1. India beat Nepal to clinch SAFF U-17 Championship Title in Colombo
- India has secured the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) U-17 Championship title after defeating Nepal by 4-0 in the final in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- India has played well to lift the title for the fourth time (2013, 2017, 2019, 2022).
- India captain, Vanlalpeka Guite has named the Most Valuable Player of the Tournament, while goalkeeper, Sahil won the Best Goalkeeper awards
- SAFF members: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
- SAFF HQ: Dhaka
Summits & Conferences
2. India invites Bangladesh as guest country during its G-20 presidency
- The government of India has decided to invite Bangladesh, Egypt, Mauritius, Netherlands, Nigeria, Oman, Singapore, Spain and UAE as Guest Countries to take part in the G 20 meeting during its Presidency.
- International Organisations: UN, IMF, World Bank, WHO, WTO, ILO, FSB and OECD and AU, AUDA-NEPAD and ASEAN, ISA, CDRI and ADB.
- This is a part of the G20 tradition of inviting some Guest Countries and International Organisations (IO) to its meetings and summit.
3. NSDF signs MoUs with NTPC and REC for development of sports in India
- National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) has signed an MoU with National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) and Rural Electrification Corporation (REC).
- Reason: For the development of sports in India.
- NTPC and REC have been provided financial support of 215 crore rupees for the development of sports.
- NTPC: Contributed an amount of Rs115 crore for Archery (5 years).
- REC: Committed an amount of Rs 100 crore to support Women’s Hockey, Athletics and Boxing (3 years).
4. Indore becomes India's first ‘Smart City’ with ‘Smart Addresses’
- Indore (MP) has implemented a fully digital addressing system that makes Indore the first city in India to do so.
- For this smart city initiative, an MoU was signed with the firm Pataa Navigations.
- Pataa: This organisation has developed patented technology and is working with ISRO to develop a digital addressing system for the nation.
- Users of the Pataa App can upload images of their homes, landmarks, etc, along with their addresses in the full text.
5. National Engineers Day: 15th September
- India observes National Engineer’s Day on September 15 every year to recognise the contribution of engineers in the development of the nation.
- This day commemorates the birth anniversary of Sir Moksha Gundam Visvesvaraya, who is considered one of the greatest engineers of India.
- MV was the Chief Engineer of Krishna Raja Sagar dam in the north-west suburb of Mysuru city.
- Along with India, Sri Lanka and Tanzania also celebrate Engineers Day on September 15, 2022.
6. Vinesh Phogat wins bronze in World Wrestling Championships in Serbia
- Vinesh Phogat has clinched a bronze in 53 kilogram category at the World Championships, in Belgrade, Serbia.
- She becomes the first Indian woman wrestler to win two medals at the World Championships.
- She has defeated reigning European champion, Emma Malmgren of Sweden.
- This is her second bronze medal at the Championships.
- She had previously won the bronze in the 2019 edition of the tournament at Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
Summits & Conferences
7. PM Modi on a two-day visit to Uzbekistan to attend SCO Summit
- PM Narendra Modi is on two-day visit to Samarkand in Uzbekistan from September 15 to attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit.
- Mr. Modi has received an invitation from Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev.
- Agenda: To review the grouping's activities over the past two decades and discuss the prospects of multilateral cooperation.
- The SCO is an inter-governmental organisation founded in Shanghai in June 2001
Banking & Finance
8. SBI joins Rs 5-trillion market cap club
- SBI has hit the mark of Rs 5-trillion in market capitalisation (market cap) for the first time after its shares touched a record high of Rs 564.45, up 1% on the BSE in intra-day trade in an otherwise weak market.
- With a market cap of Rs 5.03 trillion, SBI stood at the seventh position in the overall market cap ranking.
- After, HDFC Bank (market cap of Rs 8.38 trillion) and ICICI Bank (market cap of Rs 6.33 trillion), SBI has become the third lender in the country.
Banking & Finance
9. ICICI Lombard introduces digital voice agent to track claim status
- ICICI Lombard has launched an AI-powered digital voice agent in collaboration with an AI-based SaaS voice automation platform named Skit.ai.
- Feature: It will assist customers with the status of their insurance claims for health and motor insurance policies.
- The Digital Voice Agent has already started helping customers to complete the process of receiving updates on the status of their claims in under a minute.
- ICICI Lombard CEO: Bhargav Dasgupta
10. Mastercard partnered with UNDP on Lighthouse MASSIV
- Mastercard Lighthouse MASSIV has partnered with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Aim: To amplifying the private sector’s role in creating significant positive impact on people.
- It is a free of charge startup partnership program dedicated to helping one billion people live more prosperous and secure lives by 2025.
- Purpose: To support the impact tech companies on their impact measurement and management and connect them to the broader UN initiatives.
National & International Appointments
11. Mukul Rohatgi appointed as Attorney General of India for second time
- Senior Advocate, Mukul Rohatgi is set to be appointed the 14th Attorney General for India again after KK Venugopal vacates the post.
- Mukul Rohatgi has served as AG between June 2014 and June 2017.
- At the end of June this year, AG Venugopal’s tenure was extended for a period of three months or “until further orders”.
- This extension is set to expire on September 30.
- Rohtagi will take the seat of the country’s top law officer from 1st October.
12. India launches joint whitepaper on ‘Urban Wastewater Scenario in India’
- India has launched a joint whitepaper on ‘Urban Wastewater Scenario in India’ with Denmark at World Water Congress and Exhibition 2022 in Copenhagen.
- Aim: Capturing the current status of wastewater treatment in India and potential pathways for future treatment structures, co-creation, and collaborations
- The event was attended by Jal Shakti Minister, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat along with Danish Environment Minister Lea Wermelin.
13. India's first forest university to come up in Telangana
- The Telangana legislative assembly has approved the University of Forestry (UOF) Act 2022.
- The ‘University of Forestry (UOF) will be the first of its kind in the country.
- With only Russia and China having forest universities in the world, globally, this will be the third university of forestry.
- The Government of Telangana has decided to expand Forest College and Research Institute (FCRI) in Hyderabad into a full-fledged university.