1. India-Indonesia bilateral exercise 'Samudra Shakti-23' begins
- The 4th edition of the India-Indonesia bilateral exercise Samudra Shakti-23 is being organized in Batam, Indonesia from 14-19 May 2023.
- Aim: To enhance interoperability, jointness, and mutual cooperation between both navies
- India Navy has participated with INS Kavaratti, Indian Navy Dornier Maritime Patrol aircraft, and Chetak helicopter.
- While the Indonesian Navy participated with KRI Sultan Iskandar Muda, CN 235 Maritime Patrol Aircraft, and AS565 Panther Helicopter
2. Indian shooters Hriday Hazarika and Nancy Mandhotra bag silver medals
- Indian shooters, Hriday Hazarika and Nancy Mandhotra have bagged silver medals in the men’s and women’s 10-meter air rifle events at ISSF World Cup 2023 in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- In the 10m air pistol mixed team, Sarabjot Singh and Divya TS won gold.
- Rhythm Sangwan secured a bronze medal in the women's 25m pistol event.
- In the overall medals tally, India finished its campaign second behind China.
- The Baku meet is the penultimate stage of the ISSF World Cup 2023.
Science & Technology
3. NASA Launched the second Super Pressure Balloon
- The US space agency, NASA has launched a second football-stadium-sized, heavy-lift super pressure balloon (SPB), under its Scientific Balloon Program, from Wānaka Airport, New Zealand.
- The first scientific balloon was launched on April 16, following five failed attempts last year.
- Airways (New Zealand’s air navigation services provider) works with Nasa to launch the balloons, which inflate fully in flight to 532,000 cubic meters and carry a scientific payload.
4. Retail inflation drops 18-month low of 4.70 % in April 2023
- According to the data released by the National Statistical Office (NSO), Retail inflation (based on CPI) has been reduced to 4.70% in April 2023.
- While Consumer Food Price Index (CFPI) has also reduced to 3.84%, as compared to 4.79% in March 2023 and 8.31% in April 2022.
- In April 2023, Rural inflation stood at 4.68%, while urban inflation was at 4.85%.
- The Government had mandated the RBI to maintain retail inflation at 4% with a margin of 2% on either side.
5. AIIMS ties up with WHO, Duke-NUS for quality control
- The All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi (AIIMS) has collaborated with World Health Organization (WHO-SEARO) to ensure patient safety and quality control.
- A core committee for Patient Safety and Quality at AIlMS is being constituted for the implementation of advanced patient safety and quality initiatives.
- For this initiative, AIIMS will follow the learning curriculum proposed by WHO in collaboration with Duke-NUS.
Honours & Awards
6. Arinze Ifeakandu wins Dylan Thomas prize 2023
- Writer Arinze Ifeakandu has won Swansea University's Dylan Thomas Prize 2023 for a “kaleidoscopic reflection of queer life and love in Nigeria”.
- Dylan Thomas Prize is a recognition of literary works by authors aged 39 or under and is one of the most prestigious awards for young writers.
- His debut book is God’s Children Are Little Broken Things', which is a collection of nine short stories on the themes of queer life, love, and humanity.
Books & Authors
7. Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks co-author a new book on happiness
- Oprah Winfrey has co-authored a book titled 'Build the Life You Want: The Art and Science of Getting Happier' with author-educator Arthur C Brooks.
- The book is expected to be released on September 12, 2023, by Portfolio Books.
- This book will introduce readers to the incredible science of happiness, based on the best research available.
- Other books by Winfrey: What I Know for Sure, The Path Made Clear, and Food, Health, and Happiness
Banking & Finance
8. PayNearby launches ‘PayNearby Mall’ for small businesses and consumers
- PayNearby, a branchless banking and digital network in India, has launched a new meta-commerce platform called PayNearby Mall.
- This platform is designed to enable easy access to goods and services and will be integrated with the Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) platform.
- Aim: To upgrade every retailer in its million+ active network and help them meet the demand of their customers
- Founder, MD & CEO, PayNearby: Anand Kumar Bajaj
9. India's exports of agricultural products cross Rs. 4 lakh crore mark
- Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Narendra Singh Tomar attended the 8th meeting of Agriculture Ministers of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member countries through video conferencing.
- During the conference, he informed that India's exports of agricultural and allied products have crossed four lakh crore rupees.
- He has also highlighted India's performance in the agriculture sector and contribution to global food security with food grain production.
10. 71 million people internally displaced worldwide: IDMC
- According to the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC)'s annual report, the number of internally displaced people around the world reached 71 million as of the end of 2022.
- The number of movements in which people fled in search of safety and shelter was also unprecedented in 2022 with a figure of 60.9 million.
- The conflict in Ukraine triggered nearly 17 million displacements and monsoon floods in Pakistan triggered 8.2 million.
Commentswrite a comment