1. Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya unveiled world’s first intranasal COVID-19 vaccine
- Union Health Minister, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya has unveiled the world’s first intranasal COVID-19 vaccine "iNNCOVACC" in New Delhi.
- It is developed by Bharat Biotech International Limited (BBIL) in collaboration with Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance.
- According to the statement of the ministry, the intranasal COVID-19 vaccine is to receive approval for the primary 2-dose schedule and as a heterologous booster dose.
Summits & Conferences
2. National Child Science Congress begins in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- The 30th National Child Science Congress started at Ahmedabad in Gujarat on 27th January 2023.
- It is being organized at Science City and will conclude on 31st January 2023.
- Focal theme: Understanding Ecosystem for Mental and Wellbeing
- The program is being hosted by the Gujarat Council on Science and Technology, the Gujarat Council of Science City, and SAL Education.
- More than 1400 delegates including child scientists and government officials will attend the congress.
3. International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2023: 27 January
- The United Nations designated January 27 as International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- Reason: In honour of six million Jews killed in the Holocaust and millions of other Nazism victims under the Hitler regime between 1933 and 1945.
- Theme 2023: Home and Belonging
- The day commemorates the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in January 1945 from Nazi control
- The UN in its 42nd plenary session declared January 27 as International Holocaust Remembrance Day on November 1, 2005.
4. Women's IPL garners bids worth Rs 4,670 cr
- BCCI secretary, Jay Shah has confirmed that the total bids received from the winners were worth Rs 4,669.99 crore (USD 572.78 million).
- Mumbai Indians, Delhi Capitals, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Adani Group, and Capri Global won the bid for the inaugural edition.
- The teams will be based in Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad, and Lucknow respectively.
- The Ahmedabad team was sold for the highest price INR 1289 crore, followed by Mumbai, Bengaluru, Delhi, and Lucknow.
Science & Technology
5. Central Govt sanctions Rs 2,600 crore to Uttarakhand under RDS Scheme
- The Central Government has sanctioned 2,600 crore rupees to Uttarakhand under the Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme (RDSS).
- Reason: For the construction of new power lines, sub-stations, and underground power lines
- Aim: To strengthen the power supply system, the capacity of sub-stations will be increased in several districts including Dehradun
- All power lines in Haldwani will be underground
- The State's project has been approved in the Regional Power Committee meeting
6. EPFO launches Nidhi Aapke Nikat 2.0, massive District Outreach Programme
- Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has launched a massive District Outreach Progarmme "Nidhi Aapke Nikat 2.0".
- This programme was launched by Secretary, Ministry of Labour & Employment, Arti Ahuja.
- Nidhi Aapke Nikat 2.0:
- It is a grievance redressal platform and information exchange network for employers.
- It also exchanges information with the district-level authorities of various State and Central Government departments.
Honours & Awards
7. Visakhapatnam railway station gets ‘Green Railway Station Certification’
- Visakhapatnam railway station of East Coast Railway has been awarded the ‘Green Railway Station Certification with the highest rating of Platinum'.
- The award was presented by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).
- Reason: For adopting green concepts and reducing the adverse environmental impact.
- Visakhapatnam is one of the few railway stations to get this prestigious certificate.
- It has secured 82 out of 100 points in six environmental categories.
Banking & Finance
8. UN slashes India's economic growth forecast to 5.8% for 2023
- The United Nations has slashed India’s growth forecast by 20 basis points to 5.8 percent for the 2023 calendar year.
- Reason: Higher interest rates and recession risks in the developed world weighing on investment and exports.
- The report has projected that global trade will contract 0.4 percent and the world economy will grow at 1.9 percent in 2023.
- For the fiscal year 2023-24, the agency kept its growth forecast unchanged for India at 6 percent.
Banking & Finance
9. Stressed Assets Securitisation Framework for Quicker Resolution
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released a discussion paper on the securitization of stressed assets.
- Stressed Assets: NPA, written-off assets, and restructured loans
- Aim: To provide an alternative mechanism for the sale of bad loans, in addition to the existing asset reconstruction route.
- In September 2022, RBI announced that it will introduce a framework for the securitization of stressed assets
- The discussion paper broadly covers nine relevant areas of the framework
10. UNESCO designates Ukraine's Odesa a World Heritage in Danger site
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) had designated the historic center of Odesa, a strategic port city on Ukraine’s Black Sea coast as a World Heritage in Danger site.
- The status was awarded by a UNESCO panel meeting in Paris.
- This status will help to protect Odesa’s cultural heritage, which has been under threat since Russia’s invasion and enable access to financial and technical international aid.