National & International Appointments
1. Vikram Dev Dutt appointed as director general of DGCA
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Vikram Dev Dutt as the next director general in the Directorate of General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) with effect from February 28, 2023.
- He is a 1993-batch IAS officer of AGMUT (Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram, and Union Territory) cadre.
- He will be succeeding the incumbent DGCA chief, Arun Kumar.
- He was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Air India Ltd in 2022.
2. Fifth Kalvari class submarine INS Vagir inducted into Indian Navy
- The fifth Kalvari class submarine INS Vagir has been inducted into Indian Navy on January 23, 2023.
- It was built by Mumbai’s Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited in collaboration with the France-based Naval Group.
- It was commissioned by Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral R Hari Kumar.
- It will boost the capabilities of the Indian Navy as it is capable of undertaking diverse missions including anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, etc.
3. 21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar renamed after Param Vir Chakra Awardees
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi renamed the 21 largest unnamed islands of Andaman & Nicobar after Param Vir Chakra awardees on January 23, 2023, via video conferencing.
- He has also unveiled the model of the National Memorial dedicated to Netaji, to be constructed on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Dweep (earlier known as Ross Islands).
- The event was attended by Home Minister Amit Shah and Chief of Defence Staff General, Anil Chauhan.
4. 23rd January: Parakram Diwas 2023
- India observed Parakram Diwas on January 23 to mark the birth of Indian freedom fighter, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
- In 2022, the nation celebrates the 126th birth anniversary of Netaji SC Bose.
- He was born on January 23, 1897, in Cuttack, Odisha.
- He acquired a degree in philosophy and was later selected for the Indian Civil Services.
- Netaji joined the Indian National Congress in 1921.
- He passed away on August 18, 1945, in a plane crash near Tohuku, Japanese Taiwan.
5. Indian Navy conducts “AMPHEX 2023” mega exercise in Andhra Pradesh
- The Indian Navy has organized a six-day-long mega biennial tri-services amphibious exercise 'AMPHEX 2023' near Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh from January 17 to 22, 2023.
- The military exercise was organized between the Indian Navy, Army, and IAF.
- It included complex activities in all domains that demonstrated and validated the high level of preparedness and excellent coordination
- It took place amid growing concerns over China’s increasing military forays into the Indian Ocean
6. HCHF and Ladakh Tourism Dept organized annual Ethnic Mamani Festival
- The annual Ethnic Mamani Festival was organized at Historical Styangkung Village and Chiktan Shagaran by the Himalayan Cultural Heritage Foundation (HCHF) and Ladakh Tourism Department.
- This village is being developed as one of the well-maintained heritage villages in Ladakh.
- During Mamani, people would exchange food with their relatives and neighbours and worship a variety of spirits.
- These festivals have helped in the revival of more than 35 cuisines of Kargil Ladakh
Summits & Conferences
7. ECI hosted 2nd International Conference in New Delhi
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has hosted the 2nd International Conference in New Delhi, India from 23-24 January 2023.
- 2023 theme: Use of Technology and Elections Integrity
- The two-day international conference was inaugurated by Chief Election Commissioner, Rajiv Kumar.
- Around 43 Participants from 17 Countries including Angola, Argentina, Australia, Croatia, Indonesia, Mauritius, Nepal, Philippines, and Suriname have joined the conference.
8. BSF conducts 'Ops Alert' exercise
- The Border Security Force (BSF) has started an "Ops Alert'' exercise with an aim to enhance security along the India-Pakistan border in the Kutch district of Gujarat and Barmer in Rajasthan.
- As per the release, this exercise commenced on January 21 and will continue till January 28 along the International Border from Sir Creek (marshy area).
- It is being carried out to “thwart any ill-designs of anti-national elements” during the Republic Day celebrations.
Honours & Awards
9. ESAF Bank bags Inclusive Finance India Awards 2022
- ESAF Small Finance Bank has bagged the prestigious Inclusive Finance India Awards 2022 for its contributions to advancing the goal of financial inclusion and supporting inclusive growth.
- K. Paul Thomas (MD and CEO, ESAF Bank) received the award from Anantha Nageshwaran (Chief Economic Advisor) at the 19th Inclusive Finance India Summit in New Delhi.
- This award recognized ESAF’s unique spectrum of Financial Inclusion projects ESAF Dhansree, and ESAF Udyog Jyothi.
Banking & Finance
10. EXIM Data: Trade Deficit narrows by 10 billion USD
- According to the revised data, the nation's foreign trade between April 2022 and November 2022 differs from the estimates made by the Ministry of Commerce.
- The total merchandise exports made by India during these eight months amount to 298 billion USD (earlier it was 276 billion USD).
- The import bill is now estimated to be $493.5 billion, about $1.7 billion higher than initial numbers.
- The trade deficit was 10 billion USD lower than the estimates made previously.