National & International Appointments
1. N S Rajan elected as chairman of Advertising Standards Council of India
- N S Rajan (Director of August One Partners LLP) has been unanimously elected as the chairman of the Board of Governors of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI).
- He has replaced Subhash Kamath.
- While, Saugata Gupta (Managing Director & CEO, Marico Limited) was elected Vice-Chairman of ASCI.
- Shashidhar Sinha (CEO at IPG Mediabrands India) was appointed as the Honorary Treasurer of ASCI.
- ASCI headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1985
2. Telangana govt introduces 'Aasara' pension for poor
- The Telangana government has launched a welfare scheme named ‘Asara’ pension.
- Aim: To ensure secured life for all the poor
- Beneficiary: old people, widows, physically disabled and beedi workers.
- The state government has also distributed the card for the welfare of all.
- Presently, the state government has sanctioned 10,000 new Aasara pensions under Asif Nagar Mandal jurisdiction.
- Telangana Capital: Hyderabad; Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan; CM: K. Chandrashekar Rao
Banking & Finance
3. GST collects Rs 1.47 lakh crore in September, rise up by 26%
- The gross GST revenue collected in the month of September 2022 is Rs 1,47,686 crore.
- Central GST: Rs 25,271 crore
- State GST: Rs 31,813 crore
- Integrated GST: Rs 80,464 crore (including Rs 41,215 crore collected on import of goods) and Cess is Rs 10,137 crore (including Rs 856 crore collected on import of goods)
- The GST revenues for September 2022 are 26% higher than revenue in same month last year.
- GST mop-up has been over ₹ 1.40 lakh crore for seven months in a row.
4. Airtel, Nokia partner to bring holographic technology
- Airtel and Nokia have joined hands to bring India’s first 5G enabled immersive experience to visitors at the Indian Mobile Congress (IMC) 2022.
- This will boost the tourism industry.
- Both will bring life to the cultural splendour of Kashi Vishwanath temple and the Statue of Unity through Holographic images.
- They will bring life to the architecture and design of these iconic monuments replicating the physical experience.
5. Andhra Pradesh government launched portal for marriage schemes
- Andhra Praesh CM, YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched the website of YSR Kalyanamasthu and Shadi Tofa schemes.
- Aim: Providing financial assistance for daughter's wedding in poor families.
- Eligibility: SSC pass a mandatory clause for both bride and groom to get the assistance under this scheme.
- This will encourage parents to see that their children complete at least high school studies
- The scheme would also prevent the child marriages and promote girl education.
Honours & Awards
6. 'Tagore & Gandhi' wins 2022 Valley of Words Book Awards
- Tagore & Gandhi: Walking Alone, Walking Together has won the best books of the year at the 2022 ‘Valley of Words Book Awards’.
- The book has been written by Rudrangshu Mukherjee.
- Anees Salim's The Odd Book of Baby Names and Neelakshi Singh's 'Khela' were adjudged the best in English and Hindi, respectively, in the fiction category.
- The PFC-VoW Book Awards is considered one of the most comprehensive independent literary award programmes in India.
7. IAF retires MiG-21 ‘Swordarm’ Squadron
- Indian Air Force has decommissioned 51 Squadron, known as ‘Swordarms’.
- It was raised at Chandigarh on February 1, 1985 under the command of Wg Cdr VK Chawla.
- The Squadron moved to its present location at Srinagar on May 1, 1986.
- The Squadron operation has been stopped from 30 June 2022.
- Now, IAF has three only MiG squadrons remaining now.
- This aircraft was flown by Wing Commander, Abhinandan Varthaman had shot down a Pakistan Air Force’s F-16.
8. PM lays foundation stone of various projects in Ambaji, Gujarat
- PM Modi has launched various projects worth more than 6,900 crore rupees at Ambaji, Gujarat.
- Taranga Hill-Ambaji-Abu Rail line: It will boost tourism activities and benefit the marble industries of the region.
- The PM has also laid the foundation stone for more than 60 thousand houses under various housing scheme and new Ambaji Bypass Road.
- PM also launched the CM Gau Vansh Poshan Yojana and inaugurated the Mitha-Tharad-Deesa-Lakhni road.
9. International Day of Older Persons: 1st October
- The International Day of Older Persons has been observed annually on October 1 with an aim to honour the contribution of older persons and looking into the problems that they face.
- The day was introduced by the United Nations General Assembly.
- Theme 2022: Resilience of Older Persons in a Changing World
- The UNGA has passed a resolution the International Day of Older Persons (resolution 45/106) to designate October 1 as International Day of Older Persons day.
10. World’s largest safari park to be developed in Gurugram
- World’s largest jungle safari park to be developed in Gurugram, Haryana.
- It is spread across an area of 10000 acres in the Aravalli Mountain Range of Gurugram and Nuh District.
- Aim: To boost tourism and provide employment opportunities to local residents
- At present, Sharjah is home to the largest curated safari park outside Africa, was opened in February 2022.
- The Sharjah Safari covers an area of about 2,000 acres.