapore F1 Grand Prix
- Red Bull driver, Sergio Perez has secured the 2022 Singapore F1 Grand Prix, held at Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore.
- Ferrari drivers, Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz Jr. have secured second and third place, respectively, in the race.
- While, Max Verstappen has finished seventh in the race and Hamilton secured ninth.
- Other F1 GP:
- Belgian 2022; Dutch Grand Prix 2022; Italian Grand Prix 2022; Hungarian Grand Prix 2022 – Max Verstappen (Netherlands)