National & International Appointments
1. Greg Barclay re-elected as ICC chairman for two-year
- The ICC board has re-elected Greg Barclay as the Independent Chair of the International Cricket Council (ICC) for a second two-year term.
- He was unopposed following the withdrawal of Tavengwa Mukuhlani (Zimbabwe) from the process.
- He is an Auckland-based commercial lawyer.
- He was appointed as the ICC Chair in November 2020.
- Prior to this, he was the Chair of New Zealand Cricket (NZC) and was a director of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2015.
Banking & Finance
2. US Treasury removes India from Currency Monitoring List
- In November 2022, the United States Department of Treasury has removed India from its Currency Monitoring List.
- India had been on the list for the last two years.
- The US has also removed Italy, Mexico, Thailand and Vietnam from its List.
- The countries that have been removed from the list have met only one out of three criteria for two consecutive reports.
- The USA has retained China, Japan, Korea, Germany, Malaysia, Singapore, and Taiwan as a part of its list.
3. CSL to build India's first hydrogen fuel cell catamaran vessel
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd and IWAI have signed an agreement to build India's first hydrogen fuel cell catamaran vessel for Varanasi (UP).
- It has also signed MoU for the construction of six electric catamaran vessels for Uttar Pradesh and two for Guwahati.
- The hydrogen fuel cell catamaran vessel will have a seating capacity for 100 passengers.
- The electric hybrid vessels, designed for short-distance commute in riverine waters, will have seating capacity for 50 passengers.
4. RIL to make India's first multimodal logistics park
- Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has been awarded the project to build India's first multimodal logistics park (MMLP) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has announced that MMLP will be spread over 184 acres and cost Rs 1,424 crore.
- The project will get adequate connecting infrastructure support through a special purpose vehicle (SPV) formed between central and state agencies.
- The first phase of this project will be completed in two years.
Summits & Conferences
5. India conducts 3rd Ministerial 'No Money for Terror' Conference
- The 3rd Ministerial ‘No Money for Terror’ Conference will be organised by Ministry of Home Affairs on 18th and 19th of November in New Delhi.
- Focus: To advance the international community’s talks on countering terrorist financing held in Paris (2018) and Melbourne (2019).
- In October 2022, India has hosted two international events - The annual General Assembly of Interpol (Delhi) and a special session of the UN Counter-Terrorism Committee (Mumbai and Delhi).
Banking & Finance
6. Moody's slashed India's growth to 7% for 2022
- In a report titled, 'Global Macro Outlook 2023-24: Global economy faces a reckoning over inflation, geopolitics and policy trade-offs', Moody’s has cut the economic growth forecast of India to 7% for the calendar year 2022.
- Reason: Higher inflation, high interest rates and slowing global growth
- The weakening of the rupee and high oil prices continue to exert upward pressures on inflation, which has remained above RBI '4 per cent -/+ 2 per cent’ target inflation range.
Banking & Finance
7. SEBI introduces regulatory framework to facilitate online bond platform
- SEBI has introduced a regulatory framework to facilitate providers of online bond platforms that are selling listed debt securities.
- As per this rule, no person would act as an online bond platform provider without obtaining registration certificate as a stock broker from SEBI
- A person, who is acting as an online bond platform provider without registration certificate prior to the date of this regulation coming into force, can continue to do so for a period of 3 months
8. PV Sindhu launches Fit India School Week Mascots Toofan & Toofani
- Indian Badminton player, PV Sindhu has launched the mascots for Fit India Movement’s Fit India School Week initiative 2022.
- The mascots are “Toofan and Toofani”.
- The 4th edition of Fit India School Week will start on 15 November 2022
- Aim: To celebrate the fitness and sports in various forms and reaffirm its importance amongst the school fraternity.
- Fit India Movement was launched by Prime Minister, Narendra Modi in 2019.
Books & Authors
9. Subodh: 1st edition of NMDC’s Vigilance Magazine released
- National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) vigilance department has released the first edition of its in-house vigilance magazine-“Subodh” at the Head Office in Hyderabad.
- Aim: To reinforce the NMDC’s commitment to fostering honesty and transparency among all stakeholders
- The magazine was released by NMDC CMD, Sumit Deb.
- It was released in the presence of Director (Finance) Amitava Mukherjee, Director (Production) Dilip Kumar Mohanty.
10. Jharkhand Cabinet approves scheme for students and youth
- The Jharkhand Cabinet has approved schemes to promote education and skill development of students and youths.
- Schemes: (1) Mukhya Mantri Shiksha Prothsahan Yojana (MMSPY), (2) Eklavya Prasikshan Yojana (EPY), (3) Guruji Student Credit Card Yojana (GSCCY) and (4) Labour department's Mukhya Mantri Sarathi Yojana (MMSY)
- MMSPY: Class 10 pass students will be provided free coaching at state-based institutions
- EPY: Job-oriented free coaching
- MMSY: Part of State Skill Mission