National & International Organizations
1. India bags 48th rank at Global Innovation Index 2020
- India has been ranked 48th in the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2020 overall rankings.
- India stands at 52nd position in 2019 and 81st in 2015
- GII is co-published by UN World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University, and INSEAD
- GII 2020 comprises of 131 countries/economies that represents 93.5% of the world’s population and 97.4% of the world’s GDP
- The index is topped by Switzerland, followed by Sweden and US
- Theme 2020: Who Will Finance Innovation?
2. Sumit Nagal wins grand slam singles main draw match
- Sumit Nagal (23 years) has become the first Indian to win a singles main draw match at a Grand Slam in the last 7 years.
- He went into second round of the ongoing US Open Tennis by defeating Bradley Klahn of USA 6-1, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 in the first round of the US Open
- Prior to him, Somdev Devvarman is the last player to reach the second round of the Australian Open, French Open and US Open in 2013
- He will now face Austria's Dominic Thiem in the 2nd round.
3. MoTA inaugurates National Tribal Research Conclave
- Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda along with Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) inaugurates National Tribal Research Conclave
- It is 2-day conclave that is being held on 3rd and 4th September, 2020
- It was previously held in January 2020
- The conclave will review the outcome of various projects being implemented under different partnerships and the best practices to be followed by stakeholders along with road map of National Tribal Research Institutes
National & International Appointments
4. Mustapha Adib appointed as Prime Minister of Lebanon
- Mustapha Adib (48 years) has been appointed as the Prime Minister of Lebanon.
- He replaced Hassan Diab.
- Mustapha Adib received support from 90 of 120 MPs to form government and got elected as new Prime Minister of Lebanon
- Prior to this, he served as the diplomat and was the ambassador of Lebanon to Germany (2013 to 2020)
- Lebanon is an West Asian country.
- Lebanon Capital: Beirut
- Currency: Lebanese pound
- President of Lebanon: Michel Aoun.
5. Former diplomat Katyayani Shankar Bajpai passes away
- Former diplomat and Doyen of Indian Foreign Policy Katyayani Shankar Bajpai (92 years) passes away
- He served as the ambassador in India’s three most important and challenging posts namely US, China, and Pakistan.
- He was also the Chairman of National Security Advisory Board from 2008 to 2010
- He was the son of Girja Shankar Bajpai, first secretary-general of Ministry of External Affairs.
6. Govt approves ‘Mission Karmayogi’ National Programme
- Union Cabinet has approved ‘Mission Karmayogi’ which is a National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)
- Aim: To build future-ready civil servants with right attitude, skills & knowledge with focus on competency led capacity building
- The mission will focus on setting-up Prime Minister’s Public Human Resources (HR) Council, Capacity Building Commission, Special Purpose Vehicle for digital assets and Coordination Unit
National & International Appointments
7. Usha Padhee became 1st woman DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
- Usha Padhee has been given additional charge as Director General (DG) of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- She is the 1st woman and third IAS officer to have been appointed to BCAS’s DG.
- She was serving as the joint secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation and was handling flagship scheme of regional connectivity.
- She will replace Rakesh Asthana, who has been moved to the Border Security Force (BSF) as director general.
8. UP Govt to set up anti-electricity theft police stations in every district
- Uttar Pradesh Govt has announced to set up exclusive anti-electricity theft police stations in each district of UP to address the problem of frequent power theft cases.
- Anti-electricity theft police stations have already started functioning in 63 districts.
- It is regulated by an enforcement team, whose numbers have also been raised from 33 to 88.
- People can file a case in these stations for irregularities and crimes related to electricity.
- UP CM: Yogi Adityanath
9. Govt approves MoU between India & Japan for textiles
- Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Japan for improving quality and testing of Indian textiles and clothing for the Japanese market.
- It will facilitate Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre, Japan in assigning Textile Committee as their cooperative Testing and Inspection service providers in India
- Textiles & Apparel products including Technical Textiles for both domestic and overseas clients/buyers are being agreed in the MoU
Banking & Finance
10. ICICI Prudential Life rolls out AI-voice chatbot ‘LiGo’
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance has rolled out an AI-powered voice chatbot named as ‘LiGo’ on Google Assistant in English and 9 Indian languages
- LiGo will enable its policyholders to get their queries addressed by simple voice commands.
- This service has been launched as part of customer service initiative
- Using this, customers can instantly access information regarding their policies by activating ‘Google Assistant’ and speaking policy number or registered number.
11. Jal Shakti Ministry launches Water Heroes Contest 2.0
- Ministry of Jal Shakti has launched ‘Water Heroes – Share Your Stories’ Contest from September 1, 2020 for water conservation and management.
- Entries will be invited every month and maximum of 10 entries can be considered for the awards.
- All selected entries will be get cash prize of Rs. 10,000 each and a certificate
- Participants need to post their success stories on water conservation through 1-5 min video with a write-up of 300 words and some pictures
Science & Technology
12. NIDHI-EIR Brochure featuring Residence Entrepreneurs launched
- DST launched brochure featuring Entrepreneurs in Residence (EIR) under National Initiative for Developing and Harnessing Innovations (NIDHI) programme at the event organized by Venture Centre
- The brochure has all details about works of EIRs, project execution partners and is also meant to be their directory
- NIDHI-EIR programme provides opportunities for entrepreneurial career goals and aspirations
13. Govt approves MoU between India & Finland for Geology and Mineral Resources
- Govt has approved an MoU between India and Finland for cooperation in the field of Geology and Mineral Resources, training, and suitability analysis with the intent of reinforcing and strengthening scientific links.
- The participants of MoU are Geological Survey of India, Ministry of Mines, the Government of the Republic of India and Geological Survey of Finland (Geologiantutkimuskeskus), Ministry of Employment and the Economy, the Government of Finland.