National & International Appointments
1. VR Krishna Gupta assumes additional charge of Chairman of BPCL
- Vetsa Rama Krishna Gupta has assumed the additional charge of Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL).
- He has replaced Arun Kumar Singh, who superannuated on 31st October 2022.
- Gupta has joined BPCL in August 1998 and has an experience across Finance functions (Commercial Finance, Corporate Accounts, Risk Management, Budgeting, Treasury operations, etc).
- Presently, he is serving as a Board member in BPRL and Fino Paytech Limited.
2. DRDO successfully conducts flight-test of Phase-II AD-1 missile
- DRDO has conducted a successful maiden flight-test of Phase-II Ballistic Missile Defence interceptor AD-1 missile from APJ Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha.
- This flight-test was carried out with the participation of all BMD weapon system elements.
- AD-1 is a long-range interceptor missile.
- It is designed for both low exo-atmospheric and endo-atmospheric interception of long-range ballistic missiles as well as aircraft.
- It is propelled by a two-stage solid motor.
3. Meghalaya launched Citizen Engagement and Communication Programme
- CM Conrad Sangma has launched the Citizen Engagement and Communication Programme at Tura, West Garo Hills district of Meghalaya.
- With this programme, the state govt can create awareness about the correct information of schemes to avail benefits to citizens.
- The govt has launched various welfare programmes and information should be spread for the larger benefit of the public.
- Aim: to increase the penetration of all schemes so that governance is improved in all aspects.
4. SEWA founder, Elaben Bhatt passes away
- A noted Gandhian, and founder of the Self-Employed Women’s Association (SEWA), Elaben Bhatt has been passed away at the age of 89.
- She was the Chairperson of Sabarmati Ashram and recently resigned as the Chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi-founded Gujarat Vidhyapith.
- In 2007, she joined the group of world leaders called the Elders (founded by Nelson Mandela) to promote human rights and peace across the world.
- Awards: Padma Bhushan (1985), Ramon Magsaysay Award (1977)
Summits & Conferences
5. Goa hosts CANSO Asia Pacific Conference
- The three day Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO) Conference is being organised in Goa from 1st to 3rd November 2022.
- Aim: To turn the Complete Air Traffic System (CATS) Global Council’s vision for the skies of 2045 into a reality.
- The delegates and exhibitors from the Asia Pacific region and beyond has discussed and collaborated on the key issues.
- Theme: Think Global, Collaborate Regional, Accomplish Local
Books & Authors
6. A Book “Nuclearization of Asia” released by French author, Rene Naba
- A book titled “De la Nucléarisation de l’Asie“(Nuclearization of Asia), authored by Rene Naba (French) has been released
- The book is bilingual book, and will be available in both French and English.
- The book discusses the nuclear emergency and threat posed by the nexus of Pakistan and China.
- The book was published by Golias.
- He is also a writer of “Pakistan facing the challenge of the post Western world and Eurasia”, published in 2018
7. Arunachal Pradesh's Hollongi Airport renamed as Donyi Polo Airport
- The Union Cabinet committee, chaired by PM Narendra Modi has approved the naming of greenfield airport at Hollongi, Itanagar, as Donyi Polo Airport.
- This reflect the people’s reverence of the Sun (Donyi) and the Moon (Polo), that symbolize the traditions and rich cultural heritage of the state.
- It is the third airport of state after Pasighat and Tezu airports.
- The airport was developed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) at a cost of ₹646 crore.
8. Khattar launches ‘CM dashboard’ for live monitoring of departments
- Haryana CM, Manohar Lal Khattar has launched the “CM dashboard” to access the real-time data of all departments and decisions taken on major schemes.
- It will provide live monitoring of every department at the block, district and panchayat levels.
- This will enable tracking of methodology and analysis of reports, and also help the govt in comparing the old data with new data.
- He has also launched a dedicated e-Upphar portal to auction gifts received by him.
9. Central Vigilance Awareness Week 2022: 31st Oct to 6th Nov
- Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) has observed Vigilance Awareness Week from 31st October 2022 (birth of Vallabhbhai Patel) to 6th November, 2022.
- Theme 2022: Corruption free India for a developed Nation
- During the Vigilance Awareness Week, public meetings held at district and block levels in order to raise public awareness against perils of corruption.
- CVC has the mandate under the CVC Act, 2003 to fight corruption and to ensure integrity in public administration.
10. India emerges as leading defence exporter to African nations
- As per the report, by the India EXIM bank, India has emerged as a leading defence exporter Africa's maritime, aerospace and defence requirements with Mauritius, Mozambique and Seychelles.
- These countries has become the major buyers of Indian arms during 2017-2021.
- Report title: 'Reinvigorating India's Economic Engagements with Southern Africa'
- The report was released at the inauguration of the CII-Exim Bank Regional Conclave on India-Southern Africa Growth Partnership.
11. Garuda Aerospace, IISc sign MoU for research projects, geographical surveys
- Garuda Aerospace has signed an MoU with the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) for collaborative research operations and services using unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
- The Department of Aerospace Engineering (DoAE) at IISC will provide support them for future operations.
- It will provide developments of digital input processing packaging tools, including yield estimation from a given image, diagnoses of crops, and mapping of fields.
- CEO Garuda: Agnishwar Jayaprakash
Banking & Finance
12. Bank of India launches special deposit scheme
- The Bank of India has launched a special fixed deposit scheme named Star Super Triple Seven Fixed Deposit.
- This special scheme is providing 7.25% rate of interest (7.75 per cent for citizens) on a deposit for 777 days, for limited period.
- The bank has raised interest rate on its existing 555-days fixed deposit scheme to 6.30%.
- And, on other maturities from 180 days to less than 5 years, it has raised interest rates by 25 basis points.
Banking & Finance
13. Niva Bupa & IDFC FIRST Bank partner for Bancassurance
- Niva Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited (NBHICL) has partnered with IDFC FIRST Bank to provide best-in-class health insurance solutions to the bank’s customers.
- It is the first bancassurance partnership of NBHICL for FY 23.
- Benefit: With this partnership, NBHIC can expand its reach through bank for their services, and address the healthcare related concerns of the bank's customers.
- Previously, NBHIC was known as the Max Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited.