National & International Appointments
1. Former IAS officer Arun Goel appointed as Election Commissioner of India
- Arun Goel (retired IAS officer of 1985 batch Punjab cadre) has been appointed as the new Election Commissioner of India with effect from the date he assumes the office.
- Election Commission of India (ECI):
- It is a constitutional body to conduct and regulate elections in the country.
- It consists of a chief election commissioner (CEC) and two election commissioners (usually retired IAS or IRS officers)
- CEC: Rajiv Kumar
- Second Election Commissioner: Anup Chandra Pandey
Science & Technology
2. ISRO successfully launches first ever private Rocket from Sriharikota
- India's first ever private titled ‘Vikram-S’ Suborbital rocket has been launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- This rocket reached an altitude of 89.5 km with three payloads weighing 83 kilogram and safely splashed in the Bay of Bengal at around 115 km after the lift-off from Sriharikota.
- It is built by Skyroot Aerospace.
- Mission under which this rocket has been launched is named 'Prarambh', which literally means ‘beginning’.
3. PM inaugurates first greenfield airport ‘Donyi Polo Airport’ in AP
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has inaugurated Donyi Polo Airport, Itanagar and dedicated 600 MW Kameng Hydro Power Station to the nation.
- Donyi Polo Airport will be the fourth operational airport for Arunachal Pradesh, taking total airport count in the North-East region to 16.
- Airport name reflects the traditions and rich cultural heritage of Arunachal Pradesh and its age-old indigenous reverence for the Sun (Donyi) and the Moon (Polo).
4. PM inaugurates ‘Kashi Tamil Sangamam’ in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has inaugurated month-long ‘Kashi Tamil Sangamam’ being organized in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Objective: to celebrate, reaffirm and rediscover the age-old links between Tamil Nadu and Kashi.
- It will bring together academic exchanges, seminars, discussions, etc. between experts and scholars
- During the event, PM has also released a book ‘Tirukkural’ along with its translation into 13 languages.
5. 53rd edition of IFFI to begin in Goa from 20th November
- The 53rd edition of IFFI (International Film Festival of India) is all set to open to a colorful opening ceremony at Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Indoor Stadium, Taleigão in Goa.
- It will showcase 280 films from 79 countries.
- The festival will open with Austrian film, Alma and Oskar, directed by Dieter Berner.
- It will have 25 feature films and 19 non-feature films from India with special section for Asha Parekh.
6. IAF's Air Fest 2022 organized at Head Quarters Maintenance Command
- Annual show, ‘Air Fest 2022’ showcasing maneuvers of planes & helicopters in the arsenal of Indian Air Force (IAF) is organized at Head Quarters Maintenance Command, Vayusena Nagar in Nagpur.
- It is being conducted as a part of the 'Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav'.
- Objective: to showcase various facets of Indian Air Force (IAF) and motivate the youth of Nagpur to choose Indian Air Force for an exciting career.
Honours & Awards
7. National Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2021-22 conferred
- Minister of State for Education, Subhash Sarkar has conferred National Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2021-22 in Akashwani Bhawan, Delhi.
- The award has been conferred on 39 schools, including 5 in the national category and 34 in the overall category.
- Rs 60,000 were given to the national category winners and 20,000 rupees were given to the other category.
- It has been instituted by Ministry of Education to recognize excellence in water, sanitation, and hygiene in schools.
Arts & Culture
8. Giriraj Singh inaugurates SARAS AAJEEVIKA MELA, 2022
- Rural Development Minister, Giriraj Singh has inaugurated ‘SARAS AAJEEVIKA MELA, 2022’ at India International Trade Fair in New Delhi
- SARAS Mela: It is an initiative by Deendayal Antayodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihood Mission to bring the rural women self-help group members in one platform to showcase their skills.
- It also provides national level exposure to understand the demand and taste of urban customers in metro cities
9. India ranked 61st in Network Readiness Index 2022
- India has improved its rank by six slots in the Network Readiness Index 2022 (NRI 2022) report and is now placed at 61st rank with a score of 51.19.
- NRI 2022 Report maps the network-based readiness landscape of 131 economies based on their performances in 4 pillars: Technology, People, Governance, and Impact covering a total of 58 variables.
- The report is prepared by Portulans Institute.
- Top performers: United States, followed by Singapore and Sweden.
10. Manika Batra won bronze medal in Asian Cup Table Tennis tournament
- Indian table tennis player, Manika Batra has clinched the bronze medal at the ongoing ITTF-ATTU Asian Cup tournament at Huamark Indoor Stadium in Bangkok, Thailand
- She became the first Indian female paddler to win a medal at the event.
- She defeated World number six and three-time Asian champion Hina Hayata by 4-2 to clinch the bronze medal.