National & International Appointments
1. Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus re-elected as WHO Director-General for second term
- World Health Organization has re-appointed Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as Director-General of WHO for the second term with effect from 16th August 2022.
- His re-election was confirmed during the 75th World Health Assembly in Geneva.
- He was the sole candidate. Dr Tedros was first elected in 2017.
- Before joining the WHO, Dr Tedros was served as Minister of Foreign Affairs and as Minister of Health in Ethiopia.
- WHO Headquarters: Geneva
- World Health Day: 7 April
2. Centre launches Swachh Survekshan 2023 under SBM Urban 2.0
- Central Government has launched the 8th Edition of Swachh Survekshan - 2023 under Swachh Bharat Mission Urban 2.0.
- Theme 2023: ‘Waste to Wealth’
- The survey would give priority to the principle of 3 Rs- Reduce, Recycle and Reuse.
- Swachh Survekshan was introduced by MoHUA in 2016 as a competitive framework to encourage cities to improve the status of urban sanitation.
- Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep Singh Puri
Honours & Awards
3. CMFRI director wins VASVIK industrial research award
- A Gopalakrishnan (Director of the ICAR-Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute) has received the VASVIK (Vividhlaxi Audyogik Samshodhan Vikas Kendra) Industrial Research Award in the category of Agricultural Sciences and Technology for the year 2020.
- The award includes a cash prize of 1.51 lakh and a citation.
- The VASVIK research award is given to scientists and researchers who have demonstrated excellence in eight categories each year.
National & International Organizations
4. Gautam Adani named among Time's 100 most influential people 2022
- Gautam Adani, Karuna Nundy (SC lawyer) and Khurram Parvez (Kashmiri human rights activist) have been named among the world’s 100 most influential people of 2022 by TIME magazine.
- The six categories of list: Icons, Pioneers, Titans, Artists, Leaders and Innovators.
- Adani has been named under the Titans category, Nundy and Parvez named under the Leaders category.
- Recently, Gautam Adani with $123.7 billion net worth has become the 5th richest person in the world (2022).
5. BCCI, NFT signs for Women's T20 Challenge
- The Indian cricket board has now decided to examine using non-fungible tokens (NFT).
- The Indian cricket board has unveiled FanCraze (cricket metaverse company) as its official associate partner for the Women's T20 Challenge.
- FanCraze is also the ICC partner alongside being on board with West Indies cricket.
- The women's T20 challenge will feature three team (the Supernovas, Trailblazers and Velocity) and will compete at Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) Stadium.
6. Uttarakhand becomes the first Indian state to roll out drone in healthcare
- Redcliffe Labs has come up with its first commercial drone flight in the country's healthcare sector.
- The company has recently opened its commercial drone corridor between Uttarkashi and Dehradun.
- The distance from Uttarkashi to Dehradun by road is 144 km and takes 6-8 hours by road and during landslides 12 hours, but this distance was covered in 88 minutes with drone technology.
- Radcliffe Labs founder: Dheeraj Jain
7. Tamil Nadu government launches integrated agri-development scheme
- Tamil Nadu CM, MK Stalin has launched the ‘Kalaignarin All Villages Integrated Agricultural Development Programme’.
- The programme has been proposed in all the 15,525 village panchayats through a convergence of Union and State government schemes.
- Aim: To bring 11.75 lakh hectares of land under net area cultivated in the next 10 years and increase the double-cropping area to 20 lakh hectares.
- Tamil Nadu capital : Chennai
- Governor of Tamil Nadu: R. N. Ravi
8. Inter-State Council reconstituted under the chairmanship of PM Modi
- The Inter-State Council has been reconstituted under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, , which works to promote and support cooperative federalism in the country.
- The council comprises chief ministers of all states and six Union ministers as members.
- It will also have 10 Union ministers as permanent invitees.
- The government has also reconstituted the standing committee of the Inter-State Council with Union HM Amit Shah as head.
9. Tripura adopts EV policy to convert 10% of state’s vehicles to electric
- Tripura government has decided to adopt the Electric Vehicle Policy 2022 to promote electric vehicles.
- Aim: To convert 10% of state’s vehicles to electric mode in 5 years.
- Electric vehicles would reduce air pollution and would be helpful in promoting eco-friendly tourism.
- If it is implemented, then Tripura would become the 15th state and third in the Northeast region after Assam and Meghalaya to adopt the electric vehicle policy.
10. India joins US Indo-Pacific economic plan
- PM Narendra Modi has formalised India’s entry into the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF), along with 12 other countries.
- Aim: To strengthen economic cooperation as a geostrategic counter.
- The other 12 countries that joined the IPEF: The US, Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- The 13 countries together account for 40 per cent of world GDP.
11. India's first Olympic Values Education Programme in Odisha
- India’s first ‘Olympic Values Education Programme’ (OVEP) by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) was launched in Odisha.
- The OVEP was officially launched by Naveen Patnaik (Odisha CM), Nita Ambani (IOC Member) along with other members.
- This programme will be integrated into the school education system of Odisha.
- The programme is being developed in partnership with the Department of School and Mass Education (Odisha) and the Abhinav Bindra Foundation Trust.
12. NHA launches revamp Ayushman Bharat Health Account mobile app
- The National Health Authority (NHA) under its flagship scheme of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) has announced the launch of a revamped Ayushman Bharat Health Account (ABHA) mobile application.
- The ABHA mobile application enables an individual to create an ABHA address (username) that can be linked with the 14 digit randomly generated ABHA number.
- Existing ABHA app users can also update their previous app versions to the latest one.
- CEO of NHA: Dr RS Sharma
13. UP government launches ‘SAMBHAV’ portal to monitor grievances, schemes
- Minister for energy and urban development (UP), AK Sharma has launched ‘SAMBHAV’ (sambhav.up.gov.in) platform/portal to monitor the grievances, schemes, programmes and policies of the departments.
- SAMBHAV is a multi-modal platform, it helps to dispose public grievances swiftly and effectively and provide good governance and make the public service delivery transparent and accountable.
- SAMBHAV will work as an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) platform.