Honours & Awards
1. Tamilnad Mercantile Bank won Best Small Bank Award 2022
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank (TMB) was awarded the Best Small Bank Award 2022 in the 'Best Banks Survey for the year 2022’, conducted by Business Today-KPMG (BT-KPMG Best banks survey).
- The award was presented by Union Minister, Nitin Gadkari to S.Krishnan (TMB MD and CEO).
- TMB was awarded under the category of banks with a book size of less than ₹1 lakh crore.
- BT-KPMG: It is conducting BT-KPMG Best banks survey and awarding the best banks with 37 parameters.
2. NASA awards 425 million to Boeing for fuel-efficient airliner research
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) awarded $ 425 million to Boeing for the agency's sustainable flight demonstrator project.
- Boeing and NASA will work together to build, test, and fly a full-scale demonstrator aircraft.
- They will also validate technologies, that aimed to lower emissions.
- NASA will invest $425 million and the remaining amount of the agreement funding (estimated at 725 million dollars) will be contributed by the Boeing and its partners.
3. Shubman Gill broke records of Virat Kohli and Sachin Tendulkar
- Shubman Gill (23) has become the fifth Indian player to score a double-hundred in the One Day International (ODI) match against New Zealand.
- With this feat, he has broken several records including the fastest Indian to score 1,000 runs in ODI cricket (19 ODI innings).
- He has also broken the records of Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli, who complete 1,000 runs in 24 innings.
- He also broke Tendulkar's record of the highest individual score against New Zealand in an ODI.
4. India announces 100 million Maldivian Rufiyaa for development projects
- During the visit to Maldives, EAM Dr. S Jaishankar announced an additional grant of 100 Million Maldivian Rufiyaa for community development projects in Maldives.
- He also witnessed an MoU between Maldivian National University and Kochi University of Science & Technology.
- He has also announced that India has handed over two sea ambulances to help the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF).
- India has completed 23 out of 45 impactful community development projects.
5. PM Modi inaugurated projects in Karnataka, Maharashtra
- PM Modi has laid the foundation stone and inaugurated several projects in the northern districts of Yadgiri, and Kalaburagi (Karnataka), and Maharashtra.
- Developmental projects in Yadgiri district: Related to irrigation, drinking water, and NH development project
- Kalaburagi district: Distribution of title deeds to the eligible beneficiaries of newly declared revenue villages.
- Maharashtra: Inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of projects worth around ₹38,800 crores
6. Tourism Ministry to organize 1st Global Tourism Investors Summit
- The Ministry of Tourism will organize the first Global Tourism Investors Summit from 10th to 12th April 2023 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- Aim: To bring together global policymakers and business leaders to understand and explore Tourism Business opportunities in India
- In this regard, Tourism Ministry has organized a Roadshow for the Northern region, Chandigarh.
- Focus: Promoting India as an investment destination for travel, tourism, and hospitality
7. Army organised ‘Sainya Ranakshetram 2.0’ Seminar-cum-workshop
- The second edition of “SAINYA RANAKSHETRAM 2.0” was organized by the Indian Army under the aegis of HQ Army Training Command from October 2022 to January 2023.
- Aim: To provide a platform to identify indigenous talent in niche domains and enhance the standard of training in domains of Cyber Deterrence, Security Software Coding, Electro Magnetic Spectrum Operations.
- The winners of the event were felicitated by Gen Manoj Pande (Chief of the Army Staff).
Banking & Finance
8. Mastercard expands programme to promote STEM studies among girl students
- Mastercard has launched the new phase of its flagship programme 'Girls4Tech' in India.
- This programme is supported by the Mastercard Impact Fund and American India Foundation.
- Aim: To reach female students across the country by 2024 to encourage them to take up STEM education.
- STEM refers to Science, Technology, engineering and mathematics.
- STEM courses will be offered to girls aged 8 to 14.
- In 2020-21, the programme reached 17,820 girls across three districts in TN.
9. Adani, Ashok Leyland to develop Asia's first hydrogen-mining truck
- Adani Enterprises, Ashok Leyland, and Ballard Power have signed a deal to develop Asia's first hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Truck (FCET) for mining logistics and transportation.
- The FCET is scheduled to be launched in India in 2023.
- The demonstration project will be led by Adani Enterprises Limited.
- Ballard will supply the FCmoveTM fuel cell engine for the hydrogen truck.
- Ashok Leyland will provide the vehicle platform and technical support.
National & International Appointments
10. Vedanta's Cairn Oil & Gas appoints Nick Walker as new CEO
- Vedanta's Cairn Oil & Gas has selected Nick Walker as the new chief executive officer (CEO) of the company, with effect from January 5, 2023.
- Prior to this post, he served as the president and CEO at Lundin Energy.
- He has also worked in various companies like BP, Talisman Energy, and Africa Oil.
- He has over 30 years of diverse international experience in technical, commercial, and executive leadership roles.
Honours & Awards
11. ‘Naanera’ bags ‘Golden Kailasha’ award in Ajanta-Ellora film festival
- “Naanera”, a Rajasthani film has bagged the ‘Golden Kailasha’ award for the best movie at the 8th Ajanta-Ellora film festival, organised in Aurangabad from January 11 to 15.
- It was directed by Deepankar Prakash.
- It has also bagged awards for best director, best screenplay, and best editor.
- Best Actress: Akshatha Pandavapura
- Best Actor: Jeetu Kamal (Bengali film: Aparajito)
- As many as 55 films were screened in this five day film festival.
12. Laxman Rawat clinched NSCI Snooker Open Crown
- Laxman Rawat of Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (PSPB) has defeated Aditya Mehta (his fellow PSPB challenger) by 9-6 to win the final of the ‘Baulkline’ NSCI All India Snooker Open 2023.
- Cash prize: Rs 3 lakh (winner); Rs 1.5 lakh (Runner-up)
- NSCI Snooker Open Crown is a snooker tournament, organized by the National Sports Club of India (NSCI).
- This is open to players from all over India and features a best-of-17-frame final.