1. Indian navy successfully test-fired Anti-ship version of BrahMos missile
- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile (Anti-ship version) was successfully test-fired jointly by the Indian Navy and the Andaman and Nicobar Command (The only tri-services command of the Indian armed forces).
- A joint venture of India-Russian, BrahMos Aerospace, produces supersonic cruise missiles that can be launched from ships, aircraft, submarines, or land platforms.
- BrahMos missile flies at a speed of 2.8 Mach.
- The range of the advanced version of the missile: 350km.
National & International Appointments
2. Lt Gen BS Raju appointed as Vice Chief of Army Staff
- The Indian Army's Director General of Military Operations, Lieutenant General Baggavalli Somashekar Raju has been appointed as the Vice Chief of the Army Staff from May 1.
- He was an alumnus of Sainik School Bijapur and National Defence Academy and commissioned in the Jat Regiment on December 15, 1984.
- He had commanded a battalion during Operation Parakram in the Western Theatre and J&K.
- Awards: Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Uttam Yudh Seva Medal, and Yudh Seva Medal.
Summits & Conferences
3. IAF chief inaugurates logistics seminar LOGISEM VAYU-2022
- Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal, Vivek Chaudhari has inaugurated the logistics seminar LOGISEM VAYU-2022 in New Delhi.
- He emphasized that the present supply chain management should look forward with an aim to improve the logistics capabilities.
- Logistics philosophy document of IAF titled 'Tenets of Logistics' and a book on the history of Logistics in IAF titled 'Footprints in Sands of Time' were released.
4. MSME minister Narayan Rane inaugurates Enterprise India
- Union Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Narayan Rane has inaugurated Enterprise India (Ministry’s Mega Event) under the celebrations of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- “Enterprise India” is a month-long series of commemorative entrepreneurship development events and activities being held from 27.04.2022 up to 27.05.2022.
- Aim: To promote entrepreneurship culture and create awareness about the schemes and initiatives of the Ministry of MSME.
Banking & Finance
5. Cabinet approves additional funding of Rs 820 crore for IPPB
- The Union Cabinet has approved additional funding of Rs. 820 crores for India Post Payments Bank (IPPB).
- with this grant, the project outlay for setting up of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has been revised from Rs.1435 crore to Rs.2255 crore.
- The Cabinet has also granted in-principle approval for a future fund of Rs.500 crore for meeting regulatory requirements and technological upgradation.
- India Post Payments Bank was launched on September 1, 2018.
Banking & Finance
6. RBI modifies norms on short-term crop loan scheme via Kisan Credit Card
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has amended norms for banks to claim the amount of interest subvention which is provided to farmers under the short-term crop loan scheme through Kisan Credit Card (KCC).
- Pending claims for the 2021-22 FY can be submitted by June 30, 2023, by the statutory auditor's certification.
- The government offers interest subvention of 2% annually to banks on short-term crop loans up to Rs 3 lakh to farmers at an interest rate of 7%p.a.
7. Tata Power & Naredco sign MoU to set up 5000 EV charging points in Mumbai
- Tata Power Limited has signed a pact with the National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO), Maharashtra to install up to 5,000 EV charging points across the properties of NAREDCO's members.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Aaditya Thackeray (Minister of Tourism & Environment, Government of Maharashtra).
- This move will give a boost to EV adoption in the State.
- Tata Power CEO& MD: Praveer Sinha
8. IndiGo becomes first airline to use indigenous navigation system GAGAN
- IndiGo has become the first airline in Asia to use the indigenous navigation system GPS-aided geo-augmented navigation (GAGAN) to land its aircraft.
- The flight was conducted using an ATR-72 aircraft and landed at the Kishangarh airport, Rajasthan.
- The system has been developed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) and the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- India becomes the third country in the world to have its own SBAS system after the USA and Japan.
9. Anurag Thakur inaugurates 2nd Khelo Masters Games Delhi-2022
- Anurag Singh Thakur (Youth Affairs and Sports Minister) has inaugurated the 2nd Khelo Masters Games Delhi-2022 at Tyagraj Stadium in New Delhi.
- This game will motivate youth and adults to participate in games and promote games in the country.
- Under this game, 3000 master players of the age group between 30 to 95 years from all over the country are participating in eight games.
- Khelo India Youth Games 2021: Haryana
- Khelo India University Games 2021: Bengaluru
10. PV Sindhu wins bronze at Badminton Asia Championships
- P.V. Sindhu has won her second Asian bronze medal, she was defeated by Akane Yamaguchi of Japan in the semifinal in Manila.
- She had won her first bronze in the Asia Badminton Championships 2014 Gimcheon edition.
- Sindhu has assured a medal in the championship when she defeated He Big Jiao of China by 21-9,13-21 and 21-19 in the quarterfinal.
- She has won silver in 2016 Rio de Janeiro, and bronze in 2020 Tokyo.
Honours & Awards
11. Snow leopard expert Charudutt Mishra received Whitley Award
- Eminent snow leopard expert and wildlife conservationist Charudutt Mishra has won the prestigious Whitley Gold Award for the second time. He received his first Whitley Gold Award in 2005.
- He has received this award for his contribution to involving indigenous communities in the conservation and recovery of big cat species in Asia’s high mountain ecosystems.
- Princess Anne has presented the award to Mishra at London’s Royal Geographic Society.
Banking & Finance
12. ICICI Bank launches India's 'open-for-all' digital ecosystem for MSMEs
- ICICI Bank has launched India’s first comprehensive digital ecosystem for all Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the country, which can also be used by the customers of other banks.
- Anyone can use the benefits of digital solutions on the InstaBIZ app.
- MSMEs customers of other banks can avail of a host of services by logging in as a ‘Guest’ in the app.
- It provides sanctions of instant and paperless overdraft facility up to Rs 25 lakh through ‘InstaOD Plus’.