1. Egypt President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi to be chief guest on 2023 Republic Day
- As per the Ministry of External Affairs, India has invited Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah Al Sisi as the chief guest on 2023 Republic Day.
- It would be the first time that an Egyptian president would be the chief guest at the Republic Day celebrations.
- This year, both countries are celebrating the 75th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations.
- During India’s Presidency of G-20 in 2022-23, Egypt has been invited as a ‘Guest Country’.
Banking & Finance
2. Irdai simplifies rules to set up insurance firms
- IRDAI has approved the amendments to rules on registering insurance companies and investing in them.
- Reason: To enable 'Insurance for All by 2047'.
- Private equity (PE) funds can now directly invest in insurance companies and investment by PE through special purpose vehicles (SPVs) has been made optional.
- Investment up to 25% of the paid up capital by single investor will now be treated as ‘investor” and above 25% single investor will be treated as promoter”.
Banking & Finance
3. SEBI notifies inclusion of MF in insider trading regulations
- SEBI has amended norms to bring buying and selling of mutual fund units under the insider trading rules and became effective from 24th November 2022.
- Any person who is connected with a fund house and comes into possession of unpublished, price-sensitive information shall not be permitted to trade in MF units.
- AMCs will have to disclose the details of holdings in the units of its MF schemes (trustees and their immediate relatives on the platform of stock exchanges).
Banking & Finance
4. Karnataka Bank collaborates with Hyundai Construction Equipment India
- Karnataka Bank and Hyundai Construction Equipment India have signed an agreement to broaden the Bank's MSME funding prospects.
- This MoU will allow both Hyundai and Karnataka Bank to provide consumers with customised financial solutions.
- With this tie up, Bank will be designated as a financial partner and will be able to meet the needs of customers by providing loans at competitive interest rates for purchase of equipments from Hyundai Construction Equipments India.
National & International Appointments
5. Deepa Malik becomes ambassador for TB Mukt Bharat Campaign
- India’s First Woman Paralympic Medalist and President of Paralympic Committee of India, Deepa Malik has been appointed as the national ambassador of TB Mukt Bharat campaign.
- She has also extended her support to the campaign by becoming a Ni-Kshay Mitra to provide aid to TB afflicted patients.
- She has adopted 5 TB patients herself as a Ni-Kshay Mitra.
- The TB Mukt Bharat campaign was launched by Prime Minister, Narendra Modi in March 2018.
- World TB Day: 24 March
6. India's first Buddhist International Varsity in Tripura
- Shakya Gasan (Chief monk of World Buddhist Pope Association of Korea) will lay the foundation stone of International Buddhist University in Manu Bankul of South Tripura on November 29.
- Dhamma Dipa International Buddhist University (DDIBU) will be the first Buddhist University in India.
- This university will be headed by Buddhist Monastics and run and monitored by Buddhists.
- Aim: For promotion and revitalization of Buddhist culture
7. Canada beat Australia to win first 2022 Davis Cup title
- Canada has clinched their first 2022 Davis Cup title defeating Australia by 6-3, 6-4 in Malaga, Spain.
- In final, Felix Auger-Aliassime (Canada) had defeated Alex de Minaur (Australia).
- The Davis Cup is the premier international team event in men's tennis and run by the International Tennis Federation (ITF).
- Most titles: United States (32 titles)
- ITF Headquarters: London, United Kingdom; President: David Haggerty
8. Boxer Vishwanath Suresh wins gold in 2022 World Youth Championship
- Indian boxers, Vishwanath Suresh, Vanshaj and Devika Ghorpade have won gold medals at the IBA Youth Men’s and Women’s World Championships 2022, held in La Nucia, Spain.
- Vishwanath (Chennai) has won the medal after defeating Ronel Suyom (Philippines) in the men’s 48kg final.
- Other winners:
- Devika (Pune)won gold after defeated England’s Lauren Mackie in the women’s 52kg.
- Bhawna Sharma won silver in the women’s 48kg category.
- Ashish (54kg) won silver medal.
Honours & Awards
9. eGramSwaraj and Audit Online win GOLD AWARD for e-Governance
- e-Panchayat Mission Mode Project (eGramSwaraj and AuditOnline) of Ministry of Panchayati Raj has won the GOLD AWARD under the National Awards for e-Governance.
- Category: Excellence in Government Process Re-engineering for Digital Transformation
- It is a recognition of the excellent and exemplary work done by Team eGovernance and supported by Team NIC-MoPR.
- This prestigious Award was handed over to Alok Prem Nagar (Joint Secretary, MoPR) by Union MoS, Dr. Jitendra Singh
Honours & Awards
10. CSMVS, Byculla Railway station win UNESCO award for conservation
- The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (formerly Prince of Wales Museum) in Kala Ghoda has won the highest Award of Excellence at the Unesco Asia Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2022 .
- The Stepwells of Golconda in Hyderabad won the Award of Distinction.
- While Domakonda Fort in Telangana, and Restoration work of 169 years old, Byculla Railway station (Mumbai) received the Award of Merit.