1. Neeraj Chopra wins silver at 2022 World Athletics Championships, Oregon
- Neeraj Chopra has clinched the silver medal with best throw of 88.13m, in the javelin throw final at 2022 World Championships, Eugene, Oregon.
- He also becomes only the second Indian and first male track and field athlete to win a medal.
- Anderson Peters (Grenada) has bagged gold with a best throw of 90.54m while Jakub Vadlejch (Czech Republic) took the bronze with 88.09m.
- Legendary long jumper, Anju Bobby George was the first Indian to win bronze in the 2003 at Paris.
Banking & Finance
2. India's Forex reserves decreased to USD 572.7 billion from USD 7.5 billion
- According to the latest report released by the Reserve Bank of India, the foreign exchange reserves of India has been dropped to $572.7 billion from $7.5 billion during the week ended July 15, 2022.
- Reason: It is mainly due to foreign currency assets that were down $6.5 billion.
- Reserves have been fallen about $60 billion in 2022 due to aggressive intervention by the central bank to curb the sharp volatility in the foreign exchange market.
3. India and Japan conduct maritime partnership exercise in Andaman Sea
- A Maritime Partnership Exercise (MPX) has been conducted between the Maritime Self Defense Force of Japan and Indian Navy in the Andaman Sea.
- INS Sukanya (offshore patrol vessel) and JS Samidare (Murasame class destroyer) undertook various exercises, which include seamanship activities, aircraft operations and tactical manoeuvres as part of the operational interaction.
- Aim: Enhancing interoperability and streamlining seamanship and communication procedures.
4. Jharkhand government unveils state's Tourism Policy 2021
- Jharkhand Chief Minister, Hemant Soren has launched Jharkhand Tourism Policy 2022 which helps to prepare a roadmap for tourism to thrive in the state.
- The state new tourism policy focuses on eco-tourism and incentives to bring in investors into the state.
- The policy also focusing to civic amenities and adopting ways of beautification for sites like Deoghar, Parasnath, Madhuban and Itkhori.
- Jharkhand Tagline: A New Experience
- Governor: Ramesh Bais
5. Cochin Shipyard, IIM-Kozhikode sign to boost Startups in maritime sector
- The Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) has signed an agreement with the Indian Institute of Management-Kozhikode (IIMK) to boost start-ups in the maritime sector.
- Aim: Create an ecosystem for supporting startups in the maritime sector from the technical, regulatory, financial, and marketing
- The CSL and IIMK's business incubator Laboratory for Innovation Venturing and Entrepreneurship (LIVE) plans to bring the stakeholders together.
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd Chairman: Madhu S Nair
6. Income Tax Day observed on 24 July by CBDT
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has observed the 163rd anniversary of Income Tax Day on July 24, 2022.
- Income Tax was introduced for the first time in India by Sir James Wilson on 24 July 1860.
- Purpose: To compensate for the losses incurred by the British regime during the first war of independence against British Rule in 1857.
- The CBDT is a statutory authority functioning under the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
- CBDT chairman: Nitin Gupta
7. Assam Govt approves creation of second Wildlife Sanctuary in Barak valley
- Assam government has approved the proposal for the creation of Barak Bhuban Wildife Sanctuary (second wildlife sanctuary) in Barak Valley.
- The Barak Bhuban Wildlife Sanctuary will be spread over an area of 320 sq Km between the Barak river and Sonai river.
- Eight recorded species: Slow loris, Rhesus macaque, Pig-tailed macaque, Stump-tailed macaque, Assamese macaque, capped langur, phayre's leaf monkey and hoolock gibbon.
- It is also an important habitat for king cobra.
8. Hindalco, Aequs sign pact in commercial aerospace sector
- Hindalco Industries and Aequs have signed a strategic pact for long-term collaboration and joint business development in the commercial aerospace sector.
- Aequs has signed for supply of raw materials including, billets and extrusions by Hindalco Industries Ltd (Hindalco) through its manufacturing units and/or its subsidiary, Hindalco Almex Aerospace Ltd (HAAL).
- It will be ultimately consumed by commercial aerospace OEMs ( original equipment manufacturers).
9. India’s first brain health clinic launched in Bengaluru
- Health Minister Dr K Sudhakar (Karnataka) has inaugurated India’s first brain health clinic under the Karnataka Brain Health Initiative (Ka-BHI) at Jayanagar General Hospital.
- The inauguration ceremony was held on World Brain Day (22nd July).
- Two more such centres will come up in Chikkaballapura and Kolar districts in association with Nimhans.
- Karnataka Brain Health Initiative (Ka-Bhi) ambassador, Robin Uthappa, had also participated in the event.
10. Karnataka cabinet gives approval to states new employment policy 2022-2025
- The Karnataka cabinet has gave their approval to the ‘Karnataka Employment Policy 2022-25’ for increasing job opportunities in the state.
- If an industry is planning to increase the working capital by ₹50 crore, it has to create a minimum of 30-50 jobs.
- For increasing investment up to ₹100 crore, the minimum 35 jobs should be created for locals.
- For ultra mega units, which were earlier required to create a minimum of 400 jobs, will now have to generate 510.