Honours & Awards
1. Canara Bank wins Banker’s Bank of the Year Award at Global Banking Summit
- Canara Bank has won the "Banker's Bank of the Year Award 2022" for the Indian segment of the Global Banking Summit.
- The public sector lender has been adjudged as the Best Bank in India for 2022.
- The event was held in London where the bank’s MD and CEO L V Prabhakar received the award from the organisers.
- The Bankers’ Bank of the year awards are considered to be like Oscar awards for the banking sector.
National & International Appointments
2. Wearables brand Noise signs Virat Kohli as brand ambassador
- Wearables technology company, NOISE has roped in cricketer Virat Kohli as its new brand ambassador for its smartwatch range.
- Kohli was earlier the brand ambassador of Boltt Games Pvt. Ltd owned Fire-Boltt.
- The former Indian cricket captain saw his brand value drop by 21% to $185.7 million in 2021.
- However, he still topped the rankings in a survey of most valuable Indian celebrities by consultant Kroll Inc.
Arts & Culture
3. French baguette is added to UNESCO's 'intangible cultural heritage' list
- Baguette, the staple French bread was inscribed into the UN’s list of intangible cultural heritage (ICH).
- UNESCO is a international body which aims at promoting peace and cooperation among nations through education, arts, sciences and culture.
- The baguette is a long and thin loaf made of flour, water, salt and yeast, and is consumed as a staple in France.
- In March 2021, France nominated the baguette as its candidate for consideration within the UNESCO ICH list.
4. 3rd T20 World Cup cricket tournament for Blind to be held in India
- The third T20 World Cup Cricket Tournament for the Blind will be held from December 5 to 17, 2022 in India.
- The participating nations for World Cup 2022 are Australia, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and the host, India.
- The tournament is being organised to mark the World Disability Day celebrations universally.
- Former India batter Yuvraj Singh is the brand ambassador of the tournament.
5. Amara Raja Batteries to set up lithium-ion battery unit in Telangana
- Amara Raja Batteries Ltd will be setting up a state-of-the-art research and manufacturing facility for lithium-ion batteries in Mahbubnagar district, Telangana.
- It intends to invest over ₹9,500 crore over the next 10 years in the lithium cell giga factory.
- The facility will be set up with an ultimate capacity up to 16 GWh and a battery pack assembly unit up to 5 GWh.
- The upcoming facilities are expected to provide employment opportunities to about 4,000 people.
6. PLI scheme to support India’s 2030 dronehub mission launched
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation has notified the operational guidelines for the PLI scheme for drones and drone components in India.
- This will fulfill India's aim of becoming a prominent drone manufacturing hub by 2030.
- The govt has approved the PLI scheme with an outlay of Rs 120 crore and the scheme which will be in force till March 31 2025.
- Under the PLI scheme, the total incentive per manufacturer is capped at Rs 30 crore.
7. Odisha transforming women SHGs into SMEs
- Odisha Govt announced to transform the SHGs into Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) and turn them into vibrant financial hubs.
- It is to be noted that six lakh SHGs are working in Odisha.
- The government’s decision to provide interest-free loans of up to Rs 5 lakh to the women under Mission Shakti will benefit lakhs of women.
- Mission Shakti intiative started in 2001 has now become a huge force of 70 lakh empowered women in Odisha.
Honours & Awards
8. SS Rajamouli wins Best Director at New York Film Critics Circle
- Filmmaker SS Rajamouli won the Best Director Award for RRR at the New York Film Critics Circle.
- The group is one of the first critics’ groups to weigh in on the awards season.
- At the New York Film Critics Circle, Todd Field’s Tar has won the Best Picture of the year, also nabbing Best Actress for Cate Blanchett’s leading performance.
- Colin Farrell won Best Actor for two of his performances this year — After Yang and The Banshees of Inisherin.
9. India to assume chairmanship of Wassenaar Arrangement on 1 Jan
- India will assume the chairmanship of the Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) on 1 January 2023, for a period of one year.
- Wassenaar Arrangement is a multilateral technology control agreement.
- The primary goal of the organisation is to restrict access to sensitive technologies for terrorist outfits.
- The Wassenaar Arrangement came into being in 1996 and has 42 members.
- India joined the Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) in 2017 and became its 42nd member.
Honours & Awards
10. India's Greenhouse-in-a-Box startup Kheyti wins 2022 Earthshot Prize
- A Greenhouse-in-a-Box sustainable solution for small farmers Earthshot Prize 2022.
- The solution has been devised by Telangana startup Kheyti.
- The 1 million pounds Earthshot Prize has been founded by Britain's Prince William and dubbed the Eco Oscars'.
- Kheyti, one of the five winners at a gala green carpet awards ceremony in Boston, won the prize in the Protect and Restore Nature category.
- Kheyti offers shelter from unpredictable elements and destructive pests.