1. Indian Navy takes part in US Navy-led SEACAT exercises
- Indian Navy participated in U.S. Navy led Southeast Asia Cooperation and Training (SEACAT) military exercise in Singapore.
- This military exercise included navies of 20 other partner nations like Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Canada, France, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Maldives, New Zealand, South Korea, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, East Timor, UK, US, and Vietnam
- SEACAT began in 2002 and this is the 20th edition of the exercise.
2. Four new sites of India added to Ramsar wetlands list
- Four more wetlands from India have been added to the list of Ramsar sites, giving it status of ‘Wetland of International Importance’
- These 4 sites are:
- Thol, Gujarat
- Wadhwana, Gujarat
- Sultanpur, Haryana
- Bhindawas, Haryana
- With this, total Ramsar sites in India have reached to 46, covering 1,083,322 hectares
- Ramsar Convention is an international treaty for conservation and sustainable use of wetlands. It is named after Ramsar, where the convention was signed in 1971
3. Ministry of Social Justice launches e-study platform titled, TAPAS
- Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched an online portal titled TAPAS (Training for Augmenting Productivity and Services) to provide free of cost filmed lectures/courses/material
- Presently there are 5 courses under TAPAS: Drug (Substance) Abuse Prevention, Geriatric/Elderly Care, Care and Management of Dementia, Transgender Issues and comprehensive course on Social Defence Issues
- TAPAS is the initiative of National Institute of Social Defence (NISD)
4. HCL Foundation launches ‘My e-Haat’ portal to empower artisans
- HCL Foundation has launched an online portal titled as, ‘My e-Haat’ to empower artisans and strengthen the value chain of the handicraft sector in India.
- My e-Haat will enable artisans and primary producers to conduct their business, by listing and showcasing their products directly to customers, minimizing the informal intermediaries and the long supply chains.
- More than 30 partners from eight states with over 600 products are listed on the portal at present
5. PM Modi sets India’s target to become energy independent by 2047
- PM Modi has set the target of becoming energy independent country by 2047, when India will celebrate 100th year of Independence
- PM has announced ‘Mission Circular Economy’ that will replace petroleum with other forms of energy to make India achieve self-reliance in energy production.
- It will include a mix of electric mobility, gas-based economy, doping ethanol in petrol and making India hub for hydrogen production
- Govt has decided to set up National Hydrogen Mission
6. 75 new Vande Bharat trains to connect all parts of India
- PM Modi has announced that 75 'Vande Bharat' trains will connect different parts of India in 75 weeks to mark the ongoing 'Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav'.
- Vande Bharat: Indigenous semi-high speed train set is being given a boost, with the Railways gearing to roll out at least 10 of them, linking around 40 cities, by August 2022 to commemorate 75 years of Independence.
- Maiden run of Vande Bharat train was flagged off by Modi on New Delhi-Varanasi route on February 15, 2019.
7. Former India defender Chinmoy Chatterjee passes away
- Eminent India-international footballer Chinmoy Chatterjee (68 years) passed away
- He played for the three Maidan heavyweights in his prime in 1970-80s and was a member of Indian team at 1978 Bangkok Asian Games where they finished 4th in quarterfinal league.
- He played for Mohun Bagan, East Bengal and Mohammedan Sporting, during his domestic career.
- He also represented Bengal in the Santosh Trophy four times.
8. Chhattisgarh gets 4 new districts making administrative districts to 32
- Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel has announced the creation of four new districts and 18 new tehsils in the state.
- Four new districts are: Mohla Manpur, Sarangarh-Bilaigarh, Shakti, Manendragarh.
- With the creation of four new districts, total number of administrative districts have reached 32 in Chhattisgarh
- Apart from this, garden will be developed exclusively for women in every district headquarter and municipality, known as Minimata Udyan.
Banking & Finance
9. Indian Navy inks MoU with IDFC First Bank for Honour FIRST
- Indian Navy has signed MoU with IDFC First Bank to initiate premium banking solution titled as ‘Honour FIRST’ for serving personnel and veterans of the Indian Navy.
- Features of Honour FIRST:
- Free enhanced Personal Accident Insurance cover of Rs. 46 lakhs for both on-duty and off-duty incidents.
- Covers accidental death but also total and partial permanent disability
- Includes child education grant of Rs. 4 lakhs and marriage cover of Rs 2 lakh.
10. Government announces ‘Prime Minister Gatishakti Scheme’
- PM Modi has announced Pradhan Mantri Gatishakti scheme, worth Rs 100 lakh crores while addressing the nation on 75th Independence Day from Red Fort
- Aim: To adopt holistic and integrated approach in infrastructure growth and create employment opportunities for the youth of the country.
- Government will soon announce Master Plan for the scheme to help boost productivity of industries, and boost economic growth of the country.
11. Plastic Waste Management Amendment Rules, 2021 notified
- Union Ministry of Environment has notified ‘Plastic Waste Management Amendment Rules, 2021’, that prohibits identified single use plastic items which have low utility and high littering potential by 2022.
- Manufacture, import, stocking, distribution, sale and use of following single-use plastic, including polystyrene and expanded polystyrene, commodities shall be prohibited with effect from 1st July, 2022.