National & International Appointments
1. SEBI approves appointment of BSE's Ashish Kumar Chauhan as new head of NSE
- SEBI has given its clearance for the appointment of Ashish Kumar Chauhan as the new managing director and CEO of the National Stock Exchange for five years.
- He will be taking over the helm of NSE from Vikram Limaye.
- He is currently served as the MD and CEO of BSE, tenure of Chauhan is scheduled to end in November 2022.
- He is a technocrat from IIT and IIM and considered as the father of modern financial derivatives in India due to his work at NSE from 1993-2000.
2. PV Sindhu wins maiden 2022 Singapore Open Title
- PV Sindhu has lifted first Super 500 title of her career after defeating reigning Asian champion, Wang Zhi Yi of China by 21-9, 11-21, 21-15 in the final of the Singapore Open.
- This is her first 500 or better since the world championship win in 2019. This is her first 500 or better final in 2022.
- Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (Indonesia) won the men’s singles title at badminton’s Singapore Open 2022 after defeating Japanese player Naraoka Kodai.
3. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce wins 5th World 100m Title in Eugene, Oregon
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (Jamaica) has clinched her record fifth world 100m title in Eugene, Oregon.
- She has previously won the blue riband event in 2009, 2013, 2015 and 2019, won in a championship record of 10.67 seconds.
- Shericka Jackson (Jamaica) won silver in a personal best of 10.73sec and four-time Olympic sprint champion, Elaine Thompson-Herah (Jamaica) has claimed bronze (10.81).
- Fred Kerley from US won gold in the men's world 100m title.
4. INS Sindhudhvaj decommissioned after 35 years of service
- Indian Navy has decommissioned INS Sindhudhvaj, a Kilo-class submarine, acquired from Russia in 1987.
- India had acquired 8 of the submarines, designated 877 EKM, between 1986 and 1991 and two more were acquired between 1998 and 2000.
- India has four Type 209 submarines of German origin and four of the indigenously manufactured Scorpene class of French origin.
- Two more Scorpene submarines will be delivered to the Indian Navy by 2023 end.
5. Renowned artist Achuthan Kudallur passes away
- Well-known artist, Achuthan Kudallur, known for his abstract art, has passed away at the age of 77.
- He has participated in several art shows and was a well-regarded name in South Indian contemporary art.
- He is a recipient of the national and Tamil Nadu state Lalit Kala Akademi Awards.
- He was born in 1945 in Kerala, but lived alone in Chennai, and pursued a degree in Civil Engineering and revelled as an Indian Asian Modern and Contemporary painter.
6. Nelson Mandela International Day 2022: 18 July
- The world marks Nelson Mandela International Day annually on July 18 in the memory of the first democratically elected President of South Africa.
- The United Nations (UN) had declared July 18 as Nelson Mandela Day in 2009, a South African anti-apartheid activist who served as the first President from 1994 to 1999.
- The theme 2022: “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”.
- Nelson Mandela was conferred with the Nobel Peace Prize in October 1993.
Honours & Awards
7. NAARM received Sardar Patel Award of ICAR
- The National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM) has bagged the Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institute Award 2021 (in the Large Institute Category) for its overall performance.
- Ch Srinivasa Rao (Director of NAARM) has received the award from the Minister of Agriculture and Farmers' Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar.
- Set up: 1976
- HQ: Hyderabad
- NAARM was established by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
8. Defence ministry sets up committee to conduct performance, efficiency audit
- The defence ministry has set up an apex committee to conduct "performance and efficiency" audit of capital procurements, logistics, inventory and maintenance of assets of the armed forces.
- The committee is headed by the defence secretary.
- Committee will advise Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh on measures for overall improvement in strengthening of internal oversight and risk management framework in various aspects of functioning of the ministry.
Banking & Finance
9. DBS named ‘World’s Best SME Bank’ by Euromoney for second time
- DBS has been honoured with the 2022 global best SME bank by the leading UK-based financial publication Euromoney, for the second time since 2018.
- The DBS bank also won three first-time awards at Euromoney's Awards for (1) World's Best 'Financial Innovation of the year' 2022, (2) 'Asia's Best Bank for Wealth Management 2022', (3) 'Asia's Best Bank for SME award 2022'.
- The World's Best Bank for 2022: Bank of America
- The World's best investment bank 2022: Goldman Sachs
10. MSME Minister Narayan Rane launches 'Mobile Electric Charging’ app
- Union Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME), Narayan Rane has launched ‘Repos Pay', a Mobile Electric Charging platform and ‘Phy-gital’, a Fintech Platform at ‘Fuelling India 2022’.
- Repos Pay: One can order a Mobile Electric Charging Vehicle on app and charge their vehicles.
- Phy-gital: It is a Fintech Platform that will bring credit to fuel consumers (Buy Now Pay Later) through Technology.
- Repos: Founded by Aditi Bhosale Walunj and Chetan Walunj in 2017.