1. First ever Women’s IPL Season to be held in March 2023
- BCCI official has confirmed that the first ever Women’s IPL will be starting from March 2023.
- This will be held in a one-month window and in all likelihood with five teams.
- The BCCI officials have also discussed that the March window has been found for the tournament after the Women’s T20 World Cup in South Africa.
- BCCI president: Sourav Ganguly; BCCI secretary: Jay Shah; BCCI Headquarters: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
Honours & Awards
2. London home of Dadabhai Naoroji received Blue Plaque honour
- The south London home of Dadabhai Naoroji has been honoured with a commemorative Blue Plaque.
- The red-brick home now has a plaque which mentions: “Dadabhai Naoroji 1825-1917 Indian Nationalist and MP lived here”.
- He was born in Mumbai, who known as the “grand old man of India”.
- The Blue Plaque scheme is run by the English Heritage charity and honours the historic significance of particular buildings across London.
Banking & Finance
3. CCI approves merger of HDFC with HDFC Bank
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the merger proposal of HDFC Bank and its parent HDFC Ltd.
- The proposed combination envisages the merger of HDFC Investments and HDFC Holdings with HDFC Ltd in the first step and subsequently, the merger of HDFC Ltd into HDFC Bank.
- Benefits of merger: Increased scale of business, new product lines, a strong balance sheet; reduction in unsecured loans
- Chairman of HDFC Limited: Deepak Parekh
4. Space Kidz India unfurled Indian flag 30 kilometers above earth
- Space Kidz India has unfurled the Indian flag about 30 kilometres above the Earth on Independence Day (15th August).
- The flag was sent to an altitude of 1 lakh 6 thousand feet above the planet on a balloon that unfurled it.
- Space Kidz India:
- This organization is creating 'young scientists for the country.
- The organization has launched a satellite into Low Earth Orbit.
- AzadiSAT was developed by 750 girl students from across India to mark the 75 years of Independence.
Banking & Finance
5. Razorpay, the only Indian company to be listed on ‘Forbes Cloud 100 List’
- Razorpay has become the first Indian company to be named in the 2022 Forbes Cloud 100 List in the definitive ranking of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world.
- The ranking has been published by Forbes in partnership with Bessemer Venture Partners and Salesforce Ventures.
- Razorpay has entered the list for the second time, placed at 49th for being a Financial Solutions Software.
- The list has been topped by Stripe (CEO: Patrick Collison)
6. Meghalaya to host Second edition of North East Olympics in October
- Meghalaya is ready to host the upcoming second edition of the North East Olympics from 30th October to 6th November in Shillong.
- The first edition of Games was held in Manipur in 2018 with 12 disciplines.
- This edition of the Games will be special as Meghalaya is celebrating the 50th year of its Statehood.
- In this edition, about 4,000 participants from eight North Eastern States will be competing in 18 disciplines at 13 venues spread across Shillong.
7. Former co-CEO Anshu Jain of Deutsche Bank passes away
- Former India-born co-Chief Executive Officer of Deutsche Bank, Anshu Jain has passed away at 59 after a long battle with duodenal cancer.
- He started his career at Wall Street and also worked at financial major Merrill Lynch.
- He was appointed to the Management Board of Deutsche Bank in 2009, where he was responsible for the Corporate and Investment Bank division from 2010.
- He became the Co-CEO of Deutsche Bank in 2012.
- Current CEO of Deutsche bank: Christian Sewing
National & International Organizations
8. ILO released Global Employment Trends for Youth 2022
- The International Labour Organisation (ILO) has released the Global Employment Trends for Youth 2022 report, which states that the unemployment rate for 15 - 24-year-olds stands at 15.6%.
- The report is a part of Global Call to Action for a “human-centred recovery from the Covid-19 crisis”, which was adopted by the ILO in June 2021.
- In 2022, 27.4% of young women globally are employed as compared to 40.3% of young men.
- ILO Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
National & International Appointments
9. Centre appoints Shah Faesal as Deputy Secretary in Tourism Ministry
- The Central government has appointed IAS, Shah Faesal as Deputy Secretary in the Tourism Ministry.
- He is a 2010 batch IAS topper of erstwhile Jammu and Kashmir cadre.
- He worked in various positions in the Jammu & Kashmir administration.
- He had resigned from the services in January 2019 and joined politics, which he later quit in August 2020.
- Minister of Tourism: G. Kishan Reddy
- Minister of State for Tourism: Shripad Yesso Naik and Ajay Bhatt
10. IMD partners with Japan and UNDP to accelerate climate action
- The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has partnered with Japan, and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on Climate Change.
- Aim: To hasten climate action across 10 states and Union Territories in India.
- 10 States: Bihar, Delhi–NCR, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, and Uttar Pradesh
- UNDP India has received climate grant of $5.16 million from Japan for the project of IMD-UNDP.
- UNDP HQ: New York, U.S.