1. World’s largest Khadi National Flag hoisted in Leh, Ladakh
- World’s largest national flag, made up of Khadi cloth, has been installed in Leh, Ladakh, on the occasion of 152nd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2nd October 2021.
- Ladakh Lt Governor RK Mathur inaugurated the flag
- This Indian tricolor is 225-feet long and 150-feet wide with weight of around 1,000 kg.
- The flag is made by Khadi Dyers and Printers based in Mumbai, affiliated to KVIC by 57 Engineer Regiment of the Indian Army.
National & International Appointments
2. Amish Mehta appointed as MD & CEO of CRISIL
- Amish Mehta has been appointed as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD & CEO) of credit rating agency CRISIL with effect from October 1, 2021.
- He succeeded Ashu Suyash.
- He joined CRISIL in October 2014 as President and Chief Financial Officer and became Chief Operating Officer (COO) in July 2017
- CRISIL is an Indian analytical company that provides ratings, research, and advisory services
- It is a subsidiary of American company S&P Global.
Honours & Awards
3. LIFE organization among 4 to receive 2021 Right Livelihood Award
- Delhi-based environmental organization ‘Legal Initiative for Forest and Environment (LIFE)’ has been felicitated with 2021 Right Livelihood Award for its grassroots approach of empowering vulnerable communities to protect their livelihoods
- The award is also known as Sweden’s alternative Nobel Prize
- It was established in 1980 by Jakob von Uexkull
- It comes with a cash prize of 1 million Swedish crowns ($115,000)
- Other awardees:
- Marthe Wandou
- Vladimir Slivyak
- Freda Huson
4. National Wildlife Week: 2nd to 8th October 2021
- Wildlife Week is observed in India every year from 2nd to 8th October, to conserve and protect the fauna or animal life of the country.
- 2021 is the 67th edition of Wildlife Week.
- Theme 2021: Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet.
- It was conceptualized in 1952 to raise awareness of safeguarding the lives of wildlife through critical action.
- The day observes various event with Vizag Zoo Wildlife Run as the concluding one.
Honours & Awards
5. Shiv Nadar, Mallika Srinivasan to be awarded 2021 Global Leadership Award
- Shiv Nadar and Mallika Srinivasan has been chosen for 2021 Global Leadership Award by US India Business Council (USIBC)
- They will be honored at 2021 India Ideas Summit to be held on 6-7 October 2021
- Global Leadership Awards was given annually since 2007 to honor top corporate executives from US and India
- Shiv Nadar: Founder and chairman emeritus of HCL Technologies Limited.
- Mallika Srinivasan: Chair and managing director, Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited (TAFE).
6. PM Modi launches Jal Jeevan Mission App and Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh
- PM Modi has virtually launched Jal Jeevan Mission App and Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh as a part of the flagship Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM), launched in 2019.
- JJM App has been launched to improve awareness among stakeholders and for greater transparency and accountability of schemes
- Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh (RJJK): It is a registered public charitable trust and will enable individual, institution, corporation, etc, either in India or abroad to provide tap water connection
7. Union Minister launches month-long nationwide ‘Clean India Programme’
- Union Ministry, Anurag Thakur has launched month-long nation-wide cleanliness drive ‘Clean India Programme’ as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebration
- The programme will remain active from 1st to 31st October 2021
- It was inaugurated from Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh
- Aim: to create awareness, mobilize people and ensure their involvement in cleaning waste
- It propagates the mantra of Clean India: Safe India.
Books & Authors
8. Indra Nooyi launches memoir My Life in Full: Work, Family and Our Future
- Former CEO of PepsiCo, Indra Nooyi has come out with her memoir titled as ‘My Life in Full: Work, Family, and Our Future’.
- The book has been published by Hachette India.
- This book is all about the journey of Nooyi’s life from a middle-class girl from Chennai to becoming the global chief executive of PepsiCo in 2006 and her success in the corporate world.
- Indra Nooyi consistently ranked among the world's 100 most powerful women.
9. Birendra Lakra and SV Sunil announces retirement from International Hockey
- Veteran forward star striker of India men’s hockey team, S V Sunil (32 years) and Olympic bronze medal-winning Indian hockey defender Birendra Lakra (31 years) have announced their retirement from international hockey
- Lakra was part of bronze winning Indian side in Tokyo Olympics 2020 as vice-captain. He has represented India in 197 games with 10 goals
- S V Sunil has scored 72 goals in 264 appearances for the national team
- R.P Singh has already announced retirement
10. Ministry of Social Justice organizes VAYO NAMAN for senior citizen
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has organised VAYO NAMAN Programme in New Delhi to mark International Day of Older Persons
- On the occasion, Venkaiah Naidu presented Vayoshreshtha Samman-2021 to senior citizens and dedicated Elderly Line 14567 to the Nation.
- He also launched two portals of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, namely SAGE (Seniorcare Aging Growth Engine) and SACRED (Senior Able Citizens for Re-Employment in Dignity).
11. Paytm acquires 100% ownership of lending startup CreditMate
- Paytm has acquired 100% stake in Mumbai-based digital lending startup CreditMate. However, transaction details of the deal have not been disclosed.
- Paytm Group will now be the 100% beneficial owners of the business, while co-founders of CreditMate will exit the business.
- CreditMate was founded in 2019 by Jonathan Bill, Ashish Doshi, Swati Lad and Aditya Singh as a collection platform that help lenders collect overdue payments from borrowers.
- CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma