Honours & Awards
1. Malayalam writer, A Sethumadhavan selected for 2022 Ezhuthachan Puraskaram
- Noted Malayalam novelist and short story writer, A Sethumadhavan has been selected for 2022 Ezhuthachan Puraskaram.
- Reason: For his valuable contribution to Malayalam language and literature.
- He has also served as the chairman of South Indian Bank, director of State Bank of Travancore and chairman of National Book Trust.
- Ezhuthachan Puraskaram is the highest literary award of Kerala government.
- The award carries a cash award of Rs 5 lakh and a citation.
Honours & Awards
2. Tata Steel's Jamshedpur plant achieve ResponsibleSteel certification
- Tata Steel has received India’s first ResponsibleSteel certification for three facilities in Jamshedpur steel plant.
- Three production facilities: Steel Works, Tubes Division and Cold Rolling Mill (Bara)
- ResponsibleSteel is the first global multi-stakeholder standard and certification initiative of steel industry.
- Aim: To address challenges including climate change, diversity, human rights and more.
- Tata Steel has been a member of ResponsibleSteel since October 2020.
3. PM Modi inaugurated 3,024 newly constructed flats for EWS
- PM Modi has inaugurated 3,024 newly constructed EWS flats at Kalkaji in Delhi under Phase I of ‘In-Situ Slum Rehabilitation’ Project.
- He has also handed over keys to eligible beneficiaries at Bhoomiheen Camp, Vigyan Bhawan.
- These flats have been constructed at a cost of about Rs 345 crore.
- Objective of the rehabilitation project is to provide a better and healthy living environment to the residents of the Jhuggi Jhopri clusters, with proper amenities and facilities.
Banking & Finance
4. GST revenues cross ₹1.51 lakh crore in October
- The gross GST revenues of India has touched the mark of ₹1,51,718 crore in October 2022.
- Central GST (CGST) revenues for the month were ₹26,039 crore.
- State GST (SGST) was ₹33,396 crore and IGST revenues were ₹81,778 crore (including Rs 37,297 crore collected on import of goods).
- This mark the second highest monthly collections since the launch of the indirect tax regime.
- The highest GST collections in a month were recorded in April 2022, at ₹1,67,540 crore.
5. India's first hyperscale data centre inaugurated in Greater Noida
- Uttar Pradesh CM, Yogi Adityanath has inaugurated North India's first hyper-scale data centre Yotta Yotta D1 in Greater Noida.
- It was built at the cost of Rs 5,000 crore and spread over an area of 3,00,000 square feet.
- Hiranandani Group firm Yotta Infrastructure has also signed MoU with Uttar Pradesh to invest Rs 39,000 crore in over the next 5-7 years.
- Corporates like Adani, WebWerks, Sify, STT and NTT have also submitted their investment proposals.
Banking & Finance
6. HDFC ERGO launches Farm Yield Insurance Policy
- HDFC ERGO has launched a technology backed farm yield insurance policy for farmers.
- In this policy, a satellite-based index will be used to provide localized farm level coverage.
- It will provide comprehensive cover across the crop life cycle from sowing to harvesting, basis satellite-based data.
- The product is targeted at farmers under corporate/farm input company (FIC) contracts.
- It is valid for food, oilseed, commercial or horticulture crops.
7. Bengaluru's Namma Metro Rail launches QR ticketing service on WhatsApp
- Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) has partnered with the WhatsApp to launch Namma Metro's WhatsApp chatbot-based QR ticketing service.
- The chatbot is integrated with Unified Payments Interface (UPI) powered payments on WhatsApp.
- It will allow 'Namma Metro' commuters to purchase tickets and recharge their travel pass right within WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp chatbot is available in English and Kannada for all commuters of 'Namma Metro'.
8. Centre restricts use of common weedicide glyphosate
- The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has issued a notification to restrict the use of glyphosate.
- Reason: Health hazards for humans and animals.
- Only authorised Pest Control Operators are allowed to use it.
- The notification was based on a 2019 report by the Government of Kerala on prohibiting the distribution, sale and use of glyphosate and its derivatives.
- Some 35 countries including Sri Lanka and France have banned or restricted the use of glyphosate
Summits & Conferences
9. PM Modi inaugurated Global Investors Meet ‘Invest Karnataka 2022’
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has addressed the inaugural function of Invest Karnataka, the Global Investors Meet via video conferencing.
- Aim: To attract prospective investors and setting up development agenda for the next decade.
- The country sessions would each be hosted by the partner countries - France, Germany, Netherlands, South Korea, Japan, and Australia.
- The meet will be attended by the top industry leaders including Kumar Mangalam Birla, Vikram Kirloskar.
10. Ranipur tiger reserve becomes 53rd tiger reserve of India
- Ranipur Tiger Reserve of Uttar Pradesh has become the 53rd tiger reserve of India.
- The tiger reserve is spread across over 529.36 sq km, of which the core area is 230.32 sq km and buffer area is 299.05 sq km.
- It is also the fourth tiger reserve in UP.
- Other three tiger reserves of state: Dudhwa, Pilibhit and Amangarh.
- Amangarh is a buffer zone of the Jim Corbett National Park and is located in Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnor.
- While Dudhwa Tiger Reserve is located in Lakhimpur.
Honours & Awards
11. Edward M Kennedy posthumously honoured with 'Friends of Liberation War’
- Bangladesh PM, Sheikh Hasina has conferred the prestigious ‘Friends of Liberation War’ honour on former US Senator Edward M Kennedy posthumously.
- Reason: For his contribution to the liberation of Bangladesh.
- The honour was handed over to his son Edward M Ted Kennedy Junior.
- Edward Kennedy Senior took stand against the genocide committed by Pakistan on innocent Bengali people despite the US government’s role during the 1971 liberation war.
12. Arunachal Pradesh to get Northeast’s first fish museum
- Fisheries Minister Tage Taki has announced that Arunachal Pradesh will soon get a fish museum, the first of its kind in the Northeast.
- The museum would be a part of the Integrated Aqua Park (IAP), sanctioned by the Union Ministry of Fisheries.
- The existing Tarin Fish Farm, located at high-altitude Bulla village, would be upgraded as the IAP.
- PM Modi had announced one IAP for each state and UT under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampad Yojana for bringing blue revolution.
Science & Technology
13. China launches 2nd lab module Mengtian for its space station
- China has successfully launched a second lab module, Mengtian, by using a Long March-5B Y4 rocket (one of China's biggest rockets).
- It was launched from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site on the coast of the southern island province of Hainan.
- Scientific equipment will be used for studying microgravity and carrying out experiments in fluid physics, materials science, combustion science, and fundamental physics