1. Czech's Linda Fruhvirtova wins maiden WTA Chennai Open title
- Linda Fruhvirtova (Czech Republic) has secured the 2022 WTA Chennai Open after beating third seed, Magda Linette (Poland) by 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 at the SDAT Stadium, Chennai.
- At 17 years and 141 days old, she is the youngest titlist of the season on the WTA Tour so far.
- She is the youngest singles champion on tour since Coco Gauff won Parma last year at 17 years, 70 days old.
- Doubles WTS Chennai Open: Gabriela Dabrowski and Luisa Stefani.
National & International Appointments
2. Prasanna Kumar Motupalli appointed as CMD of NLC India Limited
- The Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) has selected Prasanna Kumar Motupalli as the Chairman and Managing Director of NLC India Limited.
- He is currently serving as the Executive Director of NTPC limited.
- He is a gold medalist in Mechanical Engineering and Master of Business Management in Operation Management, HR Management, Marketing, and Financial Management.
- NLC Founded: 1956; Headquarters: Chennai
Banking & Finance
3. Edelweiss General Insurance signs pact with Repco Home
- Edelweiss General Insurance (EGI) has tied up with Chennai-based Repco Home Finance Ltd (RHFL) to offer insurance solutions to the home loan customers of the latter.
- EGI will offer property insurance cover and loan protection cover to RHFL’s customers through their branches spread across India.
- EGI will offer customised, affordable, and convenient insurance solutions to financially protect loan borrowers.
- MD and CEO, Edelweiss General Insurance: Shanai Ghosh
4. Bajrang Punia bags Bronze medal at World Wrestling Championships
- In Wrestling, Bajrang Punia has secured bronze medal in the men's 65 kg category at World Wrestling Championships.
- He defeated Sebastian C Rivera from Puerto Rico by 11-9.
- This is Punia's fourth medal at the Championships, starting his journey with bronze in 2013.
- This is India's second medal at the ongoing edition of the World Wrestling Championships.
- Earlier, Vinesh Phogat has captured a bronze medal in the women's 53 kg category at World Wrestling Championships.
Summits & Conferences
5. Jitendra Singh led Indian delegation at Global Clean Energy Action Forum
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh will lead the Joint Indian Ministerial official delegation in the Global Clean Energy Action Forum.
- The coveted joint convening of the Clean Energy Ministerial CEM13 and Mission Innovation MI-7 will take place from 21st to 23rd of September at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Aim: To bring together thousands of clean energy leaders from across the world to accelerate clean energy innovation and deployment.
6. India emerges as Sri Lanka’s largest bilateral lender
- India has overtaken China to emerge as the largest bilateral lender for Sri Lanka.
- India has provided a total of 968 million US dollars in loans to Sri Lanka in four months of 2022.
- In the past five years from 2017-2021, China has been the largest bilateral lender to Sri Lanka.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has been the largest multilateral lender in the past five years and disbursed funds amounting to 610 million dollars in 2021.
7. Bengaluru FC lifts maiden Durand Cup by defeating Mumbai City FC
- Bengaluru FC has defeated Indian Super League (ISL) giants Mumbai City FC by 2-1 to clinch the 131st edition of the Durand Cup at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata.
- The goal by Alan Costa in 61st minute gave Bengaluru FC the winning lead against Mumbai.
- The first edition of the competition was played in 1888.
- The club is owned and operated by the Mumbai-based company JSW Group and its managing director Sajjan Jindal.
8. Saudi becomes India's second-largest oil supplier in August 2022
- Saudi Arabia emerged as the second-biggest oil supplier to India after a three-month gap.
- Saudi Arabia has overtaken the Russia by a thin margin, while Iraq retained the top spot in August 2022.
- India is the world's third biggest oil importer and consumer, shipped in 863,950 barrels per day (bpd) of crude from Saudi Arabia (up 4.8% from the previous month).
- UAE has ranked four, while Kazakhstan replaced Kuwait to become fifth oil supplier to India, followed by US.
9. Former Pakistan cricket umpire Asad Rauf passes away
- Former Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf has been passed away at the age of 66 due to cardiac arrest in Lahore.
- He had made his first appearance as an umpire in international cricket in 2000.
- He officiated in 64 Tests, 139 ODIs and 28 T20Is and was one of Pakistan's leading umpires in the mid-2000s.
- He had played 71 first-class matches for National Bank and Railways before taking up umpiring, was appointed in the ICC elite panel in April 2006.
10. UP tops chart among states in trials pending in fast-track courts
- UP accounts for more than 70% of the 13.81 lakh pending trials in fast-track courts in cases of heinous crimes against women, children and senior citizens.
- More than 9.33 lakh cases are pending in the fast-track courts of Uttar Pradesh, followed by over 1.4 lakh cases in Maharashtra, 1.06 lakh cases in Tamil Nadu, 71,260 cases in West Bengal and 12,538 cases in Telangana.
- As many as 3,28,556 cases are pending in the FTSCs across 28 states and Union territories.