National & International Appointments
1. Anshul Swami named as MD-CEO of Shivalik Small Finance Bank
- Anshul Swami has been appointed as managing director and chief executive officer Shivalik Small Finance Bank.
- The appointment of Swami has already been approved by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- He has replaced Suveer Kumar Gupta, who is a co-founder of the bank.
- Prior to Shivalik SFB, he was worked with RBL Bank as Head – Retail & Inclusion, Products.
- He has also worked with Barclays, Citi Financial, and Britannia.
2. India’s Pharma exports grow by 103% since 2013-14
- Pharma exports of India have witnessed an incredible growth of 103% since 2013-14 from 90, 415 crores rupees in 2013-14 to 1,83,422 crores rupees in 2021-22.
- The export of Pharma Sector has performed best export performance in 2021-22.
- The exports grew by almost 10 billion US dollars in 8 years.
- The pharma exports in 2021-22 have shown positive growth despite the drop in demand for COVID-related medicines and global trade disruptions.
3. Bihar CM inaugurates nation's first ethanol plant in Purnia
- CM Nitish Kumar has inaugurated India's first ethanol plant in Purnia district, Bihar .
- The plant has been set up by Eastern India Biofuels Private Limited at a cost of ₹105 crores.
- Bihar came up with an ethanol production promotion policy in the first half of 2021.
- It is the country's first grain-based ethanol plant.
- Ethanol production will help to reduce the cost of petrol and generate fresh employment opportunities in the state.
4. Mega Health Festival held in Puducherry
- Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan(LG of Puduchy) and CM N. Rangasamy have inaugurated a Mega Health Festival, which is jointly organised by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Puducherry Health and Family Welfare Services Department.
- The Mela is being organised at the Puducherry Rock Beach.
- Super-speciality medical consultation to the common public would be given free of cost.
- Minister of Health and Family Welfare: Mansukh Mandaviya
5. Karnataka govt, ISMC Analog sign pact to set up semiconductor fab plant
- Karnataka government has signed an MoU with ISMC Analog Fab Private Limited (Israel-based) for setting up a semiconductor fab plant in the state at a cost of Rs 22,900 crore (USD 3 billion).
- The project will be implemented over a period of seven years and generate 1,500 jobs.
- The ISMC has also requested 150 acres of land in Mysuru’s Kochanahalli Industrial area.
- Karnataka Governor: Thawar Chand Gehlot; Chief minister: Basavaraj Bommai
6. Maharashtra gene bank project to preserve biodiversity
- The Maharashtra cabinet has approved to set up of a gene bank project in the state to conserve native and endangered animals and biological species.
- The Gene Bank will work on freshwater, grassland biodiversity, protection, marine, crop, veterinary, and management of forest right areas, and regeneration of forests.
- An amount of ₹172.39 crores will be spent on these seven focus areas.
- The project will be implemented by the Maharashtra State Biodiversity Board (MSBB).
Banking & Finance
7. RBI imposes penalty on Bank of Maharashtra for non-compliance
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 1.12 crore on the Bank of Maharashtra for non-compliance.
- The RBI has also imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 25 lakh on Haryana State Co-operative Apex Bank Limited for non-compliance with its directions on Housing Finance.
- RBI has also imposed a monetary penalty of Rs 12 lakh on Rajkot Nagarik Sahakari Bank Limited for non-compliance with ‘Interest Rate on Deposits.
Books & Authors
8. Book titled“Amit Shah Ani Bhajapachi Vatchal” released
- Devendra Fadnavis (Maharashtra BJP leader) has released a Marathi book on Union Home Minister Amit Shah that chronicles his political journey.
- The book titled 'Amit Shah Ani Bhajapachi Vatchal' records the life and journey of Shah and his contribution to building the BJP.
- The book has been written by Dr. Anirban Ganguly and Shivanand Dwivedi and translated into Marathi by Dr. Jyostna Kolhatkar.
- The book is published by Bloomsbury India.
9. International Labour Day 2022: May 1
- International Labour Day is observed on the 1st of May every year, it is also known as International Worker’s Day and May Day.
- Aim: To spread awareness about Labour’s rights and mark their achievements.
- In India, the first Labour Day was celebrated by the Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan on May 1, 1923, in then Madras (now Chennai).
- May Day is also celebrated as the foundation day of Maharashtra Day and Gujarat Day.
Banking & Finance
10. NABARD plans Farmers Distress Index for allotment of support package
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) is planning to prepare a farmer distress index to identify, track, and support distressed farmers.
- Under this, the government and the financial institutions can decide on an appropriate package of support instead of a distress package for all the farmers across the board.
- This index will not be uniform across the nation, as it will depend upon the place’s stress levels.
- Nabard Chairman: G R Chintala
Commentswrite a comment