1. Manisha Kalyan becomes 1st Indian to play in UEFA Women's Champions League
- Young striker Manisha Kalyan has become the 1st Indian footballer to play at the UEFA Women's Champions League.
- She made her debut for Apollon Ladies FC in the European Club competition in Engomi, Cyprus.
- She replaced Cyprus' Marilena Georgiou in the 60th minute at the Makareio Stadium
- She was recently awarded the AIFF Women's Footballer of the Year for the 2021-22 season.
- Kalyan is the 2nd player from Gokulam Kerala to sign for an overseas club.
Banking & Finance
2. RBI cancels licence of Deccan Urban Co-operative Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India has canceled the licence of Deccan Urban Co-operative Bank, Karnataka the lender does not have adequate capital and earning prospects.
- As per the data submitted by the bank, more than 99 percent of the depositors are entitled to receive the full amount of their deposits from Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC).
- The cooperative bank ceases to carry on banking business, with effect from the close of business on 18 Aug.
3. Flipkart signs pact with IIMR to groom FPOs, SHGs
- Flipkart has signed an agreement with the Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR) to give Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) and Self-Help Groups (SHGs) access to markets.
- As part of the partnership, Flipkart aims to empower local farming communities and SHGs by providing a pan-India market access to more than 400 million customers.
- ICAR-IIMR will extend support with infrastructure and necessary approvals to take the partnership forward.
Banking & Finance
4. Larsen & Toubro commissions new green hydrogen plant at Hazira in Gujarat
- Larson & Toubro commissioned a new green hydrogen plant at Hazira in Gujarat.
- The development comes 5 months after the company inked a joint venture with Indian Oil Corporation and ReNew Power for the production of green hydrogen.
- L&T and IOC had also inked a separate joint venture for the production of electrolysers.
- The plant will produce 45 kg of green hydrogen daily, which will be used for captive consumption in the company’s Hazira manufacturing complex.
5. Odisha to prepare wildlife management plan in newly allotted coal blocks
- The Odisha government has decided to prepare a comprehensive wildlife management plan through national-level institutes for newly allotted coal block areas.
- The developments come keeping in view the safety of wild animals including elephants.
- The decision in this regard was taken at a meeting chaired by Chief Secretary S C Mohapatra to engage reputed organizations like the Wildlife Institute of India or the Indian Institute of Science.
6. Scotland museum signs deal to return 7 ancient artefacts to India
- Seven artefacts, including a stone door jamb stolen from a Hindu temple in Uttar Pradesh, have been transferred back to India by Glasgow’s museums.
- This is the part of Scotland’s “largest-ever” repatriation of objects from a single collection.
- Glasgow Life, a charitable organization that runs the city’s museums, had confirmed the handover earlier this year and the arrangement was formalized.
- The 7 antiquities include a ceremonial Indo-Persian talwar or sword.
7. India's star Olympic football captain Samar 'Badru' Banerjee' passes away
- Former India football team captain Samar 'Badru' Banerjee, passed away.
- He led the country to a historic 4-place finish in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Fondly known as ‘Badru Da’, he was suffering from Alzheimer’s, Azotemia and high-blood pressure-related ailments.
- Besides guiding Mohun Bagan to several trophies including their 1st ever Durand Cup (1953), Rovers Cup (1955), Banerjee has also won the Santosh Trophy twice as a player (1953, 1955) and once as coach (1962).
8. India, Australia conclude maritime exercise near Perth
- The Maritime Partnership Exercise (MPX) between the navies of India and Australia concluded.
- INS Sumedha participated with HMAS Anzac in the exercise reaffirming the strong navy-to-navy links and interoperability between Indian Navy and Royal Australian Navy.
- The MPX included cross deck landing of helicopters, tactical manoeuvres and a farewell steam past.
- Indian Navy's INS Sumedha was docked at Perth in Australia to celebrate India's 76th Independence Day.
Summits & Conferences
9. 65th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference being held in Halifax, Canada
- An Indian Parliamentary delegation led by Om Birla will be attending the 65th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference scheduled to be held in Halifax, Canada from August 20-26.
- The Conference will also be attended by 23 Presiding Officers and 16 Secretaries from State Legislatures in India who are also members of the CPA.
- Om Birla will participate as a panellist in Workshop ‘C’ titled “A People’s Parliament: Accessibility through Innovation”.
10. IAF contingent to participate in Exercise Pitch Black in Australia
- An Indian Air Force contingent has reached Australia to participate in Exercise Pitch Black 2022.
- The exercise is being held in Darwin till the 8th of next month.
- This is a biennial, multi-national exercise hosted by the Royal Australian Air Force.
- The Indian Air Force contingent comprises over 100 air warriors, deployed with four Su-30 MKI fighters and two C-17 aircraft.
- They will undertake multi-domain air combat missions in a complex environment.
11. 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas 2023 to be held at Indore in January next year
- The 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas 2023 will be held at Indore in January 2023.
- Secretary, Consular, Passport and Visa Division, Ausaf Sayeed and Chief Secretary of Madhya Pradesh Iqbal Singh Bains signed an MoU for hosting the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas.
- PBD is celebrated every year on the 9th Jan to mark the contribution of the overseas Indians to the development of India.
- It also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India on 9th January 1915.