Honours & Awards
1. Karnataka's Sini Shetty crowned Femina Miss India World
- Sini Shetty from Karnataka has been crowned as the Femina Miss India World 2022 title at the grand finale of VLCC Femina Miss India.
- Rubal Shekhawat from Rajasthan has emerged as Femina Miss India 2022 first runner-up and Shinata Chauhan from Uttar Pradesh was named Femina Miss India 2022 second runner-up.
- She will represent India at the prestigious 71st Miss World pageant.
- She is a Bharatanatyam dancer represented Karnataka, though she was born in Mumbai.
2. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates Digital India Week 2022 at Gandhinagar
- PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Digital India Week 2022 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat on July 4, 2022.
- Theme 2022 is Catalyzing New India’s Techade.
- He will also launch ‘Digital India GENESIS’ - a National Deep-tech Startup Platform, to discover, support, grow and make successful startups in Tier-II and Tier-III cities of India.
- He will launch ‘Indiastack.global’; ‘MyScheme’ - a service discovery platform facilitating access to Government Schemes.
3. Carlos Sainz wins maiden F1 British Grand Prix 2022
- Ferrari driver, Carlos Sainz has won his maiden Formula One British Grand Prix 2022 at Silverstone.
- He beat Red Bull’s Sergio Perez and Lewis Hamilton for Mercedes.
- World champion, Max Verstappen has finished at the seventh spot for Red Bull.
- Charles Leclerc has finished at fourth ahead of Fernando Alonso of Alpine and Lando Norris of McLaren.
- Canadian Grand Prix 2022: Max Verstappen
- Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2022: Max Verstappen
- Monaco Grand Prix 2022: Sergio Pérez
4. Vivek Express, longest train journey covers 4,247 Km and 9 States
- The Vivek Express, which runs from Dibrugarh in Assam to Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu, holds the title of the longest train route in the country (both in terms of distance and time).
- The train covers total of nine states: Assam, Nagaland, Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu.
- The announcement of the Vivek Express was made in presentation of the railway budget for 2011-12 by Mamata Banerjee (then Railway Minister of India).
5. Jasprit Bumrah breaks Brian Lara’s world record, smashes Broad for 29 runs
- India captain, Jasprit Bumrah defeated Stuart Broad for 29 runs to create a world record for maximum runs off a single over in Test cricket.
- He also breaks the legendary Brian Lara’s feat by one run.
- The world record stayed with Lara for 18 years, he had hit South African left-arm spinner, Robin Peterson for 28 runs in a Test match in 2003-04.
- Broad had also been hit for six sixes in an over by Yuvraj Singh in the inaugural World T20 in 2007.
Banking & Finance
6. Edelweiss partners with Avanse Financial for student travel insurance
- Edelweiss General Insurance has joined hands with NBFC, Avanse Financial Services to provide travel insurance to Indian students.
- It offers complete coverage against medical, stay, travel inconvenience-related covers, emergencies and losses.
- The students can also customize their plan per their needs and requirements from universities.
- According to the Industry reports, the number of Indian students going abroad for higher studies is expected to touch 18 lakh by 2024.
7. NTPC commissions India's largest floating solar project in Telangana
- India’s largest floating solar plant is now fully operational at Ramagundam, Peddapalli district of Telangana.
- Capacity : 100MW
- This floating solar power photovoltaic project was commissioned by the NTPC.
- As of July 1, the total commercial operation of floating solar capacity in the southern region has risen to 217 MW.
- At Ramagundam, the solar modules are placed across 500 acres on floaters.
- It will reduce the evaporation rate and thereby help water conservation.
8. NHA join hands with Irdai to develop National Health Claims Exchange
- National Health Authority (NHA) and Irdai will jointly develop a National Health Claims Exchange as a digital platform to settle health claims.
- Debasish Panda (Chairman of IRDAI) has proposed for creation of a working group with representation from industry.
- This group will decide how to make the largest segment of general insurance in India attract more people to buy health insurance.
- CEO of NHA: R S Sharma
9. Government set up FSIB, a sole entity for bank board appointments
- The Central government has decided to set up Financial Services Institutions Bureau (FSIB) as a single entity for appointments of Wholetime Directors and Non-Executive Directors in public sector banks (PSBs), public sector insurers (PSIs) and financial institutions (FIs).
- This new entity will be headed by former Chairman of Banks Board Bureau, Bhanu Pratap Sharma for two years.
- The Cabinet committee, headed by the Prime Minister has approved the establishment of FSIB.
10. Visionary British theatre director, Peter Brook passes away
- A British theatre and cinema director, Peter Brook has passed away at the age of 97.
- He was born in London and transferred from Britain to Paris in 1970.
- He was received the Tony Award for Best Direction in 1966 for his interpretation of Peter Weiss’ “Marat/Sade,” and in 1970 for the production of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”
- He was also the recipient of an Emmy, an Olivier Award and an International Emmy during his whole career.