1. Andrey Rublev wins Serbia Open title
- Andrey Rublev (Russian) has defeated world No. 1 Novak Djokovic (Serbia) to win his third title in the Serbia Open.
- Andrey Rublev has saved five set points in the second set to force a tie-break, but he was unable to prevent Djokovic from levelling the match.
- Rublev has now equalled Rafael Nadal (Spain) for the most tour-level titles in 2022
- He also clinched crowns in Marseille and Dubai in February 2022.
2. Palli becomes India’s first carbon-neutral panchayat
- Palli village in Samba district of Jammu has become the nation's first panchayat to become carbon neutral, fully powered by solar energy.
- This project (500 KW solar plant) with the help of villagers was completed in a record time of three weeks.
- 1,500 solar panels were placed in a total area of 6,408 sq mt to provide clean electricity to 340 houses in the model panchayat under the central government’s ‘Gram Urja Swaraj’ programme.
- J&K Governor: Manoj Sinha
3. Veteran leader of Congress K. Sankaranarayanan passes away
- Senior leader of Congress K Sankaranarayanan has passed away at the age of 89. He served as governor of Maharashtra, Nagaland, and Jharkhand during his career.
- He had also held additional charges of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and Goa as Governor.
- He was elected to the state assembly from Trithala, Sreekandapuram, Ottapalam and Palakkad constituencies.
- He was a minister in Kerala's UDF governments led by former Chief Ministers A K Antony and K Karunakaran.
4. Agriculture Ministry organises 'Kisan Bhagidari,Prathmikta Hamari’ campaign
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare organised the 'Kisan Bhagidari, Prathmikta Hamari’ campaign from April 25 - April 30, 2022, under 'Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav' in the association with various other Ministries and Departments.
- The Department of Agriculture Research and Education will also organise a Krishi Mela at each Krishi Vigyan Kendra and a field exhibition on natural farming.
- Union Agriculture Minister: Narendra Singh Tomar
5. Lieutenant Governor of J&K approves hike in minimum wages of daily wagers
- Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Manoj Sinha has approved a hike in minimum wages of the daily wagers (including casual laborers) in all Government Departments from 225 rupees per day to 300 rupees per day.
- The Labour department has intimated that the process shall be completed within 3 months.
- The daily wagers are playing a crucial role in the development of UT and the interim measure has been taken to benefit a sizable portion of the workforce.
6. India won gold medal in Archery World Cup Stage-1
- India has defeated France by 232-231 in the compound men's team final to win the gold medal in the Archery World Cup Stage-1 at Antalya, Turkey.
- The Indian trio of Abhishek Verma, Rajat Chauhan, and Aman Saini has defeated has French team of Jean Philippe Boulch, Quentin Baraer and Adrien Gontier.
- The Indian duo of Tarundeep Rai and Ridhi has defeated Alex Wise and Bryony Pitman of Great Britain to win recurve mixed team gold medal.
7. Indian wrestler won Gold in Asian Wrestling Championship
- Indian Men wrestlers have won one gold, three silver and three bronze medals at the Asian Wrestling Championships in Ulaanbaatar.
- Gold: Ravi Dahiya beats Kazakhstan's Kalzhan Rakhat(57kg)
- Silver: Bajrang Punia(65Kg), Deepak Punia (86kg), and Gourav Baliyan(79kg)
- Bronze: Naveen(70kg), Viky (92kg) and Satywart (97kg)
- Indian women wrestlers Anshu Malik(57kg) and Radhika(65 kg) have won silver and Manisha(62 kg) has clinched bronze in the women's freestyle category.
8. SVAMITVA scheme has completed two years
- SVAMITVA scheme (Survey of Villages Abadi and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas) has completed its two years on 24th April, 2022.
- It is a Central Scheme of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj with an aim to provide the record of rights to village household owners in rural areas and issue Property Cards.
- Drone technology has been used for the first time to map actual property area of land owners
National & International Organizations
9. UNESCO named Guadalajara as World Book Capital 2022
- Guadalajara (Mexico) has been declared the World Book Capital for the year 2022 on the recommendation of the World Book Capital Advisory Committee.
- The declaration was made by the Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay.
- The city has already been recognised as a UNESCO Creative City since 2017.
- The city was selected for its comprehensive plan for policies around the book to trigger social change, combat violence and build a culture of peace.
Honours & Awards
10. Sir David Attenborough named Champions of the Earth Award 2021
- Sir David Attenborough has been awarded the Champions of the Earth Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication to research, documentation, and advocacy for the protection of nature and its restoration by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP).
- Other winners:
- Policy Leadership: Mia Mottley (Prime Minister of Barbados)
- Inspiration And Action: Sea Women of Melanesia (Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands)
- Entrepreneurial Vision: Maria Kolesnikova (Kyrgyz Republic)