National & International Appointments
1. Barbados elects Dame Sandra Mason as its first-ever president
- Dame Sandra Mason (72-years) has been elected after securing two-thirds of the votes in the country's two houses of Parliament.
- Mason has been the governor-general since 2018 when she was appointed by the queen.
- Barbados has elected its first-ever president as it prepares to become a republic, removing Queen Elizabeth as head of state.
- Barbados is an island country, located in Lesser Antilles of the West Indies.
2. UK Navy Chief Admiral meets Indian counterpart in New Delhi
- United Kingdom Navy Chief Admiral Sir Tony Radakin met Indian Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh in New Delhi and laid a wreath at the National War Memorial as a tribute to fallen soldiers.
- Amongst other naval bilateral cooperation issues, the Chiefs emphasised collaborative mechanisms towards ensuring peace and security in the region.
- Admiral Radakin is on a three-day visit to India.
- He is also scheduled to visit the Indian Navy’s Western Naval Command in Mumbai.
3. Namibia defeat Ireland to qualify for Super 12 stage
- Namibia defeated Ireland by 8 wickets at Sharjah in the Group A of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah.
- Ireland won the toss, chose to bat and set the target of 126 runs.
- Namibia achieved the target with 9 balls remaining.
- With this win, Namibia has progressed from Group A to the Super 12 stages.
- As a result of finishing at the top of Group A, Namibia will join India's group featuring Pakistan, New Zealand and Afghanistan.
4. India hands over Jaynagar-Kurtha cross-border rail link to Nepal govt
- India handed over a 34.9 km long cross-border rail link connecting Jayanagar in Bihar to Kurtha in Nepal to the Nepal government.
- The handing over ceremony took place in the presence of the Nepal minister for physical Infrastructure and transport Renu Kumari Yadav and Indian ambassador to Nepal Vinay M. Kwatra.
- The Jaynagar - Kurtha section is part of the 68.7 km Jaynagar - Bijalpura- Bardidas rail link built under the Government of India's grant assistance programme
5. J&K LG Manoj Sinha e-inaugurates “Jashn-e-Zafraan”
- Jammu and Kashmir LG Manoj Sinha e-inaugurated the “Jashn-e-Zafraan”, Harvesting Saffron in presence of Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Kailash Choudhury.
- The income of J&K farmers is at the fifth position in the whole country, 46% higher than the national average.
- As per data of the National Statistical Survey, the farmers of J&K have a monthly income of 18,918 rupees, way above the national average of 10,218 rupees.
6. International Snow Leopard Day : 23rd October
- World Snow Leopard Day is observed globally on 23rd October every year.
- The main purpose of this day is to show the importance of snow leopard conservation and raise awareness about this incredible animal.
- The first Snow Leopard Day occurred on the 23rd of October in 2014.
- Snow Leopard is found in India, Nepal, Bhutan, China, Mongolia, Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
7. PaceJames Pattinson announces retirement from International Cricket
- Australia fast bowler James Pattinson (31-years) has announced his retirement from test cricket.
- Pattinson, who has battled injuries throughout his career, has 81 wickets from 21 Test matches for Australia since he made his debut in December 2011.
- The right-arm played 21 Test Matches, 15 One-Day Internationals and four T20 Internationals for Australia.
8. Textile Ministry issues notification for setting up seven PM MITRA Parks
- Textiles Ministry has issued notification for setting up of seven PM MITRA Parks.
- It will be set up at Greenfield or Brownfield sites located in different willing States
- The Union Development Capital Support will be 30% of the Project Cost, with a cap of 500 Cr rupees and for Brownfield sites 30% of the project cost of balance infrastructure and restricted to a limit of 200 crore rupees
- It will reduce logistics costs and improve the competitiveness of Indian Textiles.
National & International Appointments
9. SAI appoints Arjuna Awardee Commodore PK Garg as new CEO of TOPS
- The Sports Authority of India (SAI) has appointed Commodore PK Garg as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS).
- He will replace Commander Rajesh Rajagopalan, who held the post from 2018 till the Tokyo Olympics.
- The appointment was officially ratified at SAI's Mission Olympic Cell meeting
- Mr Garg represented India in five Asian Games from 1986 to 2002 in the Enterprise Class Sailing Event and has been a National Champion five times.
10. Indian Navy conducts Offshore Sailing Regatta from Kochi to Goa
- As part of the commemorative activities of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, Indian Navy is conducting an Offshore Sailing Regatta from Kochi to Goa under aegis of Indian Naval Sailing Association, INSA.
- Six Indian Naval Sailing Vessels Mhadei, Tarini, Bulbul, Neelkanth, Kadalpura and Hariyal will participate in the event.
- The Flagging ceremony of the race will be presided over by the Commandant, Naval War College at Goa on the 29th of this month.