Science & Technology
1. Jitendra Singh launched India’s First Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scanner
- Union Minister of State Science & Technology Jitendra Singh launched India’s first Indigenously developed, Affordable Next Generation Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Scanner in New Delhi.
- MRI is a type of scan that uses strong magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of the inside of the body.
- It is an achievement for the National Biopharma Mission, Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council, and the Department of Biotechnology.
2. Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has launched the NAPDDR
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has launched the National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction.
- Objective: To reach out to the masses and spread awareness about substance use with a focus on higher educational Institutions, university campuses & schools, reaching out & identifying dependent populations, focusing on counseling & treatment facilities in hospitals, and Capacity building programs for service providers.
National & International Appointments
3. Brics' New Development Bank elected Thuraiya Alhashmi as a board member
- Thuraiya Hamid Alhashmi, Director of International Financial Relations and Organisations Department at the UAE Ministry of Finance, has been elected as a member of the Board of Directors and a Constituency Director at BRICS' New Development Bank.
- With her appointment at the multilateral bank, She become the first Emirati and Arab woman to assume a Director’s position
- She will contribute to the UAE's financial interests on a global scale and in various financial sectors.
Banking & Finance
4. Karnataka Bank hosted the first edition of ‘KBL - FinOne’
- Karnataka Bank hosted the first edition of ‘KBL - FinOne’, a fintech partnership event, in Bengaluru in July
- Objective: To develop innovative business models, provide a seamless banking experience and offer a complete product suite.
- The first edition of ‘KBL - FinOne’ featured over 30 speakers from various fintech, delving into some of the interesting and relevant topics such as emerging lending models, neo-banks.
Books & Authors
5. Indian-origin author Chetna Maroo’s debut novel on Booker Prize longlist
- Chetna Maroo, an Indian-origin author based in London, has been selected for the 2023 Booker Prize longlist with her debut novel 'Western Lane.'
- The novel, set in the British Gujarati milieu, skillfully uses the sport of squash as a metaphor for intricate human emotions, earning praise from the Booker judges.
- The longlist comprises 13 books written by authors from various countries, including Ireland, Canada, the US, and the UK, explore universal and topical themes
6. NHPC and ALIMCO sign MoU for providing aids and assistive devices
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation Limited and Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) have signed a MoU in the presence of Shri Uttam Lal, Director (Personnel), NHPC at NHPC Headquarters in Faridabad.
- Objective: To provide CSR support for distribution of aids and assistive devices to around 1,000 Divyangjans (Persons with Disabilities) in the vicinity of NHPC Projects located in North and North Eastern states.
7. China, UAE air forces to conduct first joint training FALCON Shield-2023
- Ministry of National Defense announced the air forces of China and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will conduct a joint training exercise in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region
- According to the ministry, the exercise, Falcon Shield-2023, will be the first joint training between the two nation's air forces.
- Aims: To deepen pragmatic exchanges and cooperation between the two militaries and enhance mutual understanding and trust, the ministry added.
8. Ministry of Social Justice implements "Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing the scheme of “Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana” in August 2023.
- Objective: To provide the senior citizens, suffering from any of the age related disability/infirmity, with assisted living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions,
- Scheme: In the assessment camp, the ALIMCO identifies the beneficiaries, suffering from the age related disability, for required aids & appliances.
9. 12 countries responsible for 52% of the world’s mismanaged plastic waste
- According to Swiss-based research consultancy Earth Action Earth saw its first Plastic Overshoot Day which means the point at which the amount of plastics exceeds the global waste management capacity.
- India is among the 12 countries which are responsible for 52% of the world’s mismanaged plastic waste.
- When it comes to plastic consumption on a per-person basis, the world’s worst offender is Iceland
- The global average consumption of plastic per person per year is 20.9 kg
Banking & Finance
10. GST collection rises 11% to Rs 1.65 lakh crore in July
- According to the finance ministry, the gross Goods and Services Tax (GST) revenues for the month of July 2023 are 11% higher than the GST revenues in the July 2022.
- It is for the fifth time since the rollout of the regime that the gross GST collection crossed the Rs 1.65 lakh crore mark.
- The total revenue of Centre and the States in the month of July 2023 after regular settlement was Rs 69,558 crore for CGST and Rs 70,811 crore for the SGST.
Honours & Awards
11. Deepak Shenoy honored with Global Visionary Entrepreneur Award
- Medec Dragon Pvt Ltd received the prestigious "Best Managed Pharmaceutical Sustainable Organizations 2023" award, while Deepak Shenoy, Managing Director of Medec Dragon was honored as the "Global Visionary Entrepreneur of the year 2023" at the 6th Edition of South Asia Pacific Healthcare Summit & Business Award 2023.
- The event was organized by Brandscouncil Ratings & Medilinks in Mumbai.
- The awards were presented by India's first Mrs. World, Aditi Govitrikar.
12. Diego Godin announced retirement from football
- Former Uruguay captain Diego Godin announced his retirement from professional football after a remarkable career spanning two decades. ( In July 2023)
- He made 627 professional appearances, scored 38 goals, and earned 10 titles, including two Europa League trophies and three UEFA Super Cups, all during his captaincy at Atletico Madrid
- He participated in four World Cups and spent a significant part of his club career in Spain.
13. Bhutan's success in increasing its tiger population
- Bhutan's Tiger population has increased by 27 percent since its last count in 2015.
- The latest survey estimates there now 131 tigers in the country.
- It reflected the success of Tiger conservation efforts in the South Asian Himalayan landlocked nation situated between China and India.
- It was in 2010 that Bhutan continued its commitment to protecting its wildlife when the country joined the global effort to double the number of tigers in the wild by 2022.