National & International Appointments
1. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman named prime minister of Saudi Arabia
- Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been appointed the prime minister of Saudi Arabia by the King Salman bin Abdulaziz.
- He is already de facto ruler of the Saudi Arabia.
- Previously, he has served as the deputy prime minister as well as defence minister.
- He is being replaced as defence minister by his younger brother, Khalid bin Salman, who was deputy defence minister.
- Saudi Arabia's Capital: Riyadh; Currency: Saudi riyal
2. Government launched Jaldoot app for groundwater tables
- Faggan Singh Kulaste (MoS for Rural Development and Steel) has launched the JALDOOT App and e-brochure.
- Developed by: Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj.
- Use: To capture the water level of selected 2-3 wells in a village.
- The manual monitoring of water levels in open wells will be measured twice in a year (pre-monsoon and post-monsoon level for the same well).
- Assigned officers will measure the water levels and upload the geo-tagged photographs.
3. DRDO successful tests of Very Short Range Air Defence System Missiles
- DRDO has conducted successful test flights of Very Short Range Air Defence System (VSHORADS) missiles at the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur, Odisha
- It is a Man Portable Air Defence System that is designed and developed by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat, Hyderabad in collaboration with other DRDO facilities
- Use: To neutralize low-altitude aerial threats at short ranges
- The design of the missile including the launcher has been highly optimized to ensure easy portability
Honours & Awards
4. Kumar Sanu, Shailendra Singh, Anand-Milind will get Lata Mangeshkar Award
- Kumar Sanu and Shailendra Singh (Playback singers) and Anand-Milind (music-composer duo) will be conferred with the National Lata Mangeshkar Award for different years.
- The prestigious award will be presented on September 28 (birth anniversary of the late legendary singer) at her birthplace Indore.
- Shailendra Singh will be given the Lata Mangeshkar Award for 2019.
- While Anand-Milind will be conferred with the honour for 2020.
- Kumar Sanu will be given the award for 2021.
Banking & Finance
5. ADB provides $14 billion support for food security in Asia Pacific
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has announced plans to provide at least $14 billion to Asia-Pacific for 2022–2025.
- Reason: To ease a worsening food crisis and improve long-term food security by strengthening food systems due to climate change.
- Use of fund: The funding will be channeled through existing and new projects in sectors including farm inputs, food production and distribution, social protection, irrigation, and water resources management.
National & International Appointments
6. Govt appoints Rajendra Kumar as Director General of ESIC
- IAS officer of TN cadre, 1992-batch, Rajendra Kumar has been appointed the director general of the Employees' State Insurance Corporation (ESIC).
- He is currently an additional secretary in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Other appointments:
- T Natarajan has been appointed as an additional secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs.
- V Hekali Zhimomi has been appointed as additional secretary in the Department of Health and Family Welfare.
Books & Authors
7. English translation of ‘Lata: Sur-Gatha’ to release in January 2023
- The English translation of award-winning book “Lata: Sur-Gatha" will be released in January 2023.
- The book has been translated by noted writer and translator Ira Pande.
- The announcement has been made by Penguin Random House India (PRHI).
- This book was originally written in Hindi by writer-poet, Yatindra Mishra.
- The book has also won the 64th National Film Award and the MAMI Award for Best Writing on Cinema (2016–17).
8. World Rabies Day: 28th September 2022
- World Rabies Day is celebrated each year on September 28 to promote the fight against Rabies and raise awareness of its prevention.
- As per the World Health Organisation, the theme of World Rabies Day 2022 is ‘Rabies: One Health, Zero Deaths.’
- This day was first observed in 2007 to raise awareness about the world’s deadliest infectious disease.
- The campaign was started as a partnership between many organizations including the Alliance for Rabies Control.
Honours & Awards
9. Asha Parekh will be conferred with Dadasaheb Phalke award
- Veteran actor, Asha Parekh (79) will be awarded the highest recognition in the field of Indian cinema, Dada Saheb Phalke award for 2020.
- She will receive the award from President Droupadi Murmu at the 68th National Film Awards on September 30.
- She was conferred the Padma Shri in 1992.
- She also became the first women to head the Central Board of Film Certification from 1998-2001
- The Dadasaheb Phalke Award was instituted in 1969 and it was first presented to Devika Rani.
10. International Day for Universal Access to Information: 28th September 2022
- The International Day for Universal Access to Information (IDUAI) is observed on September 28 every year to raise awareness regarding the need to expand laws related to information.
- Aim: To support the idea that everyone has the right to seek, receive, and distribute information.
- The theme of the Global Conference in 2022 is “Artificial Intelligence, e-Governance and Access to Information"
- On 17 November 2015, UNESCO has declared September 28 is date as IDUAI.
11. Hardeep Singh Puri launched special aviation fuel, AVGAS 100 LL
- In an event, hosted by IndianOil at Hindon Airforce Station, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Housing and Urban, Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri has launched AVGAS 100 LL.
- AVGAS 100 LL: It is a special aviation fuel meant for piston engine aircrafts and unmanned aerial vehicles.
- With this launch, IndianOil has become the first oil marketing company (OMC) to produce and market, AVGAS 100 LL.
- Currently India is importing AVGAS 100 LL from European countries.
12. India and Maldives signed MoU Hanimaadhoo International Airport
- Government of Maldives has signed an MoU with the Indian JMC Projects for Maldives Hanimaadhoo International Airport Development Project.
- The worth of project is about USD $136.6 million.
- It was confirmed that the project will be financed by India's Exim Bank.
- The Maldives govt is expected to build a 2.46 kilometer runway in addition to a terminal that can serve 1.3 million passengers annually.
- The construction work is expected to be fully operational by the year 2024.
13. Eliud Kipchoge breaks own world record in Berlin Marathon
- Eliud Kipchoge (Kenya) has shattered his own world record by lowering the mark to 2:01:09 (new record) to win at the Berlin Marathon.
- His previous best in an official 42.2km race was 2:01:39 set on the same course in 2018.
- He has long been dubbed the world’s best marathon runner.
- He was the first athlete to run a marathon distance in under two hours in Vienna in 2019.
- Tigist Assefa (Ethiopia) has won the women’s race in a course record of 2:15:37.