National & International Appointments
1. Nikol Pashinyan re-appointed as Prime Minister of Armenia
- Nikol Pashinyan (46 years) has been re-appointed officially as the Prime Minister of Armenia by the President Armen Sarkissian with effect from August 2, 2021.
- He is the leader of the Civil Contract Party and won majority of seats around 71 in parliamentary elections in June 2021.
- He was first appointed as the Prime Minister of Armenia in 2018.
- Armenia’s Capital: Yerevan.
- Currency of Armenia: Armenian dram.
Books & Authors
2. Novelist Kunal Basu to release his new book ‘In An Ideal World’
- Renowned Indian author, Kunal Basu has announced to release his new novel titled ‘In An Ideal World’ in early 2022.
- The novel will be published by Penguin Random House India.
- The novel is a powerful, gritty and fast-paced literary novel with a variety of themes like college, politics, family, crime investigation and fanaticism.
- Kunal Basu is best-known for The Japanese Wife, The Opium Clerk, The Miniaturist, Racists, The Yellow Emperor's Cure and Sarojini's Mother.
National & International Organizations
3. India takes over UNSC presidency for August 2021
- India has assumed the Presidency of United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for August 2021
- India will decide the agenda for August and coordinate important meetings and other related issues.
- India will focus on three priority areas during its presidency: maritime security, peacekeeping, and counter-terrorism.
- India joined UNSC in January 2021 for 2 year term as one of the 10 rotating non-permanent members.
- UNSC HQs: New York.
Banking & Finance
4. SBI launches ‘SIM Binding’ feature for YONO and YONO Lite
- SBI has launched new and enhanced security feature for its YONO and YONO Lite apps titled as ‘SIM Binding’ to protect customers from various digital frauds.
- Under this, YONO and YONO Lite apps will work only on those devices which have SIM of mobile numbers registered with the Bank.
- Aim: To provide enhanced security to customers and help them with convenient and safe online banking experience.
- Chairman of SBI: Dinesh Kumar Khara.
5. Esteban Ocon wins Hungarian Grand Prix 2021
- Alpine-Renault team’s Esteban Ocon (France) has won Hungarian Grand Prix 2021, which was held on August 1, 2021 at Hungaroring in Mogyoród, Hungary.
- This is the maiden F1 race victory for Esteban Ocon.
- Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin-Mercedes/Germany) came second, followed by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain)
- With this, he took the Formula One championship lead from Max Verstappen.
- Hungarian Grand Prix was the eleventh round of 2021 F-1 Championship.
6. Bhubaneswar becomes first city in India to achieve 100% COVID vaccination
- Odisha capital’s Bhubaneswar has become first city in India to achieve 100% vaccination of its people against COVID-19
- Additionally, about 1 lakh migrant workers have also been administered first dose of COVID vaccine
- Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation had set benchmarks for different categories of people to complete the vaccination process within the specific timelines by the 31st July 2021.
- Those vaccinated include about 9 lakh people of 18 years of age and above.
7. Centenarian Sprinter Man Kaur passes away
- Multiple World Masters Athletics Championship gold medalist, Man Kaur (105 years) passed away due to heart attack.
- She was diagnosed with cancer some months back.
- She was referred to as ‘Miracle from Chandigarh’.
- She belongs to Patiala, Punjab and started as an athlete at the age of 93.
- She won her first medal at the Chandigarh Master’s in 2010 and bagged the gold in 60m dash race, 200m sprint, shot put and javelin throw.
8. Sri Lankan all-rounder Isuru Udana retires from international cricket
- Sri Lanka left-arm fast bowling all-rounder, Isuru Udana (3 years) has announced his retirement from international cricket with effect from July 31, 2021, bringing an end to his over decade long career.
- He played 21 ODIs and 35 T20Is for Sri Lanka, taking 45 wickets across international career with sporadic appearances over 12 years
- He made his T20I debut in 2009 against Australia at T20 World Cup in which Sri Lanka lost the final to Pakistan.
Science & Technology
9. IIT Roorkee launches New Academic Programmes
- IIT, Roorkee has launched seven new academic programmes in select areas of engineering, architecture, economics, and management along with specialization in Data Science and AI to cater the rising demand for new-age technologies
- These programmes are inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary in line with National Education Policy 2020
- It include 6 postgraduate degree programs and a five-year integrated program, would be offered to students from 2021-2022.
10. Unique programme to celebrate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav launched
- Culture Ministry has launches unique programme to celebrate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav on Independence Day 2021
- In this initiative, people have been invited to sing the National anthem and upload the video on website www.RASHTRAGAAN.IN.
- The compilation of National Anthem will be shown live on 15th August 2021.
- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav was started from Mahatma Gandhi's Sabarmati Ashram on 12th March 2021.
11. Eco tourism identified as one of the Niche Tourism areas for development
- Ministry of Tourism has identified Eco tourism as one of the Niche Tourism areas for development in India
- Ecotourism: Form of tourism involving responsible travel to natural areas, conserving the environment, and improving the well-being of the local people.
- Draft National Strategy and Roadmap for Sustainable Tourism with focus on ecotourism has also been formulated
- Ministry of Tourism, under its Swadesh Darshan scheme is developing theme-based tourism circuits
Science & Technology
12. Union Minister releases Biotech-PRIDE guidelines
- Union Minister of Science & Technology has released ‘Biotech-PRIDE’ (Promotion of Research and Innovation through Data Exchange) Guidelines
- It has been developed by Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
- Initially, they will be implemented through Indian Biological Data Centre (IBDC) or Bio-Grid at Regional Centre for Biotechnology
- It will enable exchange of information to promote research and innovation in different research groups across the country.
Science & Technology
13. ISRO presented SATNAV Policy 2021 for public consultation
- ISRO has presented Indian Satellite Navigation Policy 2021 (SATNAV Policy 2021) draft on its official website for public consultation
- Aim: To address the growing demands of space-based navigation and timing applications, with the view of self-sustenance in areas of commercial, strategic, and societal applications to maximize the socio-economic benefits.
- Navigation signals are offered free-to-air for a variety of applications like tracking, telematics, automotive, etc