1. The 36th edition of the Surajkund Crafts Mela commences in Faridabad
- The 36th edition of the Surajkund International Crafts Mela commenced in Faridabad, Haryana on February 3, 2023, and will continue till February 19, 2023.
- It was organized by the Surajkund Mela Authority and Haryana Tourism in association with the Ministry of Tourism, Textiles, Culture, and External Affairs.
- It was inaugurated by the Vice President of India, Jagdeep Dhankhar.
- Theme state 2023: North-East region
- Partner nation: Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
2. Bhupender Yadav launches ‘Save Wetlands Campaign’ for conservation
- Union Minister for Environment, Bhupender Yadav launched the ‘Save Wetlands Campaign’ in Goa.
- It is structured on a “whole of society” approach to wetlands conservation.
- It enables affirmative actions for wetlands conservation at all levels of society and involves all strata of society.
- He also released two publications - ‘India’s 75 Amrit Dharohar- India’s Ramsar Sites Factbook’ and ‘Managing Climate Risks in Wetlands – A Practitioner’s Guide.
3. NTPC to host seminar on ‘Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage'
- NTPC will host G20 international seminar on Carbon Capture, Utilisation, and Storage (CCUS) on 5 February 2023 in Bengaluru.
- This seminar will be attended by industries, policymakers, scientists, and academicians from different countries.
- Focus: Achieving clean energy transition and subsequently moving towards net zero
- CCUS is a technology that can capture and make effective use of the high concentrations of carbon dioxide emitted by industrial activities.
4. Sports Minister launches mascot for 3rd Khelo India Winter Game
- The Sports Minister, Anurag Singh Thakur, and LG of J&K, Manoj Sinha launched the Mascot, Theme Song, and Jersey for the 3rd edition of Khelo India Winter Games in Jammu & Kashmir.
- The Winter Games are scheduled to be held from 10-14 February 2023 at Gulmarg, J&K.
- It is supported by the Ministry of Sports and organized by the J&K Sports Council and Winter Games Association, J&K.
- Mascot: Snow Leopard (depicts the vibrant heritage of the Himalayas)
5. J&K LG Manoj Sinha inaugurates SARAS Aajeevika Mela 2023
- J&K LG, Manoj Sinha inaugurated the SARAS Aajeevika Mela 2023 at Aquaplex Crown at Bagh-e-Bahu, Jammu.
- The fair was participated by the women's Self Help Groups from around 25 States and UTs across the country.
- Aim: To provide a platform for the rural SHG women to sell and promote their self-made products
- On this platform, the SHG will display handicrafts, handloom, and natural food items from different rural areas across the country.
6. World Cancer Day 2023: 4th February
- World Cancer Day is observed on February 4 each year to create awareness about cancer and to encourage its identification, prevention, and treatment.
- It is being observed with the slogan "close the care gap" -- a call for equitable access to cancer care.
- Blue and Orange are the official colors for world cancer day 2023.
- This day originated on 4th February 2000 at the first World Summit Against Cancer, which was held in Paris.
7. Kerala to setup green hydrogen hubs over next 2 years
- The Kerala government presented announced a road map for setting up green hydrogen hubs in Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram in the coming two years.
- The outlay for this scheme: Rs 200 crore
- Aim: To build green hydrogen plants that can produce 60 tonnes of hydrogen per day.
- It will be established with a 150 MW Electrolyser and storage infrastructure.
- The Hydrogen produced through the electrolysis of water is known as green hydrogen.
- Kerala's Finance Minister: K.N. Balagopal
8. Coal India arm MCL introduces drone technology in coal mines
- Coal India arm, MCL has introduced drone technology through a web-based portal 'VIHANGAM' along with a drone and ground control system in coal mines.
- Aim: For environmental monitoring, volume measurement, and photogrammetric mapping of mines for digitalization of the mining process.
- It allows an authorized person to access real-time drone video from the mine.
- This pilot project is at present operational at Bhubaneswari and Lingraj opencast mines, Talcher Coalfields.
9. Veteran playback singer, Vani Jayaram passes away
- Popular South Indian playback singer, Vani Jayaram passes away at 78 in Chennai.
- The Government announced the Padma Bhushan award for the late singer this year.
- She did playback for over one thousand Indian movies and recorded over 10 thousand songs.
- She sang in Tamil, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Gujarati, Haryanvi, Assamese, Tulu, and Bengali languages.
- She had won National Film Awards three times and also was honoured with a lifetime achievement award by Filmfare (2013).
Science & Technology
10. Jupiter beats Saturn to become the planet with most moons
- Scott Sheppard, Astronomer of Washington's Carnegie Institution for Science has discovered 12 new moons around Jupiter planet.
- Now, Jupiter has 92 moons.
- Jupiter planet has overtaken Saturn planet, which has 83 moons at present.
- The orbits of the 12 hitherto undiscovered moons of Jupiter have been published by the Minor Planet Center (MPC).
- Of the 12 new moons, nine are particularly distant.
- The MPC estimates that these nine moons have orbits longer than 550 days.