Honours & Awards
1. Suriya and Ajay Devgn won the 68th National Film Awards Best Actor award
- Actor Suriya (Soorarai Pottru) and Ajay Devgn ( Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior) have won the 68th National Film Awards 2022 for the best actor.
- Aparna Balamurali has been named as the best actor in the female category for her film 'Soorarai Pottru.'
- Other awards:
- Best Feature Film: Soorarai Pottru
- Best Director: Sachidanandan KR, Ayyappanum Koshiyum
- Best Feature Film in Hindi: Toolsidas Junior
- Most Film-Friendly State: Madhya Pradesh
- Best Audiography: Dollu (Kannada)
Banking & Finance
2. Reserve Bank of India imposes restrictions on four cooperative banks
- The RBI has imposed restrictions on four cooperative banks due to their deteriorating financial positions.
- Four banks: Saibaba Janata Sahakari Bank, Maharashtra, Suri Friends' Union Co-operative Bank Ltd, West Bengal, United India Co-operative Bank Limited, Bijnor (UP) and National Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd, Bahraich (UP).
- Withdrawal limit:
- Saibaba Janata Sahakari: Rs. 20,000
- Suri Friends' Union Co-operative: Rs. 50,000
- National Urban Co-operative: Rs.10,000
3. Burhanpur, MP becomes first certified Har Ghar Jal district of the country
- Burhanpur, Madhya Pradesh becomes the first certified Har Ghar Jal district in India, where all people have access to safe drinking water through taps.
- At the time of the launch of Jal Jeevan Mission, the district had only 36.54% households can accessed the potable drinking water through tap connections.
- Jal Jeevan Mission:
- Launched: 15th August 2019
- Aim: Supply 55 liters of water per person per day to every rural household through Tap by 2024.
National & International Appointments
4. Dinesh Gunawardena Sworn-in as new Prime Minister of Sri Lanka
- The President of Sri Lanka, Ranil Wickremesinghe has administered oath to Dinesh Gunawardena as the new Prime Minister of Sri Lanka along with 17 other cabinet ministers.
- Along with Prime Ministership, he has additional charge of Public Administration, Home Affairs, Provincial Council, and Local Government.
- Recently, Ranil Wickremesinghe was sworn in as the country's new President.
- Sri Lanka Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee
5. Uttar Pradesh CM launches scheme for cashless medical benefit
- Uttar Pradesh CM, Yogi Adityanath has launched a scheme Deen Dayal Upadhyaya State Employees Cashless Medical Scheme.
- Aim: To provide cashless medical facility to state government employees, pensioners and their dependents.
- The eligible people will receive cashless medical facilities at government-run institutions, medical colleges and hospitals without any financial limit.
- Also, this facilities up to Rs 5 lakh will be available under the Ayushman Bharat Scheme.
6. With $87 billion,India becomes top remittance recipient in 2021
- According to a World Health Organisation report, India has received $87 billion in remittances in 2021 and becomes the top remittance recipient.
- The United States was the largest source country for remittances in 2020, followed by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Switzerland.
- In 2021, the top five remittance recipients in current US dollars were India, China, Mexico, the Philippines (36 billion dollars) and Egypt (33 billion dollars).
7. India’s R&D expenditure one of the lowest worldwide: NITI Aayog
- As per the NITI Aayog's India Innovation Index 2021, Gross expenditure on research and development (GERD) of India is one of the lowest in the world (just $43 per capita or as a percentage of GDP of 0.70%).
- India needs to boost this expenditure and at least be on a par with countries like Russia ($285), Brazil ($173), and Malaysia ($293).
- This is lower than Brazil (1.16%), South Africa (0.83%) and others. Only Mexico (0.31%) had a lower share of GERD.
Banking & Finance
8. Canara Bank launches 'Canara ai1', new mobile banking app
- Canara Bank has launched a new mobile banking app - Canara ai1, it is available in 11 languages to cater to multiple sections of the society in their preferred language.
- Features: Intuitive UI and UX with multiple themes and customised menus which can be personalised as per the user’s choice.
- Security features: Device binding, malware detection, detection of remote administration tools and a dynamic keyboard to provide safe and secure banking.
Banking & Finance
9. Bajaj Allianz launches Pay As You Consume motor insurance add-on cover
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has announced the launch of its add-on motor insurance cover, called ‘Pay As You Consume’ (PAYC).
- It is a usage-based motor insurance add-on cover, can be opted by the customer along with the basic Own Damage (OD plan) under Package Product, Bundled and Standalone OD cover.
- Customers can choose coverage based on their vehicle usage, further to which the premium will be calculated, i.e., kilometres driven annually.
Honours & Awards
10. Indian-American professor, Kaushik Rajashekara wins Global Energy Prize
- Kaushik Rajashekara has won the prestigious Global Energy Prize for outstanding contributions to transportation electrification and energy efficiency technologies while reducing power generation emissions.
- He is an Indian-origin professor of engineering at the University of Houston.
- Only three people in the world were selected for the honor this year out of a record 119 nominations from 43 countries.