1. Judoka, Shushila Devi clinches Silver medal in the Commonwealth Games 2022
- Shushila Devi has clinched silver in women's judo 48kg category at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- This is her second silver medal in CWG, she bagged her first silver in Commonwealth Games 2014 .
- While, Vijay Kumar Yadav has also bagged bronze medal in the judo men's- 60kg category in CWG 2022.
- In Weightlifting, Harjinder Kaur won the bronze medal in the women’s 71kg category (logged 212kg (snatch - 93kg; clean and jerk - 119kg)).
2. Government forms task force to monitor monkeypox situation in India
- The government has constituted a task force on monkeypox to closely monitor the emerging situation in the country.
- The task force will provide guidance to the government on expansion of diagnostic facilities in the country and explore emerging trends related to vaccination for the disease.
- The task force will be headed by Dr V K Paul, NITI Aayog member (health).
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) has recently declared monkeypox a global public health emergency.
3. IAF to participate in multilateral exercise, ‘Pitch Black’ in Australia
- India will take part in the exercise named "Pitch Black, that has been organised by Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Australia.
- This mega air exercise is scheduled to be held from August 19 to September 6.
- Participants (17 countries): Australia, Canada, India, France, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the Philippines, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Thailand, the UAE, the UK and the US.
4. World Breastfeeding Week 2022: 1-7 August
- World Breastfeeding Week is observed annually on 1st -7th August to highlight the regular breastfeeding for babies.
- Theme 2022: Step Up for Breastfeeding: Educate and Support.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has created a memorandum in 1990 in association with United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF).
- The World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) was established in 1991 and the inaugural World Breastfeeding Week was observed in 1992.
Banking & Finance
5. IndusInd Bank partners Rupyy to offer loans for used-cars
- IndusInd Bank has entered into a strategic partnership with Rupyy for offering 100% paperless loan processing.
- Rupyy, digital lending platform, is a fintech arm of the Jaipur based, Girnarsoft Pvt Ltd (which houses brands like CarDekho, BikeDekho, Zigwheels, etc).
- This partnership will simplified documentation and instant processing of vehicle loans from IndusInd Bank.
- IndusInd Bank customers can now opt for flexible repayment options while transacting on 'Rupyy'.
6. Ministry of Culture celebrates 146th birth anniversary of Pingali Venkayya
- Ministry of Culture has organized “Tiranga Utsav”, to celebrate the 146th Birth Anniversary of Pingali Venkayya in New Delhi.
- The event include the release of a commemorative Postal Stamp in honor of Pingali Venkayya for his invaluable contribution to the country.
- Pingali Venkayya:
- He was born on August 2, 1876, in Andhra Pradesh.
- He was a freedom fighter and follower of Gandhian principles.
- He was the designer of India’s National Flag.
7. West Bengal to carve out seven new districts, number rises to 30
- West Bengal CM, Mamata Banerjee has announced that the state will soon carve out seven new districts.
- Earlier there were 23 districts in Bengal, after this, West Bengal will have 30 district.
- Seven new districts: Sunderban, Ichhemati, Ranaghat, Bishnupur, Jangipur, and Behrampur.
- One more district will be named from the Basirhat region.
- Aim: Smaller units would make governance easier and benefit the people by bringing the administration closer to them.
Honours & Awards
8. VP Venkaiah Naidu presents President’s Colours to Tamil Nadu police
- Vice President, M Venkaiah Naidu has presented the prestigious President’s Colours to the Tamil Nadu police for their commendable service and many achievements.
- The President’s Colours is a recognition of services rendered by police personnel during the past 160 years.
- The Police Department was established in 1856 in Chennai, then known as Madras and in 1859 a police Act for the city was enacted.
- DG of Tamil Nadu Police: C. Sylendra Babu
9. Founder of Kannada daily 'Udayavani', T Mohandas Pai passes away
- Founder of Udayavani', a popular Kannada daily, T Mohandas M Pai has passed away at 89 years in Udupi after ailing from a chronic illness.
- He was also the president of the Dr T M A Pai Foundation and Manipal Media Network, which runs ‘Udayavani’.
- He also served as the chairman and non-executive director at ICDS limited.
- He set up three centres - the Rashtrakavi Govindapai Research Centre, the Regional Resources Centre for Folk Performing Arts and MGM Yakshagana Kendra.
10. Steel ministry sets up advisory committee for secondary steel sector
- Steel Ministry has constituted an advisory committee for secondary steel under the chairmanship of minister of civil aviation and steel Jyotiraditya Scindia.
- Aim: To identify and deliberate on the issues pertaining to the steel sector especially the secondary steel industry.
- Secondary steel share in steel output of nation has been falling sharply from a level of 55% (2015) to 40% (now).
- The secondary steel sector wants higher allocation of coal from Coal India.
Banking & Finance
11. UPI records 6 billion transactions in July 2022
- Unified Payments Interface (UPI) transaction has reached 6 billion in July 2022, the highest ever since its inception in 2016.
- According to data released by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the UPI has reported 6.28 billion transactions amounting to Rs 10.62 trillion.
- Month-on-month, the volume of transactions was up 7.16% and value increased 4.76%.
- Year-on-year (YoY), the volume of transactions nearly doubled while value of transactions was up 75%.
12. IISc, Indian navy sign pact to boost self reliance in key tech
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and the Indian navy have signed an MoU to collaborate on aviation research and development.
- The agreement would also aid navy to ramp up self-reliance efforts and also promote joint research programmes in areas of mutual interest.
- The areas of collaboration will fall under the domain of aerospace/aeronautical engineering, including design and education technology.
13. Tata Steel roll out 'First in India' seating system for Vande Bharat Expres
- Tata Group will launch the 'First in India' seating system for Vande Bharat Express trains from September 2022.
- The firm is also planning to invest Rs 3,000 crore on R&D by FY26.
- The Composites division of Tata Steel has received, a Rs 145 crore, bulk order for seating systems of the Vande Bharat express.
- It includes the supply of complete seating systems for 22 train sets, 16 coaches in each train set.
- The specially designed seats can rotate 180 degrees.