National & International Appointments
1. Praveen Kumar Srivastava appointed as acting Central Vigilance Commissioner
- Government of India has appointed Vigilance Commissioner, Praveen Kumar Srivastava as the acting Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC).
- He has replaced Suresh N Patel, who completed his term as the chief of CVC on December 24, 2022.
- Srivastava is a 1988-batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre.
- He was retired as Secretary (Coordination), Cabinet Secretariat on January 31, 2022.
- The tenure of a CVC is of four years or till the incumbent attains the age of 65 years.
2. IndianOil embarks on TB Elimination Project in UP and Chhattisgarh
- IndianOil has signed an MoU with the Central TB Division (Ministry of Health and Family Welfare), Uttar Pradesh, and Chhattisgarh to undertake intensified TB elimination project.
- Aim: To end TB in India by 2025, five years ahead of SDG
- It also aims to provide sustainable and equitable access to free TB treatment, and support services to the citizens of UP and Chhattisgarh.
- IndianOil will also introduce Mobile Medical Vans equipped with modern diagnostic technology.
National & International Organizations
3. ADB ranks WAPCOS amongst Top Consulting Services Firm
- According to the report on Annual Procurement, released by the Asian Development Bank, WAPCOS (under the Ministry of Jal Shakti) has been ranked as top amongst Consulting Services Firm in Water and other Infrastructure Sectors.
- WAPCOS is the only Indian Public Sector featuring in the above categories.
- It is a leading technology driven Consultancy and Engineering, Procurement and Construction firm in the fields of Water Resources, Power and Infrastructure Development.
4. Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina inaugurates first Metro rail in Dhaka
- Bangladesh PM, Sheikh Hasina has flagged off the first metro rail in Dhaka for its first journey between Diabari and Agargaon station.
- This is part of the ambitious Bangladesh project of Mass Rapid Transit to be completed by 2030, that will cover a total length of 129 kilometres out of which 61 kilometres will be underground.
- The rail service was built with financial and technical support from Japan.
- The event was attended by Kiminori Iwama (Japanese Ambassador).
5. Telangana govt launches 10th phase of Rythu Bandhu
- Telangana government has launched the 10th phase of Rythu Bandhu, the investment support scheme for farmers.
- Under this phase, 7,676 crores rupees will be deposited in the bank accounts of over 70 lakh 54 thousand farmers towards investment support for the Rabi crop season.
- Rythu Bandhu scheme:
- It is a cash transfer programme.
- It provides investment support for agriculture and horticulture crops by way of a grant of Rs 5,000 per acre to farmers each season.
6. World-class Kayaking-Canoeing Academy to be set up in Uttarakhand
- Union Minister of Power, RK Singh has inaugurated the National Championship "Tehri Water Sports Cup" at Tehri Lake, Uttarakhand.
- During the event, he has also announced that world-class Kayaking-Canoeing Academy will be set up at Tehri in Uttarakhand.
- This is the first time that the national-level sports competition is being organized at Tehri Lake.
- CM, Pushkar Singh Dhami has also informed that the new sports policy has been implemented in the State.
7. Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw launches ‘Stay Safe Online’ Campaign
- Minister of Meity, Ashwini Vaishnaw has launched the "Stay Safe Online" campaign and "G20 Digital Innovation Alliance" (G20-DIA)
- Aim of 'Stay Safe Online': To raise awareness about the online world due to the widespread use of social media and rapid adoption of digital payments
- Aim of G20-DIA: To identify, recognize, and enable the adoption of innovative and impactful digital technologies developed by startups
- Nodal Ministry for G20 Digital Economy Working Group: MeitY
8. Road accidents decreased by 8.1% in 2021
- According to the report, released by the Road Transport and Highways Ministry, the road accidents in India have been decreased by 8.1% in 2021 as compared to 2019.
- Report title: Road accidents in India -- 2021
- The injuries due to road accidents have also decreased by 14.8%.
- But the fatalities on account of road accidents have increased by 1.9% in 2021
- The MoRTH has also implemented a scheme Grant of Financial Assistance for Administering Road Safely Advocacy and Awards
9. DGCA accords Marut Drones with DGCA Type Certification & Approval
- The Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has accorded the Marut Drones with the DGCA Type Certification and Approval.
- Marut Drones product, 'AG 365 Agricopter’ is India’s first Multi-utility Agriculture Medium Category Drone to receive the prestigious certificate.
- It is extensively tested in Agriculture in collaboration with agriculture universities and research institutes.
- It is designed and developed for Indian conditions and can be used for multiple purposes.
10. Sanskrit scholar, Sribhashyam Vijayasarathi passes away
- Veteran Sanskrit scholar, Sribhashyam Vijayasarathi, who is known for his poetry, has been passed away at the age of 86 in Telangana.
- In 2020, he was honoured with the Padma Shri for his excellent work in the field of Literature and Education.
- He was also the founder of Sri Yagna Varaha Swamy Kshetram (temple complex).
- He has written 100 books in Sanskrit and Telugu.
- He also introduced Seesam, a Telugu poetic form, in the Sanskrit language.
11. Tamil Nadu government sets up Nilgiri Tahr conservation project
- The Tamil Nadu government has launched an initiative for the conservation of the Nilgiri Tahr (State animal) at a cost of ₹25.14 crore.
- Aim: To develop a better understanding of the Nilgiri Tahr population through surveys and radio telemetry studies; reintroduce the Tahrs to their historical habitat
- The project is to be implemented from 2022 to 2027.
- Nilgiris Tahr (Nilgiritragus hylocrius), endemic to the Western ghats and locally known as ‘Varaiaadu’.
Honours & Awards
12. Chhattisgarh police ‘Nijaat’ campaign received IACP 2022 Award
- The anti-drug & illicit liquor campaign of Chhattisgarh police named ‘Nijaat’ has been selected for the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) 2022 award under the 'Leadership in Crime Prevention' in the institutional category.
- This campaign was launched under the leadership of the IPS officer Santosh Kumar Singh.
- Under this campaign, strict action taken against illegal drug dealers, intensive public awareness and rehabilitation of the addicts.
Banking & Finance
13. Banks' balance sheet grows in double digits after 7 years: RBI report
- According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) annual report on trend and progress of banking in India, the health of Indian banks continued to improve in 2021–2022 with their balance sheet rising at double digits after a gap of seven years.
- PSBs account for 62% of the deposits of scheduled commercial banks, while on loans, they corner 58% market share.
- Credit growth of banks was at a 10-year high at the end September 2022.