National & International Appointments
1. Nadir Godrej appointed as Chairman of Godrej Industries
- Nadir Godrej has been appointed as the Chairman of Godrej Industries with effect from 1st October 2021.
- He is currently the Managing Director of Godrej Industries (GIL).
- He will replace Adi Godrej, who will continue to serve as the Chairman of Godrej Group.
- Godrej Industries (GIL) is the holding company of the Godrej group
- Headquarters of GIL: Mumbai.
2. India celebrates 75th Independence Day
- India celebrated 75th Independence Day of India on August 15, 2021 with unfurling the Tricolour at the historic Red Fort in New Delhi
- PM Modi hoisted the National Flag, flower petals were showered for the first time at the venue by two Mi 17 1V helicopters of the Indian Air Force in Amrit Formation
- 75th year of Independence is being celebrated as ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’, which will continue till August 15, 2023.
3. Jitendra Singh released ‘IndiGau’ for indigenous cattle breeds conservation
- Jitendra Singh has released ‘IndiGau’ chip, which is India’s first Cattle Genomic Chip for the conservation of pure varieties of indigenous cattle breeds like Gir, Kankrej, Sahiwal, Ongole etc.
- IndiGau chip has been developed by scientists of National Institute of Animal Biotechnology (NAIB), Hyderabad.
- It will help in achieving the goal of conservation of our own breeds with better characters and help towards doubling farmers’ income by 2022.
4. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs launched ‘SonChiraiya’ for SHG
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM), under the aegis of MoHUA has focused on equipping the urban poor women with adequate skills and opportunities, titled as SonChiraiya.
- It mobilizes women from urban poor households into SHGs and their federations to create a support system for these women.
- This initiative will certainly prove as a step towards increased visibility and global access for the products made by urban SHG women.
5. Ministry of Women and Child Development launches 2nd Phase of SAMVAD
- Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) has launched 2nd phase of SAMVAD (Support, Advocacy & Mental health interventions for children in Vulnerable circumstances And Distress)
- SAMVAD is a National Initiative for child protection, mental health and psychosocial care of children.
- The new initiative will begin work with Panchayati Raj systems to integrate child protection and mental health in aspirational districts across the country.
6. German Football Legend Gerd Müller passes away
- Former West Germany forward and the Bayern Munich football legend, Gerd Muller (75 years) passed away.
- He represented West Germany at international level, scoring 68 goals in 62 appearances, and at club level, he played for Bayern Munich, with which he scored a record 365 goals in 427 Bundesliga games.
- He was nicknamed as ‘Bomber der Nation’ (the nation’s Bomber) or simply Der Bomber for his scoring-prowess.
7. Afghanistan Prez Ashraf Ghani steps down as Taliban forces takes power
- Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani will shortly tender his resignation on August 15, 2021, as the government has surrendered to the Taliban forces, which entered Kabul and sought the unconditional surrender of the central government.
- Following this, a new interim government has been announced, which is likely to be headed by Ali Ahamd Jalali
- Taliban will declare Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan from Presidential Palace in Kabul.
8. NITI Aayog releases handbook to guide state governments
- NITI Aayog, Ministry of Power, Department of Science and Technology, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, and World Resources Institute India has jointly released ‘The Handbook for Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Implementation’.
- It provides a systematic and a holistic approach for adoptions by implementing authorities and other stakeholders involved in planning, authorization and execution of electric vehicles charging infrastructure.
National & International Organizations
9. WHO forms Advisory Group named SAGO to study emerging pathogens
- World Health Organization (WHO) has created new advisory group named as The International Scientific Advisory Group for Origins of Novel Pathogens (SAGO).
- SAGO will systematically study the emergence of future emerging pathogens with pandemic potential, and advise the development in this regard to WHO.
- WHO has made an open call for nominations to SAGO from the member countries, thus providing a transparent foundation for the new scientific advisory group.
10. ‘Operation Blue Freedom’ launched to create World Record at Siachen Glacier
- Virendra Kumar has flagged off pioneering world record expedition named as ‘Operation Blue Freedom’ from Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi on 75th Independence Day
- It comprises of disable people from across the country to reach Siachen Glacier to create a new World Record for the largest team of people with disabilities reaching the world’s highest battlefield.
- The team of people with disabilities were trained by ‘Team CLAW’ (Team of Armed Forces veterans).