Honours & Awards
1. 'Triangle of Sadness' wins the Palme d’Or at 75th Cannes Film Festival
- 'Triangle of Sadness' directed by Ruben Ostlund has won the Palme d’Or at the 75th Cannes Film Festival for the second time.
- Earlier, he had received the cinema’s most prestigious prizes for his movie 'The Square' in 2017.
- Indian filmmaker Shaunak Sen has won the 'L'Oeil d'Or' award for his documentary 'All That Breathes'.
- "A Night of Knowing Nothing" directed by Payal Kapadia has won the L'Oeil d'Or in 2021.
- Best actor: Song Kang Ho
- Best actress: Zar Amir Ebrahimi
2. INS Gomati decommissioned at Naval Dockyard after 34 years
- Indian Navy has decommissioned the third ship of the Godavari class guided-missile frigates, INS Gomati at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai.
- INS Gomati was commissioned on 16 April 1988 by the then Defence Minister, KC Pant, at Mazgaon Dock Ltd, Bombay.
- During its 34 years of service, the ship participated in Operations Cactus, Parakram and Rainbow, and multinational naval exercises.
- The ship was awarded the coveted Unit Citation in 2007-08 and 2019-20.
3. US becomes India's biggest trading partner in FY22
- The US has replaced China to become the India's top trading partner in 2021-22, this is reflecting strong economic ties between the two countries.
- The bilateral trade between two countries stood at $119.42 billion (2021-22) as against $80.51 billion in 2020-21, according to the data of the commerce ministry.
- Other top trading partner: China ($115.42 billion), The UAE ($72.9 billion), Saudi Arabia ($42,85 billion), Iraq ($34.33 billion) and Singapore ($30 billion).
4. Jitendra Singh inaugurates India’s first ‘Lavender Festival’ in Bhaderwah
- Dr. Jitendra Singh (Union Minister) has inaugurated the nation's first Lavender Festival in Jammu’s district Bhaderwah.
- Lavender cultivation has changed the destiny of farmers in Jammu and Kashmir under the government initiative of ‘Aroma Mission or Purple Revolution'.
- Bhaderwah is in Doda district, is the best place for lavender cultivation in terms of land and climate.
- Aroma Mission: To encourage the cultivation of aromatic crops for the production of essential oils
National & International Appointments
5. Olympic medalist, Lovlina Borgohain elected as IBA Athletes Committee Chair
- Olympics bronze medallist, Lovlina Borgohain has been elected as the voting member and chair on the Board of Directors for the Athletes’ Committee, the International Boxing Association (IBA).
- She has received the highest number of votes at the 2022 Women’s World Championships election.
- Shiva Thapa was elected by the boxers that participated during the men's world championships that was held in October 2021.
- IBA Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
6. Delhi Customs launches Project ‘NIGAH’ in Gurugram
- Surjit Bhujabal (Chief Commissioner of Delhi Customs Zone) has inaugurated project ‘NIGAH’ at ICD Garhi Harsaru, Gurugram with an aim to track container by using ICTM (ICD Container Tracking Module).
- This initiative will help in better visibility of the container movement inside the ICD and also help Customs to speed up the long standing containers and monitor timely clearances.
- ICTM was developed in collaboration with the Custodian M/s. GRFL.
Banking & Finance
7. India’s GDP growth likely to be 8.2-8.5 per cent in FY22: SBI report
- According to the State Bank of India’s research report Ecowrap, the growth rate of India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is expected to be in the range of 8.2 to 8.5% in the FY22.
- In the report, the projected growth for the Q4 FY22 at 2.7%.
- Early trend of Q4FY22 results for corporates, in the listed space, Sectors like IT-software, auto ancillary, steel, FMCG, chemicals, and paper has better growth numbers in report.
- SBI Bank Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara
8. International Day of UN Peacekeepers: 29 May
- The International Day of UN Peacekeepers is observed annually on May 29 to pay tribute to the contributions of uniformed and civilian personnel to the organisation’s work.
- Theme 2022: People Peace Progress: The Power of Partnerships
- The UN Peacekeepers are also known as the Blue Helmets.
- Captain Abdelrazakh Hamit Bahar of Chad has received posthumously the highest award in UN peacekeeping, the ‘Captain Mbaye Diagne Medal for Exceptional Courage’.
9. India, UAE sign MoU to enhance bilateral cooperation on climate action
- India has signed an MoU with United Arab Emirates to establish a framework to facilitate and enhance bilateral cooperation on climate action.
- Objective: To contributes towards implementing the Paris Agreement 2015.
- United Arab Emirates will host COP28 in 2023.
- Paris Agreement 2015:
- Aims to reduce carbon emissions to restrict global temperature rise to preferably 1.5 degrees Celsius as compared to the pre-industrial area.
10. Kolkata becomes first major metro to received its biodiversity register
- Kolkata has become the first major metropolitan city in India to make a detailed biodiversity register.
- The 520-page long document listed 399 species of plants which include 138 trees, 126 Chinese vegetables, 33 medicinal plants and nearly 100 other plants.
- The report also listed around 290 animal species, including about 70 species of butterflies, 47 (fish), 84 (birds) and 22 (mammals).
- West Bengal Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar; Chief minister: Mamata Banerjee