1. Saurashtra defeated Bengal to win its second Ranji Trophy title 2023
- Saurashtra has defeated Bengal by nine wickets to lift their second Ranji Trophy title 2023, organized at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
- Saurashtra captain Jaydev Unadkat was declared Man of the Match for his impressive performance.
- While Batter Arpit Vasavada was named the player of the series.
- Most runs: Mayank Agarwal (Karnataka) (990)
- Most wickets: Jalaj Saxena (Kerala) (50)
- Saurashtra won their first title in 2019-20 after beating Bengal.
2. India secured bronze in the Badminton Asia Mixed Team Championship 2023
- Team India won the bronze medal at the Asia Mixed Team Championships 2023, held at the Dubai Exhibition Centre in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from 14 to 19 February 2023.
- P.V. Sindhu-led side faced a 2-3 defeat against China in the semifinals and settled for the bronze medal.
- Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand won the Women’s Doubles.
- While team China won the Gold medal, South Korea won the Silver medal.
3. UAE, India launch the UAE Chapter of the Business Council
- The UAE and India have launched the UAE India Business Council - UAE Chapter (UIBCUC).
- Aim: To robust the economic ties and support their joint mission to increase bilateral trade and investment
- Dr. Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi (UAE Minister of State for Foreign Trade) has launched the UAE India Business Council - UAE Chapter (UIBC-UC) in Dubai.
- Shared Goals:
- To increase the bilateral trade to $100 billion
- To attract $75 billion in investment from the UAE to India
Science & Technology
4. APJ Abdul Kalam Satellite Launch Vehicle Mission-2023 launched
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam International Foundation and Space Zone India in association with Martin Foundation launched the APJ Abdul Kalam Satellite launch vehicle mission 2023 in Chengalpattu, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- It can be used for weather research and to assess atmospheric conditions and radiation.
- It was designed and constructed by students from grades 6 to 12 from different parts of the nation including 200 students from the fishermen's community.
Banking & Finance
5. GST council will set up Appellate Tribunal for dispute redressal
- FM Nirmala Sitharaman announced that the GST Council adopted the Group of Ministers (GoM) report on the GST Appellate Tribunal with certain modifications.
- The GoM on Goods and Services Tax Appellate Tribunals was set up under the chairmanship of Haryana Deputy CM Dushyant Chautala in July 2022.
- The tribunals should consist of two judicial members.
- One technical member each from the Centre and States, besides a retired Supreme Court Judge as president.
Banking & Finance
6. GBBC Digital Finance join the IOSCO
- GBBC Digital Finance has joined the International Organisation of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) as an affiliate member.
- GBBC Digital Finance has joined the Affiliate Members Consultative Committee, which is the 70th member of the committee.
- This committee contributes to IOSCO policy and standards development.
- IOSCO is a global organization that creates and advocates for global securities standards.
- It consists of 35 national securities regulators.
Banking & Finance
7. First G20 meeting of Finance Ministers to be held in Bengaluru
- The first G20 meeting of Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors under the G20 Indian Presidency will be held on the 24th and 25th of February in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das will chair the meeting.
- It will see the participation of Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of the G20 members, invitee members, and heads of International Organisations.
8. Parshottam Rupala launches Sagar Parikrama Phase-III from Hazira Port
- Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying Parshottam Rupala launched the Sagar Parikrama Phase-III from Hazira Port, Gujarat.
- It started towards the coastal line of Maharashtra at Satpati, Vasai, Versova, and Parikrama and ended at Sasson Dock, Mumbai.
- Aim: To disseminate information on various fisheries-related schemes and programs being implemented by the government
- It also aimed to promote responsible fisheries and protect marine ecosystems.
Banking & Finance
9. Bank of Maharashtra tops list of public sector lenders in loan growth
- According to an analysis of the latest financial results of public sector banks (PSBs) showed that the Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has emerged as the top performer in terms of loan growth percentage during the third quarter of 2022-23.
- The BoM recorded a 21.67% increase in gross advances on a year-on-year basis.
- BoM was followed by the Union Bank of India (19.80%) growth.
- While the State Bank of India (SBI) ranked fourth with 16.91% rise in advances growth.
10. Soil Health Card Day 2023: 19th February
- India observed the 8th edition of the Soil Health Card Day on 19 February 2023 to commemorate the launch of the Soil Health Card Scheme.
- It provides information to farmers on the nutrient status of their soil along with recommendations on appropriate dosages of nutrients to be applied for improving soil health.
- It also aims to provide financial assistance to farmers to apply corrective measures for deficiencies.
- In 2015, PM Modi has launched this scheme in Rajasthan.
Commentswrite a comment