1. ‘Kargil Vijay Diwas 2021’ being observed today
- Kargil Vijay Diwas is celebrated on 26th July in honor of the heroes of the Kargil war of 1999.
- On this day in 1999, the Indian Army announced that Pakistani forces and intruders have been driven out from all occupied territories.
- To concur Kargil war ‘Operation Vijay’ (II) was launched.
- 1st Operation Vijay was launched in 1961 that led to the capture of Goa and Daman and Diu.
- Indian Airforce along with Army also launched ‘Operation White Sea’ during the Kargil war.
Arts & Culture
2. Kakatiya Rudreswara temple inscribed by UNESCO as World Heritage Site
- Kakatiya Rudreswara Temple has been inscribed by UNESCO as World Heritage Site (39th site in India).
- Also known as Ramappa temple, it is located in Palampet village in the newly formed Mulugu District in Telangana.
- The 13th-century temple is probably the only temple known by its chief sculptor, Ramappa.
- This is the first site that got heritage tag from UNESCO ever since Telangana state formed in 2014.
Banking & Finance
3. IFC lends $250 million to HDFC Ltd to boost green housing finance
- IFC, the investment arm of the World Bank has provided $250 million loans to HDFC Ltd for green housing.
- Green housing is regarded as a luxury market in the country but has climate benefits.
- Green affordable housing can help India on its path to deliver on its commitments under the Paris Agreement, to reduce a 3rd of its carbon emissions by 2030 from 2005 levels.
- Green and energy-efficient housing can help cut emissions.
- IFC Headquarter: Washington DC
4. World’s Largest Floating Solar Farm Proposed for Indonesia
- Sunseap Group, a solar energy system developer, owner, and operator in Singapore plans to build the world’s largest floating solar farm in Indonesia.
- The floating photovoltaic system is expected to have a capacity of 2.2 GW.
- It will cover 1600 hectares of the Duriangkang Reservoir on Batam Island and cost about $2 billion to construct.
- An agreement between Sunseap and the Batam Indonesia free zone authority to move forward with the project was signed on July 19.
5. Corteva Agriscience inks pact to promote sustainable rice production in UP
- Corteva Agriscience has signed a 3-year project with the 2030 Water Resources Group (2030 WRG) hosted by the World Bank, to promote sustainable rice cultivation in UP.
- The project provides a framework for Corteva, 2030 WRG, and a task force of multiple stakeholders to work towards transforming 40,000 acres of land from traditional methods of transplanting rice to the Direct Seeded Rice technique.
- This practice will reduce agricultural water consumption by 35-37%.
6. Arunachal Pradesh, IIM Shillong to collaborate as knowledge partners
- Arunachal Pradesh govt signed an MoU with Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Centre for Policy Research and Analysis-IIM Shillong for collaborating as a knowledge partner
- Aim: Capacity building of State Govt and to set up a satellite centre of IIM-S in the State and for necessary policy interventions
- The MoU aims at promoting mutual agreement b/w the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Centre for Policy Research Analysis of IIM Shillong and the Finance Planning and Investment Department of the state.
Books & Authors
7. D Subbarao Unveils the book titled 'Bank With A Soul: Equitas'
- Duvvuri Subbarao, Former Governor, RBI released Dr. C K Garyali’s book, ‘Bank with a Soul: Equitas’.
- C K Garyali is a founder trustee of EDIT (Equitas Development Initiative Trust)
- The book chronicles the journey of Equitas and EDIT in transforming the lives of women with frequent social reform initiatives helping them set up micro-enterprises and pioneering financial inclusivity right from its inception.
- The foreword of the book has been written by Duvvuri Subbarao.
8. Nasa selects SpaceX for Jupiter moon mission
- NASA selected SpaceX to launch its probe of Jupiter's moon Europa, which has liquid oceans that could harbour life.
- The Europa Clipper mission, scheduled to launch in October 2024 on a Falcon Heavy rocket from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, is worth $178 million.
- Europa Clipper will conduct a detailed survey of the icy Jupiter moon Europa and use a sophisticated suite of science instruments to investigate whether the moon has conditions suitable for life.
Banking & Finance
9. RBI to introduce digital currency in phased manner
- The RBI is considering a “phased introduction" of a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC).
- It was announced by Deputy Governor T. Rabi Sankar.
- It will need legal changes to be made in the nation’s foreign exchange rules and information-technology laws.
- A CBDC is a legal tender that would be issued by the central bank in a digital form.
- It is exchangeable one-to-one with fiat currency and it would appear as a liability on a central bank’s balance sheet.
National & International Appointments
10. Nasir Kamal appointed Bureau of Civil Aviation Security DG
- Senior IPS officer Nasir Kamal has been appointed the Director-General of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- Kamal is a 1986-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- He has served in various roles before this appointment.
- More recently, he was Director of the National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science.