1. Indian women's Wrestling team wins U-17 Asian Championship, Kyrgyzstan
- Indian women's Wrestling team has clinched five medals to claim the Under-17 Asian Championship, held at Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- India has lifted the title with a total of 235 points (eight golds, one silver and one bronze).
- With 143 points, Japan finished at second and Mongolia at third with 138 points.
- Indian women including: Ritika( gold in 43 kg), Ahilaya Shinde (gold in 49 kg), Siksha (gold in 57 kg), Priya (gold in 73 kg), Pulkit (Silver medal in 65 kg).
National & International Appointments
2. Ruchira Kamboj appointed as next Permanent Representative to UN
- Indian ambassador to Bhutan, Ruchira Kamboj has been appointed as the Permanent Representative of India to UN.
- She will replace T S Tirumurti.
- She has joined the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) in 1987, was the All India women’s topper of the 1987 Civil Services batch and the topper of the 1987 Foreign Service batch.
- She worked in Paris (France) as the third Secretary in the Indian Embassy to France from 1989-91.
- She was also posted as ambassador to UNESCO Paris in 2014.
Banking & Finance
3. Merger of PVR-INOX gets clearance from BSE and NSE
- PVR and INOX Leisure have received clearances for their merger from bourses NSE and BSE.
- In March 2022, both multiplex operators has announced the merger to create the largest multiplex chain in the country.
- The company has received observation letter with 'no adverse observations' from BSE Ltd on June 20, 2022 and observation letter with 'no objection' from NSE on June 21, 2022 .
- Swap ratio: 3:10 i.e., 3 shares of PVR for 10 shares of Inox.
Books & Authors
4. A book titled “Gautam Adani: The Man Who Changed India” by RN Bhaskar
- The biography of Adani Group chairman and founder, Gautam Adani, "Gautam Adani: The Man Who Changed India", written by journalist-author RN Bhaskar will be released in October 2022.
- The book will be published by the Penguin Random House (PRHI).
- The book has claimed to bring to light the unknown aspects of one of the richest men in the world.
- Other book of Bhaskar: Game India: Seven strategies that could steer India to wealth (2019)
5. Renowned photojournalist, R. Raveendran passes away
- Well-known photojournalist, R. Raveendran has been passed away at the age of 69.
- He was known for his iconic photo of Rajiv Goswami setting himself on fire during the Mandal agitation in the Capital.
- He has been awarded various photography awards.
- He has worked in AFP and ANI.
- Initially, he worked as a teleprinter operator in AFP 1973 and then became a photographer. He was presently working with ANI as Photo Editor.
6. Indian footballer, Sunil Chhetri becomes joint 5th highest goalscorer
- Indian men's football team captain, Sunil Chhetri has become the joint fifth highest goalscorer in the history of international football.
- He has achieved this feat during their AFC Asian Cup Qualifier clash against Hong Kong, where he scored his 84th goal.
- Presently, he is equal to the legendary Real Madrid and Hungarian player, Ferenc Puskas goals.
- He has also surpassed legendary football player Pele's record of 77 goals.
Honours & Awards
7. American-Canadian writer Ruth Ozeki wins 2022 Women’s Prize for Fiction
- American-Canadian writer, Ruth Ozeki has won the 2022 Women’s Prize for Fiction for her novel ‘The Book of Form and Emptiness”.
- This is her fourth novel, which depicts the story of a thirteen-year-old boy who, starts to hear the voices of objects to talk to his father, after the tragic death of his father.
- She was received £30,000 prize at a ceremony in London.
- Other books: A Tale for the Time Being, plus the novels My Year of Meats and All Over Creation
Banking & Finance
8. SEBI forms advisory panel to hybrid securities to enable larger retail play
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), has set up 20-member advisory committee under the chairmanship of K V Kamath.
- Aim: recommends for giving a fillip to the growth of such instruments, including measures focusing on ease of issuance and attracting domestic and global capital.
- Sebi has reconstituted its research advisory committee of 16 members, chaired by V Ravi Anshuman.
- Aim: promotion, development, maintenance of databases relevant for regulation research.
National & International Organizations
9. India ranks 4th in global gold recycling in 2021, World Gold Council Report
- According to a World Gold Council (WGC) report, India has emerged as the fourth largest recycler in the world and the country has recycled 75 tonnes in 2021.
- WGC report titled: Gold refining and recycling.
- Top three: China (recycled 168 tonnes), followed by Italy (80 tonnes) and the US (78 tonnes in 2021).
- The gold refining capacity of India has been increased by 1,500 tonnes (500%) in 2021.
- World Gold Council Headquarters: London, UK; Founded: 1987; CEO: David Tait
10. Andhra Pradesh signs MoU with BYJU's for government school kids
- The Andhra Pradesh government has signed an MoU with BYJU's to provide quality education to government school students.
- The government will provide tablets to 4.7 lakh (approximately) students of class VIII at an estimated cost of Rs 500 crore.
- Aim: More efficient, quality-oriented and presentable
- BYJU's content would be incorporated in bilingual text books for students of classes IV to X from 2023 as the text books for 2022 have already been printed.
Banking & Finance
11. RBI extends date for implementation of provisions concerning card issuance
- The Reserve Bank of India has notified that it has extended the timeline for implementation of a few provisions under its master directions on credit card and debit card issuance.
- The timeline has been extended by three months from July 1, 2022, to October 1, 2022.
- Provisions: Card-issuers shall seek OTP based consent from the cardholder for activating a credit card, If consent is not received then card issuers shall close the credit card account without any cost.
12. Red Bull driver, Max Verstappen wins 2022 Canadian Grand Prix
- Red Bull's driver, World champion Max Verstappen has clinched the 2022 Canadian Grand Prix title.
- Ferrari driver, Carlos Sainz and Seven-time world champion, Lewis Hamilton ( Mercedes) have finished at second and third respectively.
- Azerbaijan GP: Max Verstappen
- Monaco GP: Sergio Pérez
- Sapinsh GP: Max Verstappen
- Miami GP: Max Verstappen
- Emilia Romagna GP: Max Verstappen
- Australian GP: Charles Leclerc
- Saudi Arabian GP: Max Verstappen
Banking & Finance
13. Govt to collaborate with SBI for creation of integrated pension portal
- Government's Department of Pension & Pensioners' Welfare (DoPPW) will collaborate with the State Bank of India (SBI).
- Aim: to create an integrated pension portal, which helps to enhance ease of living of pensioners.
- It was decided during the special session, that immediate efforts are needed for the creation of pension portal by linking the existing portals of the DoPPW and the SBI.
- SBI Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara