Honours & Awards
1. Carlos Saura to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at 53rd IFFI, Goa
- Carlos Saura (Spanish Film Director) will be conferred the Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award 2022 at the 53rd edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) at Goa.
- This announcement was made by L Murugan (MoS, Information and Broadcasting).
- Carlos was honoured with the Golden Bear for Best Director at Berlin International Film Festival for Deprisa Deprisa in 1981.
- Spotlight country: France
- Opening Film: Alma and Oskar
- Closing film: Perfect Number
2. Mary Kom, PV Sindhu, Mirabai elected as IOA Athletes Commission member
- MC Mary Kom, PV Sindhu, Mirabai Chanu and Gagan Narang were among 10 eminent sportspersons elected as members of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Athletes Commission.
- Other six members: Shiva Keshavan, Sharath Kamal, Rani Rampal, Bhavani Devi, Bajrang Lal and Om Prakash Singh Karhana.
- All the 10 elected members of the apex body are Olympians.
- As per the new constitution of IOA, the athletes commission is to have equal representation of male and female members.
3. India wins silver at 2022 Para Shooting World C'ship in Mixed 50m Pistol
- The Indian pistol team of Singhraj, Manish Narwal and Deepender Singh has bagged a silver medal in the P4- Mixed 50m Pistol SH1 event at the 2022 Para Shooting World C'ship 2022, held at Al Ain, UAE.
- Indian finished with a total score of 1579-13x.
- The South Korean team of Sea Kyun Park, Aeekyung Moon and Jungnam Kim, won the gold medal with an aggregate score of 1592-21x.
- While, the Turkey has secured the bronze medal with a total of 1574-23x.
Honours & Awards
4. Sharath Kamal to receive 2022 Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna
- Sharath Kamal Achanta (Table Tennis player) has been selected for 2022 Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award and will be awarded on 30th November by President of India.
- Arjuna Awards: This year 25 sportspersons have been selected for this award.
- Five coaches have been chosen for Dronacharya Award in the regular category and three coaches in lifetime category.
- Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime Achievement: Ashwini Akkunji C, Dharamvir Singh, B.C Suresh and Nir Bahadur Gurung.
Science & Technology
5. G7 launches climate ‘Shield’ fund
- The G7 nations has launched a plan named 'Global Shield' at the 27th UN Climate Change Conference on November 14, 2022.
- It is a climate fund, and provide funds to disaster-hit countries.
- It is backed by 170 million euros in funding from Germany and 40 million euros from other donors including Denmark and Ireland.
- It is coordinated by Germany and the V20 group.
- The V20 refers to the Vulnerable Twenty Group of Ministers of the Climate Vulnerable Forum.
6. World population crosses 8-billion mark: UN
- According to the ‘World Population Prospects 2022’ report, which was released on World Population Day (11 July), the global population reach the mark of eight billion on 15th November 2022.
- It was also projected that India will surpass China as the world’s most populous country in 2023.
- The latest projections by UN has also suggested that the global population could grow to around 8.5 billion in 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050.
7. Janjatiya Gaurav Divas 2022: 15th November
- Janjatiya Gaurav Divas is observed on 15th November across the nation, to commemorate the contributions of tribal communities in the nation's history and culture.
- On this day, President Droupadi Murmu has paid tributes to Bhagwan Birsa Munda at Ulihatu village in Jharkhand.
- Birsa Munda:
- He was born on 15th November 1875 in a Munda tribe.
- Location: Chotanagpur Plateau area (Khunti district of present Jharkhand).
- He was died at 25 in British custody at the Ranchi jail
8. India wins gold in 10m air rifle mixed event at Asian Airgun C'ship
- Arjun Babuta and Mehuli Ghosh clinched the gold medal in 10 m air rifle in the mixed team category at Asian Airgun Championship 2022, being held in Daegu, South Korea.
- In the 10 m air rifle mixed team junior event, Divyansh Singh Panwar and Ramita won gold medal against Sri Karthik Sabari Raj Ravishankar and Nancy.
- Kanishka Dagar clinched bronze in 10 m air pistol youth women’s event.
- While, Sandeep Bishnoi received gold in the 10 m air pistol junior men’s event.
9. Veteran Telugu actor Krishna passes away
- Veteran Telugu actor, Ghattamnaneni Siva Rama Krishna Murthy, known as Krishna has been passed away at 80 due to cardiac arrest.
- He was the father of Telugu superstar Mahesh Babu.
- He was active in the Telugu film industry for over six decades and has worked in over 350 films.
- He began his career with minor roles in films such as ‘Kula Gothralu’ (1961), ‘Paravu Prathishtha’ (1963) and ‘Padandi Mundhuku’ (1962).
- He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2009.
National & International Appointments
10. Gaurav Dwivedi appointed as Prasar Bharati CEO
- A 1995-batch officer of Chhattisgarh cadre, Senior IAS officer, Gaurav Dwivedi has been appointed the Chief Executive Officer of Prasar Bharati for five years.
- Presently, he is posted as Principal Secretary, Commercial Tax, in the Chhattisgarh government.
- Prior to this, he was also served as the CEO of MyGovIndia, which was launched by PM Narendra Modi in 2014.
- Prasar Bharati founded: 23 November 1997; HQ: New Delhi
11. Actor Kevin Conroy, voice of Batman's animated series, passes away
- Actor Kevin Conroy, who gave his voice to Batman on Warner Bros’ TV show Batman: The Animated Series, has been passed away at 66.
- The acclaimed animated series, which launched in 1992 and continued until 1996, is where Conroy first voiced Batman.
- He also appeared in several DC Universe Animated Original Movies, including Batman: Gotham Knight (2008), Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009), and Justice League vs. the Fatal Five (2019).
12. Jaipur International Airport receives Aerodrome licence from DGCA
- Jaipur International Airport Limited has received the Aerodrome licence from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
- Earlier, the Airport Authority of India (AAI) was the licence holder.
- Now the private player, which is operating the Jaipur airport since October 2021, has become the new licence holder.
- The licence is given to an airport operator for ensuring complete management of the airport in accordance with the concession agreement.
Banking & Finance
13. Bank of Maharashtra tops PSU lenders’ list in Q2 Credit Growth
- According to published quarterly numbers of public sector banks (PSBs), Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has emerged as the top performer among public sector lenders in terms of loan growth in percentage terms during the second quarter of 2022-23.
- BoM has recorded a 28.62% increase in gross advances at Rs 1,48,216 crore at the end of September 2022.
- It was followed by Union Bank of India, State Bank of India.